Apple's introduces 15-, 17-in. MacBook Pros with quad-core i7 CPUs, AMD GPUs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's new high-end 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pros feature the latest quad-core Sandy Bridge Core i7 processors from Intel, as well as AMD Radeon HD graphics and the new high-speed Thunderbolt port.

Overview

The powerful 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro models feature Intel quad-core Core i7 processors up to 2.3 GHz and AMD Radeon HD graphics processors with up to 1GB of video memory for high performance gaming, pro video editing and graphics intensive applications.

Sandy Bridge architecture

The new Core i7 chips, which are part of Intel's new Sandy Bridge architecture, also include integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3SDRAM shared with the main memory. Apple uses its own unique automated graphics switching technology to allow these higher-performance MacBook Pro models to switch between these integrated graphics chips and the more powerful discrete graphics processors from AMD.

More powerful graphics

The 15-inch MacBook Pro features an AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR5 memory on the 2.0GHz configuration, or an AMD Radeon HD 6750M GPU with 1GB of GDDR5 memory with the 2.2GHz configuration. The high-end 17-inch MacBook Pro features the AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB of GDDR5 standard.

Thunderbolt and FaceTime HD

Like the new 13-inch model, the updated MacBook Pros also have a high-speed Thunderbolt port and a new FaceTime HD camera with triple the resolution of the previous generation.

Featuring two bi-directional channels with transfer speeds up to 10Gbps each, Thunderbolt delivers PCI Express directly to external high performance peripherals such as RAID arrays, and can support FireWire and USB consumer devices and Gigabit Ethernet networks via adapters.

Thunderbolt also supports DisplayPort for high resolution displays and works with existing adapters for HDMI, DVI and VGA displays. Freely available for implementation on systems, cables and devices, Thunderbolt technology is expected to be widely adopted as a new standard for high performance I/O.

Unibody enclosures

The MacBook Pro lineup continues to feature its same aluminum unibody enclosure, glass Multi-Touch trackpad, LED-backlit widescreen display, illuminated full-size keyboard and 7-hour battery.

EPEAT Gold status

Every Mac notebook achieves EPEAT Gold status and meets Energy Star 5.0 requirements. Each unibody enclosure is made of highly recyclable aluminum and comes standard with energy efficient LED-backlit displays that are mercury-free and made with arsenic-free glass. Mac notebooks contain no brominated flame retardants, are PVC-free and are constructed with recyclable materials.

In addition, each new MacBook Pro comes with Mac OS X Snow Leopard and iLife, AppleÂ?s suite of applications for creating and sharing photos, movies and music.

Features included with new Core i5 and i7 chips

New Intel Core i5 and i7 chips up to 2x faster at the core

New quad-core Intel Core i7 processors are standard on the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro, and use IntelÂ?s recently refined chipsets. This makes the new MacBook Pros perform up to twice as fast as the previous generation, capable of handling demanding tasks like editing HD video, compiling audio, or rendering a multilayered image file. And ac OS X Snow Leopard is designed to take advantage of every processor core, maximizing performance.

Faster single-chip microarchitecture

The latest Intel Core architecture puts the processor, cache, memory controller, and graphics engine on a single chip. Data travels a shorter distance, allowing for greater efficiency.

Turbo Boost 2.0

Turbo Boost is a dynamic performance technology that automatically increases the speed of the active cores Â? up to 3.4GHz. Turbo Boost 2.0 is even more dynamic and efficient. By shifting core frequency in smaller increments than before, it allows the processor to manage performance without sacrificing efficiency.

Hyper-Threading

Hyper-Threading is now standard on every MacBookÂ*Pro. This technology allows two threads to run simultaneously on each core, so MacÂ*OSÂ*X recognizes eight virtual cores on a quad-core processor and four on a dual-core processor. When youÂ?re running multiple applications at once, the processor spreads tasks more evenly across a greater number of cores.

Integrated memory controller

With faster access to memory, each core can get right to work on your data, rather than waiting for it to arrive. ThatÂ?s why the new Intel Core architecture uses an integrated memory controller to connect fast 1333MHz memory directly to the processor. Together with up to 8MB of shared L3 cache, the integrated memory controller helps your applications run at peak performance.

Energy-efficient graphics

Thanks to the new microarchitecture, the graphics processor is on the same chip as the central processor and has direct access to L3 cache. That proximity translates into performance. The graphics processor also automatically increases clock speeds for higher workloads. An integrated video encoder enables HD video calls with FaceTime, while an efficient decoder gives you long battery life when youÂ?re watching DVDs or iTunes movies.

Technical Specifications

15-inch MacBook Pro:

The new 15-inch MacBook Pro has Intel's latest Core i7 Sandy Bridge quad-core processors, available in speeds of 2.0GHz, coupled with a AMD Radeon HD 6490M GPU, or 2.2GHz, paired with a AMD Radeon HD 6750M GPU. It also features the new high-speed Thunderbolt port, which allows data transfers of up to 10Gbps in addition to audio and video connections, as well as a FaceTime HD camera with 720p resolution.

\tSize and weight

\tHeight: 0.95 inch (2.41 cm)

\tWidth: 14.35 inches (36.4 cm)

\tDepth: 9.82 inches (24.9 cm)

\tWeight: 5.6 pounds (2.54 kg)

\tConnections and expansion

\tMagSafe power port

\tGigabit Ethernet port

\tFireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)

\tTwo USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)

\tThunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)

\tAudio line in

\tAudio line out

\tSDXC card slot

\tKensington lock slot

\tDisplay

\tGlossy

\tAntiglare

\t15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy or optional antiglare widescreen display with support for millions of colors

\tSupported resolutions: 1440 by 900 (native), 1280 by 800, 1152 by 720, 1024 by 640, and 800 by 500 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio stretched; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio stretched

\tGraphics and video support

\tAMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR5 memory on 2.0GHz configuration; or AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory on 2.2GHz configuration

\tIntel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

\tAutomatic graphics switching

\tDual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

\tFaceTime HD camera

\tThunderbolt port

\tProcessor and memory

\t2.0GHz or 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 6MB shared L3 cache; or optional 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB shared L3 cache

\t4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1333MHz DDR3 memory; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 8GB

\tStandard Configurations: 2.0 GHz or 2.2 GHz

\tStorage

\t500GB or 750GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive; optional 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive, 500GB 7200-rpm hard drive, or 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB solid-state drive6

\t8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

\tMaximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW

\tMaximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD

\tBattery and power

\tup to 7 hrs wireless web

\tBuilt-in 77.5-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery

\t85W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system

\tMagSafe power port

\t17-inch MacBook Pro

The updated 17-inch MacBook Pro comes standard with a 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 6MB shared L3 cache, but users can upgrade to an or optional 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB shared L3 cache. Like the rest of the updated MacBook Pro lineup, it also features the new high-speed Thunderbolt port, which allows data transfers of up to 10Gbps in addition to audio and video connections, as well as a FaceTime HD camera with 720p resolution.

\tSize and weight

\tHeight: 0.98 inch (2.50 cm)

\tWidth: 15.47 inches (39.3 cm)

\tDepth: 10.51 inches (26.7 cm)

\tWeight: 6.6 pounds (2.99 kg)

\tConnections and expansion

\tMagSafe power port

\tGigabit Ethernet port

\tFireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)

\tThree USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)

\tThunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)

\tAudio line in

\tAudio line out

\tExpressCard/34 slot

\tKensington lock slot

\tDisplay

\tGlossy

\tAntiglare

\t17-inch (diagonal) high-resolution LED-backlit glossy or optional antiglare widescreen display with support for millions of colors

\tSupported resolutions: 1920 by 1200 (native), 1680 by 1050, 1280 by 800, 1152 by 720, 1024 by 640, and 800 by 500 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio; 1280 by 1024 pixels at 5:4 aspect ratio; 1280 by 1024 pixels at 5:4 aspect ratio stretched; 1600 by 1200, 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio; 1600 by 1200, 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio stretched; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio stretched

\tGraphics and video support

\tAMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

\tIntel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

\tAutomatic graphics switching

\tDual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

\tFaceTime HD camera

\tThunderbolt port

\tProcessor and memory

\t2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 6MB shared L3 cache; or optional 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB shared L3 cache

\t4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1333MHz DDR3 memory; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 8GB

\tStandard Configuration: 2.2 GHz

\tStorage

\t750GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive; optional 500GB 7200-rpm hard drive or 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB solid-state drive6

\t8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

\tMaximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW

\tMaximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD

\tBattery and power

\tup to 7 hrs wireless web

\tBuilt-in 95-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery

\t85W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system

\tMagSafe power port

Pricing & Availability

The new 15-inch MacBook Pro is available in two models: one with a 2.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6490M and 500GB hard drive starting at $1,799 and one with a 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M and 750GB hard drive starting at $2,199.

The new 17-inch MacBook Pro features a 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M and 750GB hard drive and is priced at $2,499.

Configure-to-order options include faster quad-core processors up to 2.3 GHz, additional hard drive capacity up to 750GB, solid state storage up to 512GB, more memory up to 8GB DDR3, antiglare and high-resolution display options and AppleCare® Protection Plan. Additional technical specifications and configure-to-order options and accessories are available online at www.apple.com/macbookpro.

Save on new MacBook Pros through Apple's Resellers

Several Apple Authorized Resellers have also begun discounting the new MacBook Pros and AppleInsider expects to offer discount coupons within the next few hours. Exact pricing will automatically update in our Mac Pricing Guide, the MacBook Pro section of which is included below:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 180
    Zzzz iPad 2 please... And what's up with these forums? Everything seems so dead. I would have at least been insulted several times now with my comments of the past few hours.
  • Reply 2 of 180
    Optional SSD & matte display. The store isn't back up yet, so I don't know prices, but it seems Apple is offering a pretty wide range of configuration options.

Nothing about Thunderbolt based docking station, though. I hope we see one of those soon.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 3 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Zzzz iPad 2 please... And what's up with these forums? Everything seems so dead. I would have at least been insulted several times now with my comments of the past few hours.

Shut up nerd!
  • Reply 4 of 180
    Quote:

I would have at least been insulted several times now with my comments of the past few hours.

You're an idiot. Feel better now?

- Jasen.
  • Reply 5 of 180
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    The AMD 6750M is a pretty decent GPU even for gaming. And at least we now have quad cores on laptops.

Its a nice incremental upgrade but no design changes were made toward the Macbook Air design. There is a "hunger" for the Air, which makes me wonder when are they going to refresh it to Sandy Bridge and HD3000 GPU?

Anyone knows how you can connect multiple things to thunderbolt? Is there an external device with multiple connectors sold seperatly?

The option to replace the HD by SSD is GREAT, but the prices are very high. Like 150 to 250$ on 13 and 15 inch models
  • Reply 6 of 180
    Whew it's been a long wait for me since my Powerbook died last November. 15 in. here I come! Can't wait for the store to be back up.
  • Reply 7 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrStrangeL0ve71 View Post

Shut up nerd!

Thanks!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

You're an idiot. Feel better now?

- Jasen.

Yes!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The AMD 6750M is a pretty decent GPU even for gaming. And at least we now have quad cores on laptops.

Its a nice incremental upgrade but no design changes were made toward the Macbook Air design. There is a "hunger" for the Air, which makes me wonder when are they going to refresh it to Sandy Bridge and HD3000 GPU?

Anyone knows how you can connect multiple things to thunderbolt? Is there an external device with multiple connectors sold seperatly?

Good points:

AMD 6750M GPU 1GB

DualCore and QuadCore

Thunderbolt

Bad points:

MBP 13" and base MBP 15"

Lack of Thunderbolt peripherals

Seeming discordance in MBP range

No redesign

Unknown points:

Hopefully cheaper SSD
  • Reply 8 of 180
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

devices are daisy-chained ... i imagine like firewire or scsi. apple has links to "learn more" about the tech, eventually leading to intel's site at http://www.intel.com/technology/io/t...bolt/index.htm
  • Reply 9 of 180
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I wonder how often the CPU will go to Turbo boost in a laptop as thin as the MBP? If not often, then the 2.0GHz will really be felt. I would like to see some professional reviewers look in to this question.
  • Reply 10 of 180
    Actually I'm enjoying myself. The Apple SlamBoys would have been all over this like flies on poop. Where are they? Man, this material is gold for them.

Yes I WILL CALM DOWN SOON.

BruceP where are you we need your sage (though borderline incomprehensible) take on things!
  • Reply 11 of 180
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

No redesign

But did you really expect a redesign without a press conference? That's where all the speculation of no more optical drives and such made no sense to me. If there had been a major redesign, Apple would have had the requisite dog and pony show.
  • Reply 12 of 180
    Why on earth are there still Superdrives in these things?
  • Reply 13 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

But did you really expect a redesign without a press conference? That's where all the speculation of no more optical drives and such made no sense to me. If there had been a major redesign, Apple would have had the requisite dog and pony show.

Honestly, IMO it would have been possible for Apple to have done a redesign to make it more Air-like without having to do any theatrics, especially since Steve is not well.
  • Reply 14 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

No idea.
  • Reply 15 of 180
    Quote:

You may never use a DVD or a CD but the vast majority of users still use them. Hell, I just burned a couple DVDs this past week.
  • Reply 16 of 180
    Quote:

From the Features page:

"After using iMovie and iDVD to edit and apply the finishing touches to your home movie, use the 8x SuperDrive on MacBook Pro to burn it to DVD in no time."

From the Thunderbolt page:

"If you?re a video editor, imagine connecting high-performance storage, a high-resolution display, and high-bit-rate video capture devices to handle all the post-production for a feature film ? right on your notebook."

While I'm not as passionate about it as some, I'm also in the camp that rarely uses the DVD drive and would rather the space be used for something else. (And not a Blu-Ray drive. )

- Jasen.
  • Reply 17 of 180
    My expectations were way off... See y'all later at iPad event liveblog.
  • Reply 18 of 180
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I wonder how often the CPU will go to Turbo boost in a laptop as thin as the MBP? If not often, then the 2.0GHz will really be felt. I would like to see some professional reviewers look in to this question.

My late 2010 MMP i7 does it all the time with use of video when playing just about any game and any sniff of flash ... I expect it will be pretty much the same on the new models. I had fun monitoring this for a while but the fan is the sure sign it has kicked in ... unless of course our cat has snuggled up to the back of the MBP cutting of air flow which she has done on several occasion!
  • Reply 19 of 180
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Honestly, IMO it would have been possible for Apple to have done a redesign to make it more Air-like without having to do any theatrics, especially since Steve is not well.

But Apple are specifically doing theatrics next week, so obviously they are still down for theatrics. I think you were hoping rather than thinking logically.
  • Reply 20 of 180
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

From the Features page:

"After using iMovie and iDVD to edit and apply the finishing touches to your home movie, use the 8x SuperDrive on MacBook Pro to burn it to DVD in no time."

From the Thunderbolt page:

"If you?re a video editor, imagine connecting high-performance storage, a high-resolution display, and high-bit-rate video capture devices to handle all the post-production for a feature film ? right on your notebook."

While I'm not as passionate about it as some, I'm also in the camp that rarely uses the DVD drive and would rather the space be used for something else. (And not a Blu-Ray drive. )

- Jasen.

I agree, I think I've used mine twice in a year! That was to reinstall Final Cut Studio and check out an old DVD. The day is approaching when they will be gone for sure. An external DVD drive with Thunderbolt kept in a draw is all we'll need for legacy uses.