This Was The iMac Show: G5s To Follow

tjmtjm
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It is obvious that the top-end iMac is now a much better value that any of the PM line. It is obvious to Steve and the rest at Apple, too.

So why no new PMs? The current lines are very tired and in need of an overhaul. Why not announce them today?

I can think of two reasons:

1) The new hardware was not ready. This seems rather unlikely. Apple could put together a new MoBo architecture for dual/quad G4s if G5s weren't ready. This is not that hard and they've had plenty of time to do it. I think these systems are ready, actually.

2) Steve is really proud of the new iMac and didn't want it upstaged by the G5-based hardware. He is willing to take the howls from the power users at the moment in order to give the iMac center stage for a couple weeks. I think this is almost certainly the case.

Think about it - would we even be talking about the iMac if G5 PMs had shown, too? After having watched the show, I think I would have forgotten all about the iMac if he had "Oh, one more thing"-ed on the G5. Also, I think the G5s will be significant enough to merit their own spotlight in a couple weeks, rather than a tag-on at the end of the program. Overall, it would have been an overly-rich dinner that would have left us with a bad case of "wow" overload.

Remember, Steve is not stupid, and neither are the rest of the folks at Apple. He is thinking long term, and wants the new iMac to get rolling in its own right before being overshadowed by its big brother.

So, MacWorld Tokyo should be interesting. I think we'll see G5s and monitors there.

My $0.02, anyway.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: TJM ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    You know what they say: there's no delusion like self-delusion.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs ?:

<strong>You know what they say: there's no delusion like self-delusion. </strong><hr></blockquote>

So, your conclusion is that Steve Jobs is a complete idiot and can't tell that the iMacs are better deals than the PMs?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Of course Steve knows that, but he's punting. The faster PowerMacs ARE NOT READY. If they had been ready, they would have been released.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    The timing was awkward. All indications are that Apollos are not quite up to snuff, and won't be for another month or so.....

Tokyo is gonna rock, kids.

SdC
  • Reply 5 of 6
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I think it's much smarter for Apple this way:

It has all sorts of people lusting over the iMac, consumers, prosumers--prosumers being people that would normally go for a Power Mac. I'm sure some of them won't be able to wait for G5s, and buy an iMac, only to upgrade to a PowerMac G5 in the next 1-6 months (depending..). If the G5 had been released this MWSF, plenty of people that will end up buying the iMac and then the G5 later on would probably not buy both if they could just have the G5 now. Like murbot
  • Reply 6 of 6
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Sorry Tokyo is March 21-23, not the traditional February date. So if that's the target date for updated PM's, then all versions of the iMac II should be shipping by then, leaving pros ample time to scratch their heads and order up a PC.

I hope it comes earlier than that--PM kickbacks expire Jan 31. Hint hint.