Leaked photo shows 15" MacBook Pro with i7 CPU and AMD graphics

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeOS View Post

Well, it seems the be an Apple-SKU since the new mobile i7 quad-core chips should start at 2,2 Ghz, not 2.0:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3876/i...bridge-part-ii

AFAIK no MacBook Pro ever handled a 45W CPU as these run too hot (and drain the battery too quickly).

35W had always been the maximum.

According to above link these new quad-core i7 CPUs are all rated at 45W.

Did Apple find a better way of cooling these things?

Or are the CPUs throttled down so they can stay within 35-40W?
  • Reply 22 of 60
    PLEEEASSSSSSEEEEEE get rid of that 8x superdrive. it's complete garbage. esp. if it's not gonna support blu-ray.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

AFAIK no MacBook Pro ever handled a 45W CPU as these run too hot (and drain the battery too quickly).

35W had always been the maximum.

According to above link these new quad-core i7 CPUs are all rated at 45W.

Did Apple find a better way of cooling these things?

Or are the CPUs throttled down so they can stay within 35-40W?

Could be throttled down by Apple itself, or a special bin requested by Apple from Intel (Thus my question about an Apple_SKU).

I would mind a faster one myself and live with the increased power draw (and fan noise), but we'll see whether that options comes to fruition. Probably not.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    These are indeed quite incremental updates. I think the technology is out there to have done better, but there are some things to like and I wonder what the BTO options are.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    People, this is without a doubt the baseline 15" model. I am sure that there are upgrades available in terms of CPU and graphics (better be).
  • Reply 26 of 60
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

2.0 GHz base speed on the processor is pathetic even disgusting

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Typical response from the uneducated. Clock speed is no longer a clear indicator of performance and is only a small part of the package itself

While yes, clock speed is no longer a good indicator, 2 GHz is pretty weak. There are still quite a few apps that don't take good advantage of multiple cores. And there are diminishing returns for adding cores. Going from one to two cores may almost double performance, but four cores won't quadruple performance, not even close.

I'm not saying 2 GHz won't happen, but I'll be very curious to see the performance numbers and how Apple markets it.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? LightPeak makes old ports forward compatible. We JUST had new displays.

New displays would be required if one wants to use the Thunderbolt port AND has a display hooked up. Otherwise, the optical connections (if they truly are optical) are inaccessible.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

While yes, clock speed is no longer a good indicator, 2 GHz is pretty weak. There are still quite a few apps that don't take good advantage of multiple cores. And there are diminishing returns for adding cores. Going from one to two cores may almost double performance, but four cores won't quadruple performance, not even close.

I'm not saying 2 GHz won't happen, but I'll be very curious to see the performance numbers and how Apple markets it.

I am good with the numbers as long as it will step up. No reason for the chip to be a space heater when I am thinking. My thought is that this is probably why computers take over the world, they are board waiting for us to press a key, any key.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

While yes, clock speed is no longer a good indicator, 2 GHz is pretty weak. There are still quite a few apps that don't take good advantage of multiple cores. And there are diminishing returns for adding cores. Going from one to two cores may almost double performance, but four cores won't quadruple performance, not even close.it.

Which is why Intel added Turbo Boost to their multi-core CPU's, as stated elsewhere. If the CPU thinks you are not running enough at the same time to warrant using all cores, it simply shuts them down and increases the frequency of the other ones, to get the best of both worlds: multi-core performance where possible, single-threaded performance otherwise. It's been in the i series for over a year.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Typical response from the uneducated. Clock speed is no longer a clear indicator of performance and is only a small part of the package itself.

Clock speed is a clear indicator of performance within a family of processors. The problem is we have a new architecture that does much better based on instructions executed per clock and then Apple pisses all that away by underclocking the processor. That clearly sucks.

Quote:

The multi cores work together at the base 2.0Ghz speed but if you are running a non multi-threaded application it will 'power off' 3 cores and boost the clock speed of a single core, in this case probably to 2.8GHZ or 3.0Ghz

Do you think that I didn't know this when I wrote my comments? Beyound that "probably" isn't a very firm position to take, until we see exactly how Apple has clocked the machine and set up the firmware we don't know what the boost clock will be.

The big problem is the massive roll back in performance if you make use of all those cores.

Quote:

Also, nice to see Apple going with AMD/Ati graphics. I steer clear of all nvidia based Macs as they are the weakest component. I have had 3 iMacs with nvidia all fail due to a blown gpu card. The Ati iMacs have all been bulletproof. Having the option to switch to discreet graphics is good for an extra performance boost.

I have no specific problem with AMD GPUs and did not focus on that component. For my needs the rumored GPU is fine but for many it is pretty underwhelming for many others.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:

2.0 GHz base speed on the processor is pathetic even disgusting, i really don't care how much better the CPU is performance wise on a per cycle basis either.

2.0ghz quad core on a mobile platform is pathetic?
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post

Nooo!!!!! 1680x1050 should be standard! I sure hope this is the low end model, or I'm waiting for the next rev!

These are poor updates, all the attention has been on iPhone and iPad. Poor neglected Mac division... Intel must have made Apple offers they couldn't refuse to keep Apple buying enough x86 stuff. These updates are all just Intel, Intel, Intel. I bet you the GPU is nothing much to sneeze at. 256mb RAM? What a F*** joke. 5400rpm drives? 1440x900? What is this, 2005?
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

2.0ghz quad core on a mobile platform is pathetic?

The CPU is no doubt impressive. But we all know nowadays for most tasks it's not all about the CPU. The fact that nothing else has changed much means basically in the last six months Intel has lobbied hard and furious to shove everything Intel up Apple as much as possible, and Apple took the bait.

And so much for gaming on the Mac, in one or two revisions iPad will have better gaming graphics than this "new" MBP 13" with Intel's BundleGate RubbishGPUs.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    FACETIME available in the MAC App Store for .99 !!!!!

It just appeared today!
  • Reply 35 of 60
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

2.0 GHz base speed on the processor is pathetic even disgusting,

It's a quad-core CPU that has a turbo function for when fewer cores are in use.

2.0GHz is a BASE clock. This chip can go up to 2.9GHz.

In addition the graphics can Turbo from 650MHz to 1100MHz (2630QM) or even 1200MHz (2635QM).

Stop and think before spouting off, eh?
  • Reply 36 of 60
    It looks like, pictured above, that the 17" has an AMD 6750 with 1gb. That is pretty legit, isn't it?
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adkinsadam1 View Post

People, this is without a doubt the baseline 15" model. I am sure that there are upgrades available in terms of CPU and graphics (better be).

Base is an apt word. How long has the base model been at 256mb VRAM? 3 years now?
  • Reply 38 of 60
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

What? Radeon HD 6490M? That's a step backward from the GT 330M in the current ones. Apple doesn't do steps backward in the models with Dedi GPUs. Sideways, yes. Forward, yes. But going back to something about on par with the 9600M GT? Doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, it's 160 shaders - a new design (Caicos). It's probably there for OpenCL, it's probably not even twice as fast as the HD3000. Strange choice.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adkinsadam1 View Post

It looks like, pictured above, that the 17" has an AMD 6750 with 1gb. That is pretty legit, isn't it?

Sure, it is a great laptop with nice VRAM, excellent GPU. For a price.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    It looks like the future of MacBooks is further away than we think. Steve, your genius will never be realised enough. Never.