Apple says NC data center will support iTunes and MobileMe this spring

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Where's Canada?

A gentleman from the old world was once asked where the Great lakes could be found. His answer: "the great-a lakes? Uppa US."
  • Reply 42 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is some serious price per square foot inflation for 5 years, especially considering the locations and respective land costs.

Apple committed to spending that $1B over a number of years. They are apparently building a second DC and have bought land for office space across the street.

Quote:

The bill was structured to give a single company -- identified last month as Apple -- a tax break of up to $46 million over the next 10 years, assuming that company reaches its $1 billion investment target within nine years of beginning the project, provides health insurance for its local employees, meets a wage standard, and foregoes other state grants or tax breaks.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...s_changes.html
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Sounds like MobileMe is going to be free! Apple will out "Google" Google. And by that I mean, we will get MobileMe free and it's integrated in the Apple OS/ecosystem.

I've been a paid MobileMe subscriber for as long as I can remember. Yes, Dropbox is way superior to iDisk, and I never use the Home Page, backup or sharing photos via MobileMe. But the syncing/contacts management and email with all my macs and iP4 is worth the price of admission.

Again, I pay for it because of the integration. Could it be a lot better, absolutely!

Best

Ha. I just found out about the 'backup' feature of Mobile Me last night. I currently iDisk as a backup by having all my documents stored there along with a local mirror image of iDisk. Is the backup feature superior to this approach?
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denmaru View Post

Just what are they using in their Datacenters now anyway? The Xserve is gone... Maybe they need all the space for their "Mac Pro Servers".

I believe they have a large installation of Sun hardware, possibly some IBM stuff. I'd not be at all surprised if there are EMC storage cabinets out the yazoo. And, of course, a certain quantity of xserves (but fewer than most people think).

This is part speculation, and part anecdotal. I know someone who used to work in one of the DCs. While they were usually very tight-lipped, there were occasional bits here and there (that could be pieced together).

As far as the business uses: MobileMe, iTunes store, two App stores, plus all the backoffice stuff needed by a corporation of this size. The NC data center was obviously built for east/west coast redundancy, as well as distributing the load of all those customer facing products. If you saw how that earthquake took out Christchuch NZ, think what would happen if a similar one struck near the Newark CA DC.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand(I think) come free with every Mac purchase. And, they keep improving each. Among the reasons why many buy Apple Macs.

Or, would you accept the concept of "free" by Google, at the expense of your privacy and identify?

And, you think Google, Amazon, Microsoft, and other non-Apple companies based their business plan on "altruism"?

CGC

Facebook, Linkedin, Skype, Pandora, Mozy, YouTube, Craigslist, Dropbox, Text+, Wikipedia, Google Maps, Last FM, Online Radio, Comics.com, Groupon, Hotmail, Yahoo, Google Doc's, millions more...

All free to the consumer.

The iLife suit retails for $50, so I wouldn't exactly call that free (bundles are just that - bundles. I wouldn't consider it free if you have to drop a $1000 to get it).

As far as privacy goes, who is dumb enough to register for these services using their primary email? That's what the free email services are for.

I have doubts that Apple would make MobileMe free, unless their hand was forced to compete.

Question: Why do you think they ask "Where will you be primarily using this computer?" when you register a new OS... for curiosity sake?
  • Reply 46 of 52
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    "MobileMe is now free for one year with purchase of all Apple portables… iPad, MacBooks, iPod touch and iPhone.

And after the first year and for all current customers, we drop the "regular" price to $29 a year.

Here's the kicker… This includes streaming of all iTunes purchases and 50GB of storage of your own data.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    My first thought would be that there really is not a large drive in an Ipad, Iphone, or Ipod to store stuff so the data facility makes sense for cloud storage. My next thought would be maybe this is also connected with services for an AppleTV box that has a custom A8 Cortex processor and a pile of Nand with little purpose yet...
  • Reply 48 of 52
    I thought I once was able to see Apple's new data center in Google maps, when I try now it now I can see just a little of construction site (corner of Elbow Rd and Startown Rd). The address is 6081 Startown Road, Newton, NC 28658.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Quote:

That is some serious price per square foot inflation for 5 years, especially considering the locations and respective land costs.

Maybe it costs more to locate the facility in a bucolic wonderland than an urban death maze?
  • Reply 50 of 52
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antinous View Post

Maybe it costs more to locate the facility in a bucolic wonderland than an urban death maze?

More than likely, the price for the Newark facility was for an empty building.

The new facility costs also includes everything (servers and systems) inside as well as the infrastructure (utilities, roads, comm lines, etc.) to the site.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Quote:

Copper was at what we consider a 'low' back then. Now it's at $4+/lb raw. That goes for everything from cat6A cabe, 600MCM, or what ever you're installing. Copper alone can double a project cost. Not that Apple cares I'm sure...
  • Reply 52 of 52
    What happens when I am below ground say in a subway or when I am in a tunnel?