Is it possible ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is it possible to dive your hand (whithout any protection, glove or cream) in liquid azot for a short time (let's say one second) and do not suffer injury ?

Is somebody here who want to try to experiment ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Yea,that's a good idea.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Rick1138:

<strong>Yea,that's a good idea.</strong><hr></blockquote>

are you ready ?

someone who want to bet on these boards ?

• Reply 3 of 33
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Have you tried it?
  • Reply 4 of 33
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Ouch.

(Trust me)
  • Reply 5 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Rick1138:

<strong>Have you tried it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

no
  • Reply 6 of 33
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    My brother burned a hole in his jeans when he spilled HCL on it. So, I think I'll pass on volunteering my hand.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by agent302:

<strong>My brother burned a hole in his jeans when he spilled HCL on it. So, I think I'll pass on volunteering my hand.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Acid will burn you , that's clear.

Have you ever eard of the Leidenfrost effect (excuse me for the wrong syntax). ?
  • Reply 8 of 33
    The answer is yes : yes it's possible to dive your hand in liquid azot without harming you.

When i was 17 we visit with your class the center of research of the extreme cold, trying to reach the zero absolute (at this time they couldn't). One of the scientist bring a bottle of liquid azot, and without warning us he drop his hand in it and splash liquid on the floor. You can imagine how we where surprise : it was crazy. He explains us , that in fact at the contact of the warm of the hand there was a small thick of gazeous glove around the hand who protect her (for a short time). He add, you can just try this when puting some water on very hot cooking plates. He said it was the leidhen frost effect (excuse me for the bad syntax).

This was the craziest experience i ever seen in my life.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    [quote]Originally posted by agent302:

<strong>My brother burned a hole in his jeans when he spilled HCL on it. So, I think I'll pass on volunteering my hand.</strong><hr></blockquote>

doesnt do much. ive spilled all kinds of strong acids and bases on my hands, w/ only minor burns. usually they dont do anything if u run the skin under water after. no biggie. it burned a whole in his jeans because he probably didnt neutralize it w/ a base before putting it in the laundry. common mistake...
  • Reply 10 of 33
    scott_h_phdscott_h_phd Posts: 448member
    I guess some thought that azot was acid but it seems now that it's something like liquid nitrogen. Right?
  • Reply 11 of 33
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    My father hasd a crazy physics teacher in college.

He'd do demonstrations with liquid N2. He'd feeze a bananna and nail a nail into some wood. Then he'd hit too hard and the bananna would break and spray very small fragments of bananna glass all over (very hard to clean up with a broom - you needed a hose). he'd the whole piece of wood and nail into the N2, then drop it on the floor. it too shattered.

Then he stuck his finger in. He said - I feel no pain. my digit went completely numb the moment it touched the N2. He then draws it and continues talking. H estarts screaming in pain because it's thawing and the nerves are waking and realiaing just how cold it is. In order to escape the pain, he took a convenient ahmmerr and smashed his finger. It flies across the room in a spray of red human glass.

Most college students realize that no one is stupid enough to do this.

One time when he was demonstrating to a fe whighschoolers, a girl leaned over and threw up.

This is what he did - he was wearing flesh-colored gloves. he kept his hand basically out of sight or curled into a fist or anround soething for most of his talk, so that people cwouldn't notice that his finger was curled into the glove, and there was a tomato-sauced-covered piece of hotdog in the glove's finger. It froze - he had to be careful to physically partition the glo0ve or he would feel real pain. When he smashed it, it was very realistic.

Sounds like an enterrtaining fellow.

You know what;s good? Buy a block of carbon dioxide before a party and drop it into the punch. It will keep it cool while the CO2 sublimates and will make wonderful steaming effect.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    'Azote' is French for nitrogen. I'd assume that 'az' in 'benzodiazepine' indicates nitrogen.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by powerdoc:

<strong>The answer is yes : yes it's possible to dive your hand in liquid azot without harming you.

When i was 17 we visit with your class the center of research of the extreme cold, trying to reach the zero absolute (at this time they couldn't).</strong><hr></blockquote>

They've been able to do this?

AFAIK you can get very VERY close but not to it. Something about the container desentigrating molecularly and then it gets slightly warmer and goes back together instantly...bah, what a fog from science class.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    It depends on the acid, if you ask me. I'd be more inclined, given a financial bribe, to dip my hand in something like citric acid than, say, HydroFlouric acid (HF) which which enter your hand and then eat away at your bones.

HF kills, even in diluted form. I don't think HCl is that bad, but it's still in my look but don't touch category.

Lastly, these acids aren't liquid in pure form, they are gaseous. I'd imagine, though, that some of the more complex acids are liquids.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by scott_h_phd:

<strong>I guess some thought that azot was acid but it seems now that it's something like liquid nitrogen. Right?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes its liquid nitrogen
  • Reply 16 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>

They've been able to do this?

AFAIK you can get very VERY close but not to it. Something about the container desentigrating molecularly and then it gets slightly warmer and goes back together instantly...bah, what a fog from science class.</strong><hr></blockquote>

They are able to get it during very short time with the help of a LASER, in this state all the moleculars elements are organised in a very straight way.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    i went to an open house at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in california awhile ago and this scientist had a demonstration w/ liquid nitrogen. he did a bunch of things, but what i remember most was when he took a cup of liquid nitrogen, put it in his mouth and spit it out. i thought the dude was psycho for doing this, but he claimed that if u only put it in fer a split second, then its no harm...

maybe he was just tricking us to mess w/ our minds...
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Notice if you made this with a porous textile glove it will cause you severe damage injuries.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by powerdoc:

<strong>Is it possible to dive your hand (whithout any protection, glove or cream) in liquid azot for a short time (let's say one second) and do not suffer injury ?</strong><hr></blockquote>Next you will be asking us to operate on ourselves . . .

You definitely have too much time on your hands, powerdoc

- T.I.

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: The Installer ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by The Installer:

<strong>Next you will be asking us to operate on ourselves . . .

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: The Installer ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

This would be definitevely a good idear. Sometimes i think to do to my self some esthetic surgery : what about a lipoaspiration of my abdominal wall ...