Apple to celebrate Steve Jobs' birthday with release of new MacBook Pros

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 99
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

New models out right when I'm in the market sounds more like happy birthday to me than happy birthday to Steve...

I second that . I wonder if the new MBP's are made using LiquidMetal.

And I'm not going to congratulate Steve before his birthday! Y'all seem to think he won't make it

Oh and by the way, nice ranting going on here. You're all very friendly people . /me sits back and grabs the popcorn.
  • Reply 82 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I wouldn’t bother. Jobs very well be narcissistic and a bunch of pejorative psychological designation but lamewing’s rants are all his own shortcomings when looking at those that exceed his feeble nature.

The Mac OS X’s dictionary states, self-centeredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.”

Sounds to me like lamewing is the narcissistic one and this is all sour grapes. Funny thing is I bet lamewing would suckle Jobs’ grapes if he ever had the chance.

Please don't push your latent homosexual fantasies on me. Thank you.
  • Reply 83 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

lamewing is lame.

Really? Really?
  • Reply 84 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mplaisance View Post

Bro don't GLOAT, you wish you accoplished a fraction of what that dude did And damn, have a little respect for the man. Love or hate Apple, this is someones husband and father! BAD KARMA FOR YOU!!!!

I don't believe in Karma or any other religious nonsense. Why should I have any more respect for the guy than any other human being? Why does he merit such semi-religious fervor with some Apple fanatics? I have been using Apple products since my first IIc, but I have never felt that Jobs was the equivalent of the second coming. And no, I am not worried about accomplishing as much as Jobs, I am happy with my lot in life.
  • Reply 85 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apparently, he's successful and he doesn't apologize for it, which is more than some people here can stand

We all know what Apple without Steve Jobs looks like. It will slowly be mismanaged to death, products will take too long to reach market and underperform or under-deliver or never reach market (Taligent, Copland), and the company will go chasing Microsoft's business model like they were the Second Coming instead of focusing on what makes Apple unique.

So you define being successful as making money, hand-over-fist? Lovely. I would argue that many people in the world are successful without making large sums of money for themselves and a large corporation.

I agree that Jobs kept Apple afloat and he deserves credit for it, but lets get real folks. He has a rare form of pancreatic cancer; he is past the 5-year mark, which is impressive, but he wouldn't have survived if he didn't start throwing money at the problem. The average Joe on the street would have been allowed to die. He will not live much longer, plain and simple. Nothing magical is going to happen to keep him going. Most likely he will not survive another year. Once he passes (and I feel for the future loss of his family), unless Apple has TRULY learned the lessons of the past, it will being a slow spiral into oblivion. This does not make me a happy person as I like and enjoy using OS X, however iOS is dead to me until Apple gives up the recent, over-the-the money grubbing related to iOS.
  • Reply 86 of 99
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Wow, from ALL of the ranting here, it has become even more apparent, that Steve Jobs, is in fact just like all of us ? DIFFERENT, and I for one, like that we ALL not the same.

It's a wonderful thing, living FREE in a country where we can knock each other for things we know nothing or little about ? and not be hanged for it!

It's nice living in a country where I can read these things, and then comment on them, and not be jailed for life!

Does it suck that he / Apple is choosing not to share the wealth, in ways I want ? sure, but who am I to say what's right?

Does it suck that Apple shares don't pay dividends, yes, but I'm NOT force to buy or sell them if I don't want ? sucks living here!

I could go one forever on this rant, because I can, but I won't.

If SJ is big enough, full of himself enough, powerful enough, IMPORTANT enough, cared for enough, or anything else enough to have Apple products released on his birthday, good for him, someday maybe folks will celebrate my birthday in a big way ? like throwing me a party?

Skip
  • Reply 87 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Black107 View Post

I like Steve for his innovation and showmanship just as much as the next guy, but he is far from a "good" guy. Watch the made-for-tv-movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley." While thats by no means an official biography/historically accurate tale of everything that happened with Apple/Steve, you'll get bits and pieces of what it has been like to deal with him over the past 30+ years.

The picture I've gotten (both from that movie and other accounts) is of an extremely selfish, uncompromising, and abrasive individual.

All this being said, I'll be waiting cash in hand for a new MBP!

all people have something disagreeable about them. you do too i am sure, except that no one cares enough about you to look.
  • Reply 88 of 99
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You're full of crap. Then again you've never worked for the guy and his companies, plural.

I have twice. He's a perfectionist and drives that from top to bottom, but values even the lowly receptionist like no other company I've ever seen.

He was paying a high school senior back in '96 $20/hr to answer the phone at the front receptionist spot, while at NeXT. That girl coveted that job.

He will never be called a tight wad, by his staff. The man pays exceptionally well and expects quality in return.

You don't like it then go work for Microsoft.

Thanks for the inside information. You know, I wonder whether most of the resentment toward Steve is not so much about the man but in fact resentment towards Apple's success. In the dark 90's people were really nasty toward Mac users and Apple was pilloried as irrelevant. Now, Apple is pilloried because it is too relevant and that is a very bitter pill for some to swallow.

I cannot believe that some comments here are allowed to stand. One criterion for submitting a complaint to site moderators is that a post is 'rude'. Many posts here fall into that category. AI has been highjacked in the past and still allows itself now to be. Perhaps like the rest of us, the mods are too busy to notice. (I moderate another site, can keep you busy!)

All the best.
  • Reply 89 of 99
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I don't believe in Karma or any other religious nonsense. Why should I have any more respect for the guy than any other human being? Why does he merit such semi-religious fervor with some Apple fanatics? I have been using Apple products since my first IIc, but I have never felt that Jobs was the equivalent of the second coming. And no, I am not worried about accomplishing as much as Jobs, I am happy with my lot in life.

Through his vision, hard work and that of those around him, Steve Jobs has revolutionised four global industries and is in the process of revolutionising the one he helped usher in to begin with. The consequences of his actions are almost immeasurable.

Your criticisms are completely irrelevant.

Welcome to my ignore list, please add me to yours!
  • Reply 90 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Through his vision, hard work and that of those around him, Steve Jobs has revolutionised four global industries and is in the process of revolutionising the one he helped usher in to begin with. The consequences of his actions are almost immeasurable.

Your criticisms are completely irrelevant.

Welcome to my ignore list, please add me to yours!

Dear Lord. Could you be a little for dramatic.
  • Reply 91 of 99
    Sure are a lot of bitter people out today. I don't know Jobs, nor have I worked for any of his companies but I certainly appreciate all he has accomplished. And I really doubt that if the intro is on his birthday, that it was his call. I think it's just a way of honoring him. People need to lighten up. How does it really affect anyone anyway?
  • Reply 92 of 99
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I was waiting for you to show up too! Thanks for revealing yourself.

Now, there are exactly three losers left that are waiting to show up..... c'mon, c'mon.....

PS: Learn the basics of the language while you languish over my post or before you post the next time... it's "you're"...

Who do you think you are? Either suck up some more so they make you a moderator, or STFU for the benefit of others. You are clueless, and you act like jackass to top it off.

Trolls are one thing. People who know more than you more, are not the same thing.

The day Steve Jobs denounces Al Gore as the sick twisted fraud that he is, I'll say that Steve Jobs is a great guy. Until then, he's not, and no mental gymnastics can change that. That's the entire issue for me, and it's a big one.

Only the most arrogant of morons believe the junk science that human beings have the ability to affect this planet more significantly that the giant glowing ball in the sky, and the unreality is demonstrated by the intention to tax people for living. It's. A. Scam. It's about money, and more money, and little sick maniacal control thrown in too.

Steve supports this kind of deception and looting of people, so he's a bad person. End of story. The day he does not support the carbon tax, he'll be my hero.

(Oh and for the idiots here, none of this has anything to do with protecting the environment. I've seen that happen before, where people are so dumb they think that because you don't "believe" Al Gore, means you hate the earth. LOL. Idiots)
  • Reply 93 of 99
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Can't wait, but it also gives an indication of how big the guy's ego is.

One important piece of information might change that view:

"the company may wish to honor him given his reduced role at Apple during his existing medical leave."

He's not releasing the products himself as he is on leave as someone earlier pointed out. It might even just be a coincidence.

The new chips were launched officially on Sunday so any day this week is fine.
  • Reply 94 of 99
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    All I really want to know is are there better graphics cards coming, because the current ones are woefully underpowered and what's with this onboard SSD stuff? If the rumors are true about an 8-16 gig built in SSD that's a very bad move. Even triple that isn't enough space because you couldn't come close to having enough space for the OS and even a dozen programs, much less having the ability to use BootCamp. If that's the only option I'm out. A machine that costs over 2 grand should have at least an 80 gig SSD standard, especially on a 'Pro' machine like the 17 inch MBP. I wouldn't mind losing the optical drive but if the graphics aren't brought to at least one generation behind and the onboard SSD (if it's there at all) isn't over 32 gig it's a waste of money to upgrade. A stock $2500 machine should have at least the current gen GPU and a decent sized SSD standard. It's time Apple started offering a half decent mobile card, way too overdue in fact.
  • Reply 95 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

All I really want to know is are there better graphics cards coming, because the current ones are woefully underpowered and what's with this onboard SSD stuff? If the rumors are true about an 8-16 gig built in SSD that's a very bad move. Even triple that isn't enough space because you couldn't come close to having enough space for the OS and even a dozen programs, much less having the ability to use BootCamp. If that's the only option I'm out. A machine that costs over 2 grand should have at least an 80 gig SSD standard, especially on a 'Pro' machine like the 17 inch MBP. I wouldn't mind losing the optical drive but if the graphics aren't brought to at least one generation behind and the onboard SSD (if it's there at all) isn't over 32 gig it's a waste of money to upgrade. A stock $2500 machine should have at least the current gen GPU and a decent sized SSD standard. It's time Apple started offering a half decent mobile card, way too overdue in fact.

I think that it might be a good idea for you to read the whole of any of the recent articles that are mentioning SSDs.
  • Reply 96 of 99
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undecided View Post

I think that it might be a good idea for you to read the whole of any of the recent articles that are mentioning SSDs.

Yeah, I read those after that comment. I still think the rumor for a dedicated SSD is a bad idea on anything other than the Air. There's too much space to get rid of a dedicated large size SSD though. 16 gb isn't enough for me on my iPhone so where these rumors of such a small size for just the OS doesn't make any sense to me. Just my most used apps in OSX are way too big for that small a space. It's still up in the air about the GPUs though. They really need to stop shipping parts that are two years or older in a $2500 machine, or at least give the option to get something at least halfway decent and somewhat current. Graphics drivers are still a complete failure is OSX though.
  • Reply 97 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

Yeah, I read those after that comment. I still think the rumor for a dedicated SSD is a bad idea on anything other than the Air. There's too much space to get rid of a dedicated large size SSD though. 16 gb isn't enough for me on my iPhone so where these rumors of such a small size for just the OS doesn't make any sense to me. Just my most used apps in OSX are way too big for that small a space. It's still up in the air about the GPUs though. They really need to stop shipping parts that are two years or older in a $2500 machine, or at least give the option to get something at least halfway decent and somewhat current. Graphics drivers are still a complete failure is OSX though.

I?m not sure what your reading but the rumor of a 16GB SSD boot drive isn?t excluding an SSD/HDD for your primary data drive. It?s a hybrid drive done the right way, with the OS and PC maker in mind, not just the drive maker.
  • Reply 98 of 99
    If i order online today, (processing takes a few days according to the apple website), would i get one of the new machines, or the current edition?
  • Reply 99 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newguy View Post

If i order online today, (processing takes a few days according to the apple website), would i get one of the new machines, or the current edition?

Current, obviously.