Apple discontinues sale of MobileMe retail boxes as overhaul looms

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday removed the $99 MobileMe product from its online store and notified resellers that it has discontinued the retail box for its cloud-based syncing product, suggesting the company is prepared to launch a rumored overhaul of the service.

The MobileMe single license and family pack are no longer available on Apple's online store. In addition, resellers have indicated to AppleInsider that both the MobileMe Single User product (identified as MC660Z/A) and Family Pack (MC661Z/A) have been declared "End of Life" by Apple.

Users of MobileMe were also notified of scheduled maintenance for the me.com website. The service's Web-based applications may not be accessible to some users for about a half-hour tonight, after which normal service is expected to be restored.

The changes come as Apple is rumored to be revamping the MobileMe service, and is also said to be considering making the product free. The New York Times reported this month that Apple plans to turn MobileMe into a free service that would serve as a digital "locker" where users could store photos, music and videos.

Apple has been rumored to be pursuing a cloud-based iTunes service, particularly for music streaming, for years. The Times said that such a move would negate the need for a large amount of local storage on mobile devices like the iPhone.

And on Wednesday, Apple executives revealed at the company's annual shareholder meeting that its massive $1 billion data center in North Carolina is set to open this spring. The usually tight-lipped company also let slip that the data center will be used to support iTunes and MobileMe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Hopefully, nothing will happen to piss off paid through users.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    I get the feeling MobileMe will be folded directly into iTunes/The App Store.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    Makes you wonder if the iPad 2 event will include the MobileMe overhaul for use with the iPad.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    Interesting. Does this mean the service is going the free route? I'm a bit worried if it does. I don't want a Google set-up where ads are present and my personal information is sold for profit. I'd rather to pay to keep my personal information private.

I just re-subscribed in January. Hopefully, Apple stays true to it's past and looks out for those with paid subscriptions. Will be watching these developments closely.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Well, an overhaul has been a long time coming. Dot Mac was slow and so is MobileMe. It shouldn't have to take 2-3 tries to update my webpage.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    i just renewed in december. lol.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    Is it just me, or are we all set to see the new MobileMe debut alongside the iPad 2 and whatever other goodies Apple has on March 2nd? In my mind, the stars appear to be aligned.

As a current paying member of MobileMe, I think it is great that Apple is going to revamp the service, and hopefully make it free. The Webapps, syncing, and Find My iPhone feature make it a much more compelling product, in my mind, than anything in the "free" market. But then again, I am one of those people who is willing to pay a premium for a premium product.

In any event, I can't wait to see what Apple has up its sleeve for the next version of MobileMe.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    I only use this for syncing and will not put a penny more in this "service".

It should be free Mr. Jobs (can pay for other parts, but NOT the syncing)!

By the way, Happy Birthday
  • Reply 9 of 62
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by speedxdesign View Post

Ditto. And the family plan at that.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    I'm sure we will not see advertising on the MobileMe website even if it does go free.

MobileMe is there to reinforce the halo effect.

Your iPhone, iPad and Mac all working in harmony(at least in theory).
  • Reply 11 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Ditto. And the family plan at that.

It was November for me!
  • Reply 12 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone91 View Post

As a current paying member of MobileMe, I think it is great that Apple is going to revamp the service, and hopefully make it free. The Webapps, syncing, and Find My iPhone feature make it a much more compelling product, in my mind, than anything in the "free" market. But then again, I am one of those people who is willing to pay a premium for a premium product.

In any event, I can't wait to see what Apple has up its sleeve for the next version of MobileMe.

Likewise. I just hope that this revamp doesn't wreak havoc with my iCal and Address Book syncing like their previous updates did.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Interesting. Does this mean the service is going the free route? I'm a bit worried if it does. I don't want a Google set-up where ads are present and my personal information is sold for profit. I'd rather to pay to keep my personal information private.

I just re-subscribed in January. Hopefully, Apple stays true to it's past and looks out for those with paid subscriptions. Will be watching these developments closely.

If Apple makes MobileMe free, it won't be supported by ads or sales of your information. That is not Apple's way. They will instead view it as a value-added service that will recoup costs by enticing more buyers of the Apple products which use the service. In other words, Apple might believe that by making MobileMe free, they enhance the perceived value of their products, and they will sell more of them. I agree wholeheartedly.

Thompson
  • Reply 14 of 62
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I would rather there be a paid version, or at least require an Apple device to initiate it. I'm on my third Apple email address, eWorld, .mac and MobileMe. I love the back to my Mac desktop feature.

Maybe it will be similar to how the $99 iOS dev program got folded into the more expensive OS X dev program. You can still sign up for the advanced dev subscription if you want more features even though the base subscription is included for only $99 instead of the previous $500 plus the $99. No more t-shirts for you!

As long as MobileMe works at least as well as it does now I guess I can live with no charge. I just don't want to lose my account like with eWorld's demise.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by speedxdesign View Post

I renewed my family plan a week ago... \

But I don't expect the service to become entirely free. I expect an upgrade with improved features as well as a tiered service. Some free, others not. I also imagine the option of including iWork.com to be part of the package. Well... I hope it will but it probably won't
  • Reply 16 of 62
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

And on Wednesday, Apple executives revealed at the company's annual shareholder meeting that its massive $1 billion data center

Okay ... Take a deep breath and finish the thought ...
  • Reply 17 of 62
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    They may make some services free like email and contact/calendar syncing. They could also provide free storage for iTunes purchased content (if a million people bought a movie, Apple would only need the space to store it once and then just link to the master copy). They may then charge for extra space for things like online backups, photo sharing, etc.

Ping could also move into the MobileMe space. Maybe even FaceTime so you could use it from any computer to take on Skype and Google more directly in that area.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    Apple is not going to suddenly give up $99 in reoccurring annual revenue by making Mobile Me free.

More likely, Mobile Me will have two service levels: (as an example)

- 3 email addresses, 10GB storage, find my iPhone, syncing, and limited iTunes/Photo lockbox = FREE

- 6 email addresses, 50GB storage, find my iPhone, syncing, and massive iTunes/Photo lockbox = $99

Discuss....
  • Reply 19 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

If Apple makes MobileMe free, it won't be supported by ads or sales of your information. That is not Apple's way. They will instead view it as a value-added service that will recoup costs by enticing more buyers of the Apple products which use the service. In other words, Apple might believe that by making MobileMe free, they enhance the perceived value of their products, and they will sell more of them. I agree wholeheartedly.

Thompson

FREE! Don't make me laugh, this is an Apple ploy. I remember the day I bought OS 9, it included iTools, iTools was like mac.com or mobileme. What happened to it? Apple gave then took away

iTools. So much for Apple, after all, it is Apples way.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

- 3 email addresses, 10GB storage, find my iPhone, syncing, and limited iTunes/Photo lockbox = FREE

- 6 email addresses, 50GB storage, find my iPhone, syncing, and massive iTunes/Photo lockbox = $99

Yes please, something like that.

Guess most of us here are adults with a creditcard. But what about our children with an iphone, ipad and Macbook. Why lock them out of this service?