Apple prepping Yerba Buena Center for March 2 iPad event

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
In advance of a March 2 media event where Apple is expected to unveil the next iPad, the company has begun posting promotional signage at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco.

Photos of the downtown San Francisco venue obtained by MacNN late Wednesday, show a large Apple logo surrounded by numerous colorful dots.

Invitations to the March 2 event, which contained a calendar date for March 2 being peeled away to reveal an iPad, went out to members of the media earlier this week, confirming earlier reports that had revealed the date.

Apple unveiled the original iPad at the Yerba Buena Center over a year ago. The venue has also hosted a number of other Apple product announcements over the years.

For example, last year's Sept. 1 iPod and Apple TV event was heavily focused on music and featured a guitar with an Apple logo on the outside of the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts.

It is widely believed that the next iPad will feature at least one FaceTime capable camera, though several reports have suggested that the device will have both a front- and rear-facing camera.

The touchscreen tablet will also likely have an improved anti-reflection display and will be thinner and lighter. A reliable source told AppleInsider last month that the device will feature an upgraded dual-core SGX543 graphics processor from Imagination Technologies. Apple is also expected to increase the RAM and include a faster CPU on the device.

Customers hoping for a major overhaul of the device next week, however, may be in for disappointment, as reports have surfaced that the upgrade will more closely resemble a version 1.5 upgrade than a full redesign. Earlier this month, speculation arose that Apple is planning a second iPad update for the fourth quarter of this year.

An unverified report on Wednesday suggested that Apple's initial ambitions for the March 2 iPad refresh had been deferred to an update later this year, with the models set to be released next week serving as an interim solution.

Concord Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo told AppleInsider last week that a second update to the iPad will include a double-resolution display, which had originally been rumored to as an addition to the second-generation iPad. Production bottlenecks and unfeasible costs are likely the cause of the rumored delay.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    If it has a new GPU and new cameras they might call it iPad AV.

But personally I don't see why that's not a good enough upgrade to be called iPad 2, esp. if it's noticeably thinner.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    It would be pretty typical for Apple to make this release an incremental update. It would also be typical to make the one after this a more thorough reworking. The only atypical thing would be if Apple pushed up the release date of that model to fall/winter of this year.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It would be pretty typical for Apple to make this release an incremental update. It would also be typical to make the one after this a more thorough reworking. The only atypical thing would be if Apple pushed up the release date of that model to fall/winter of this year.

when do u think we can buy it in the US
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If it has a new GPU and new cameras they might call it iPad AV.

But personally I don't see why that's not a good enough upgrade to be called iPad 2, esp. if it's noticeably thinner.

• Reply 5 of 42
    A black Apple is on the back of the iPad... no surprise there... I think the dots are finger prints.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    i like to think the dots are pixels
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wad214 View Post

When it's released...
  • Reply 8 of 42
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Let's not forget that the iPad 1 has not been on sale everywhere for a whole year. They rolled it out rather slowly around the world because they couldn't build them fast enough. Maybe they will go with a speed/spec bump now to keep it fresh then release iPad 2 in Sept alongside the iPod updates. Maybe they'll unify the iPod/iPad designs and release in Sept every year so they have the latest version in the shops ready for the back to school/college and christmas buying season.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    There is an obvious problem with the claim that what we're about to get is iPad 1.5. If that were the case, Apple would simply not hold a media event to unveil it.

If later today, the MacBook Pro line is unveiled without a media event that features Sandy Bridge, Thunderbolt, the OS on an SSD, and then, a week later the iPad gets a minor revision unveiled at a media event, well, imagine the negative reaction. Seems to me that if it's easy for any of us to imagine it, the folks running Apple would certainly be able to.

I get that Apple is not holding a media event today for the Macbook update because it doesn't want to steal any of intel's, well, Thunderbolt. But don't you think that if Apple had a minor revision planned for the iPad, it would simply announce that revision rather quietly.

For some reason, there is a rather curious longing to be able to regularly generate iPad rumours. So, in order for the rumours to just keep on coming despite the release of a new iPad, it has to be suggested that this update is not really an update, per se. We will get a lighter, faster iPad, with Thunderbolt, more RAM, cameras, and an enhanced screen but it will be characterized as being iPad 1.5 because wait until you see what the fall will bring. What the fall will bring, if the iPad gets all of the preceding on March 2, is a new iPod line. Why would Apple bother to update the iPad in a matter of months when it's years ahead of the competition. If the iPad we will get on March 2 sells exceptionally well and is in absolute terms a fine product, Apple will just keep on building them through to next spring, making loads of cash. What's in it for Apple to change the product so quickly?

The big question is,what's with all the rumours? What do those generating all the rumours get out of it? Rumours have always been there but I have never seen so many obviously groundless rumours generated as we've seen in the past year in connection with the iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Does anyone else think that whilst being possible, a second release of hardware this is unlikely?

If the rumors (?!?!) are true then the iPad should be receiving a processer, memory and GPU update. It may also have a slight varation to the display (not retina or anything close, but some modification.

Surely releasing a new one in 2H would be overkill - Its only about another 6 months to what would be an annual update window. Perhaps much more feasibile would be a release of iOS5 in 2H with improved notifications system, mail, maps, youtube and calander app (perhaps linked to Mobile - calander and notes being synced) - nothing overly revolutionary but positive steps in the light of Honeycomb - I love the iOS it is starting to look a little dated in some areas in comparision, Little tweaks might fit in really well. Imagiane a cover flow style scrolling of folder contents - with enlarged icons, small little refinments - that may explain the 2X icons that have been floating around.

Anyway Flame away!
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I get that Apple is not holding a media event today for the Macbook update because it doesn't want to steal any of intel's, well, Thunderbolt. But don't you think that if Apple had a minor revision planned for the iPad, it would simply announce that revision rather quietly?

No. The iPad is the hottest item on the market right now. Any significant change to it warrants special attention.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rendomizer View Post

i like to think the dots are pixels

Ah, the old "huge dots means they're going back to 320x240" routine.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Edmund0Dantes View Post

Does anyone else think that whilst being possible, a second release of hardware this is unlikely? Surely releasing a new one in 2H would be overkill - It's only about another 6 months to what would be an annual update window. Perhaps much more feasibile would be a release of iOS5 in 2H with improved notifications system, mail, maps, youtube and calander app (perhaps linked to Mobile - calander and notes being synced) - nothing overly revolutionary but positive steps in the light of Honeycomb?

Perhaps, but not necessarily. If there's any merit to the rumors about the delays affecting the higher-resolution displays, a hardware bump in Q3 or Q4 when the better displays are more practical for Apple is reasonable (timed for either the back-to-school or holiday shopping season). And, as you point out, an iOS 5 debut around that time frame would fit Apple's "loosely defined" iOS update schedule. Next week's iPad event may outline a road map of iPad expansion as it relates to updates to iOS.

A more powerful iPad with a denser screen capable of video editing (as some desire) would be overkill for average users with less demanding needs. I think Apple will offer multiple iPad options (i.e., all the same physical size, but different specs at different price points) to meet the needs of different users.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Rumors, speculation and wish list fantasies make every Apple product revision a .5 upgrade.

Yes some of the purported "features" will be missing but this doesn't mean the new iPad will be a stunted product not worthy of a version 2 status.

Apple has been watching the Android pads and really needs to define how much better the iPad is to anyone of those clones. 6 months from now would be too soon for another update and would only make sense if Apple wanted to realign iPad revisions with the holiday shopping season.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    i think i have this one. i think the dots are location "tokens", that will allow us to create points of interest on apple's new map overlay (based on placebase acquisition). hopefully they're also a reference to balloons as well, in honor of steve's b day. happy birthday mr jobs!
  • Reply 16 of 42
    I really don't see why this would only be a .5 update, I don't see Apple holding a special event for something that would be a 1.5. I believe it will be a full iPad 2 and as for the rumors for an iPad 3 in the fall makes no sense at all to me. The fall quarter is only 6 months away they wouldn't do an iPad 2 and then a 3 that quick.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It will definitely be the first gadget with Thunderbolt, I agree with that.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Correct me if my memory isn't right, but wasn't the 3GS just an incremental update to the 3G? And THAT was a big deal.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

There is an obvious problem with the claim that what we're about to get is iPad 1.5. If that were the case, Apple would simply not hold a media event to unveil it.

If later today, the MacBook Pro line is unveiled without a media event that features Sandy Bridge, Thunderbolt, the OS on an SSD, and then, a week later the iPad gets a minor revision unveiled at a media event, well, imagine the negative reaction. Seems to me that if it's easy for any of us to imagine it, the folks running Apple would certainly be able to.

I get that Apple is not holding a media event today for the Macbook update because it doesn't want to steal any of intel's, well, Thunderbolt. But don't you think that if Apple had a minor revision planned for the iPad, it would simply announce that revision rather quietly.

For some reason, there is a rather curious longing to be able to regularly generate iPad rumours. So, in order for the rumours to just keep on coming despite the release of a new iPad, it has to be suggested that this update is not really an update, per se. We will get a lighter, faster iPad, with Thunderbolt, more RAM, cameras, and an enhanced screen but it will be characterized as being iPad 1.5 because wait until you see what the fall will bring. What the fall will bring, if the iPad gets all of the preceding on March 2, is a new iPod line. Why would Apple bother to update the iPad in a matter of months when it's years ahead of the competition. If the iPad we will get on March 2 sells exceptionally well and is in absolute terms a fine product, Apple will just keep on building them through to next spring, making loads of cash. What's in it for Apple to change the product so quickly?

The big question is,what's with all the rumours? What do those generating all the rumours get out of it? Rumours have always been there but I have never seen so many obviously groundless rumours generated as we've seen in the past year in connection with the iPad.

Apple's never had a problem doing what most would consider incremental upgrades while putting on the full dog and pony show. If the iPad 2 gets CPU and memory bumps, maybe Thunderbolt, lighter, thinner case, better battery life, and some kind of improvement to the screen, Apple will treat it as a major update. Random punditry speaking of the iPad "1.5" are irrelevant to Apple's plans.

That doesn't preclude, however, Apple moving the launch of the iPad 3 up to a fall/winter timeframe. Not saying it's going to happen, just that the market Apple is working in (incredibly important for the future of the company, with a recent object lesson in the explosive growth of Android phones and an army of competitors about to launch) might prod Apple to accelerate their usual schedule of updates.

For instance, it seems likely that Apple would want to put a "retina display" on the iPad as soon as that's technically/financially feasible; it would make for a great experience and would be a killer competitive feature. If that wasn't possible now but will be in, say, September, would Apple insist on standing pat until next March or April, just because that's been their standard release cycle? By Apple's lights, however, that in no way reduces the iPad 2 to 1.5 status, anymore than the iPhone 5 made the 4 into 3.5. It would just be arriving a bit earlier, is all.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    4.3 million of the 4.5 million tablet computers sold in 3rd Qtr. of 2010 were iPads.

Think about that Google, Microsoft, Blackberry and HP.

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...on-were-ipads/