Radiohead

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
What do you guys think?

I like the surprise release, and then the surprise early release. But although I preordered, it hasn't been made available from the Japan download site yet, so I haven't heard it.

Still, I was one of the few (I guess) who was underwhelmed by In Rainbows, and preferred The Eraser by a lot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I finally found the download and I'm really pissed off. I never received an email that the download was ready. I went to the kingoflimbs.jp site and entered my email address and password, and it said my email address didn't exist [in their database, I presume that to mean]. I entered all of my other email addresses in case I used one of those by accident. I tried "forgot my password" and it didn't work. I entered every email address, and again, every email address failed.

Finally, I clicked a different link that said "download" and it had one more field, for "email address of your paypal account if it's different from the above". I entered my email address, my password, and my paypal email address (which was different), and finally... success!

Apparently their database is really fucked up, and had i not had the wherewithal to keep trying, I would never have gotten the download.

Now to listen to the music.

Have none of you heard it?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Listening to "Lotus Flower"...

Is this Radiohead, or is it Massive Attack? No, but seriously, I like it. Better than In Rainbows so far.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Posting so you don't feel like you are talking to yourself.

Radiohead fan, but feels like they have lost relevance since OK Computer. Glimmers of brilliance since, but nothing to compete with one of the best albums ever written.

Let us know if the latest is good but I am guessing that Radiohead is one of those bands which reached its zenith years ago.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Omega View Post

Posting so you don't feel like you are talking to yourself.

Radiohead fan, but feels like they have lost relevance since OK Computer. Glimmers of brilliance since, but nothing to compete with one of the best albums ever written.

Let us know if the latest is good but I am guessing that Radiohead is one of those bands which reached its zenith years ago.

Thanks for the sympathy lol. I don't agree with them, but loads of people I know had been calling In Rainbows the album of the decade.

Kid A was my favorite Radiohead record by far, and I could name a few dozen bands I like more than Radiohead.

But King of Limbs does seem like an improvement. I'll see how I feel after a few hundred listens. That's when I know if I REALLY like a record.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Eh, Karma Police was good and is fun to play on the guitar, but I'm just not that into them for some reason. Don't know what it is exactly, but just don't see it.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Radiohead is OK, but not great. There are some solid Radiohead albums from the 90's and early 2000's, but after that, in the name of experimentation, they keep going places that don't work. They are kind of like a contemporary version of Yes, when they went too far. But Yes eventually dropped the act and made a few pop albums in the 80's. I'm not sure Radiohead could resurge like that.

Apart from that, I pejoratively call people in the wireless industry who don't understand wireless, "dataheads." Nobody has ever called me a "radiohead" as a response. I'm kind of waiting and hoping.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    It's a good Thom Yorke album.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

It's a good Thom Yorke album.

Listen to it with headphones or with the sound turned WAY up. The band's influence is definitely there.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I don't know... Radiohead is pretty much limited to Rock, Alternative, Indie and Experimental.

There's no Jazz, little classical influence, little dance, no country or folk. I could name twenty bands that are more genre-crossing than Radiohead.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segovius View Post

No folk???

Considering that Thom is looking like a Gypsy Bono lately, I'm surprised that there isn't a Roma influence.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    miroddmirodd Posts: 15member
    I think that too often we fall into the habit of comparing one thing to another rather than looking at them individually and judging them on their own merit. I don't listen to In Rainbows and think about OK, Computer. I try to listen to them individually and get a feel for what the artist is trying to do with the particular album I'm listen to at the moment. Moreover, I don't think one has to sound like the other. I really like OK, Computer and really like In Rainbows. I also really like The Eraser. As to whether one is better than the other, that's the stuff for magazine writers, bloggers, and historians. I like that they experiment. I will admit that not every experience works, but I just want them to keep making music. I haven't bought the new album yet, but I plan to. Maybe I'll like it, maybe I won't, but I'll try to judge it individually, not against my other favorite Radiohead albums.