Apple says NC data center will support iTunes and MobileMe this spring

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The news suggests that Apple has experienced some delays with the new $1 billion data center in Maiden, N.C., as last October the company said it expected the facility to open "any day now."

Perhaps it doesn't account for all the delay, but didn't the chief architect of the whole thing pass away in the midst if all this?
  • Reply 22 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

[snip]the new $1 billion data center in Maiden, N.C....

For comparison, the existing Newark facility, acquired for an estimated $50 million back in 2006, is 107,000 square feet. Apple's new North Carolina data center will be nearly five times that, at 500,000 square feet, and there have even been suggestions that Apple is already looking to double it to a million square feet.

That is some serious price per square foot inflation for 5 years, especially considering the locations and respective land costs.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

So instead of paying $200 for local storage you're happy to pay $35/mo for the rest of time to have your data in the cloud. I've got to add the major wired and wireless internet companies to my stock portfolio so people like you can finance my retirement.

Happy to help, I guess!

PS. Is online storage really that expensive? $35/mo.

PSS. How's the weather today in Middle Earth?
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

I don't recall the last time Apple offered anything free, and it would sure buck the trend of their recent money grab schemes. In other words, free is not in their DNA.

It would be pretty nice thou as it would instantly make MobileMe more viable.

I originally signed up for the cool features in iChat. However, nobody else wanted to pay $120. So when their trial accounts ended... so did the fun. I didn't renew my account.

'Free' would almost instantly explode the size of the community I would imagine.

Would be nice. I just don't see Apple doing it without a catch.

cheers

Yeah, you're right Mode. What was I thinking!

As you say, "Free" is not really in their vocabulary/DNA! Although, I've been pretty impressed with their free iOS updates on the iPhones.

Best
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

When will we see Apple Earth to replace Google Earth?

Soon I hope! And Apple Search, too. I mean how hard can it be for Apple. Put an Ad in the local Palo Alto paper and hire a boat load of Google engineers!

Best
  • Reply 26 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

In addition, another report suggested that Apple's cloud plans would instead have users serve up their own files from a home computer. Content such as music could be streamed over the Internet to a connected device like an iPhone, as long as the "host" computer is active.

"Report"? That was not a report. It was a wild speculation article from Jim Dalrymple. Wild and stupid.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Again, I pay for it because of the integration. Could it be a lot better, absolutely!

Again, I pay for it because of the integration. Could it be a lot "freer", absolutely!
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Do you suppose that Apple stopped "making" the Xserve because all the production capacity of the Xserves is going exclusively to fill out the NC datacenter?

Then again the last published Xserve was getting rathe old in the silicon.

ARM-based Blade servers -- one flavor, of which, is a home-server "vault".

Think a bunch of small ARM boxes (about the size of an ATV) interconnected with Thunderbolt!

Cringley had the right idea -- just the wrong box!

http://www.cringely.com/2011/02/attack-of-the-minis/
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Anyone know what their current data center is used for?
  • Reply 30 of 52
    What [Peter Oppenheimer?] actually said was that construction on the data center would be completed in the spring. In fact, he stated it that way more than once. I don't know if there's any anticipated delay between when construction is completed and when the data center opens for business, but he explicitly didn't say that it would actually be up and running in the spring.

He said the data center would support Apple's business operations and iTunes and MobileMe, but didn't say anything else that supports any of the conjectures being made.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Anyone know what their current data center is used for?

I don't know *all* the uses, but Apple has significant internal data tracking needs. Consider the millions of customers who register products, buy things online, contact tech support and the billions of transactions that are involved in selling and supporting all those people and products. Then consider all the slicing and dicing required to make sense of that data and to use it to improve operations and customer satisfaction. I think it's also used for off-site backups (Apple recommends nightly backups of all company computers.)
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

ARM-based Blade servers -- one flavor, of which, is a home-server "vault".

Think a bunch of small ARM boxes (about the size of an ATV) interconnected with Thunderbolt!

Cringley had the right idea -- just the wrong box!

http://www.cringely.com/2011/02/attack-of-the-minis/

• Reply 33 of 52
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

I don't recall the last time Apple offered anything free, and it would sure buck the trend of their recent money grab schemes. In other words, free is not in their DNA.

I don't recall the last time anyone offered anything for free.

Its getting to be a cliche, but "If its 'free', YOU'RE the product being sold."
  • Reply 34 of 52
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    We'll see how it plays out.

Personally, I'd rather hit play and know the file is actually going to play.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Just what are they using in their Datacenters now anyway? The Xserve is gone... Maybe they need all the space for their "Mac Pro Servers".
  • Reply 36 of 52
    a_ka_k Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed, AK especially about..."the next time you need a phone, laptop it will be an Apple," etc.

In some ways it's the same rational for not charging for iTunes, if you think about it! Sort of a mini halo effect!

Exactly!!! iTunes is great example. You got it!!! The same work with the rest. For instance, Apple is the only business out there who has not only a presence in retail, in hardware but also online with a platform. Why putting other people ads when you can as simply advertise your stuff? And in this case, the only advertisment required is something like "MobileMe by Apple" that links to their site or iTunes.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:

iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand(I think) come free with every Mac purchase. And, they keep improving each. Among the reasons why many buy Apple Macs.

Or, would you accept the concept of "free" by Google, at the expense of your privacy and identify?

Quote:

Would be nice. I just don't see Apple doing it without a catch.

And, you think Google, Amazon, Microsoft, and other non-Apple companies based their business plan on "altruism"?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

..., but "If its 'free', YOU'RE the product being sold."

And many people forget that.

CGC
  • Reply 38 of 52
    When I bought my first Graphite iMac DV it came with something called iTools. Does anyone remember this? It was similar to .Mac and it was free. I stayed on with it when it morphed into Mobile Me and again when that changed into .Mac. So, maybe Apple is coming full circle.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by proximityeffect

How many annual shareholder meetings does Apple have in a year?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lochias View Post

Only one, typically late February. Not to be confused with quarterly earnings reports, January, April, July, and October.

I wish there was an emoticon to illustrate the effect of a fighter jet whooshing overhead creating a sonic boom, which illustrates that some statement went by so fast that its intended effect was lost.

If an airplane crashed on the border of the US and Canada, where would they bury the survivors? is a typical example of such a riddle.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

I wish there was an emoticon to illustrate the effect of a fighter jet whooshing overhead creating a sonic boom, which illustrates that some statement went by so fast that its intended effect was lost.

If an airplane crashed on the border of the US and Canada, where would they bury the survivors? is a typical example of such a riddle.

Where's Canada?