My Statement to Nations That Hate the US

Comments

• Reply 41 of 511
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    In reference to the last post.

It's that attitude that tends to bash that I find offensive.

My family has been here for 200 years ( as long as anybody's ) so I couldn't get more American.

I do take pride in my country but, I'm not blind to it's short comings.

The attitude that infers that : American's are enlightened ( we can do no wrong ) and foreigners are barbaric is just stupid. I'm sure the Roman Empire felt the same way.

Enlightenment doesn't come from who's got the most guns or the most strength.

Enlightenment only comes from learning and wisdom. Retaining facts, experience, and the ability to collate them. Some of this might come from learning from your mistakes no matter how unpleasant.

It's true we are the big kids on the block but, with that comes a lot of responsibility. We must live up to that.

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>
  • Reply 42 of 511
    [quote] It shows stronger growth than yours, I believe, thanks in part to tight management of government finances (we run budget surpluses, not tremendous deficits) and new developments in natural resources. <hr></blockquote>

It's true - Canada's economy grew by 6% last month and the American economy is still trying to get back on its feet after the downturn.

[quote] 4. Military: And if it wasn't for the US, you wouldn't be here right now. Literally. Flag waiving aside. That is a fact. <hr></blockquote>

How so? Give me an example. Or maybe it is because Canada whipped your ****in ass the last couple of times you tried to invade.

[quote] You are an idiot. <hr></blockquote>

By calling me an idiot and resorting to personal attacks, you have just proved that you cannot support your own arguments - why don't you attack my ideas not me.

It is not Canada's responsibility to stop terrorists from entering your borders. In fact, everytime I visit the States, it is easier to cross the border than it is to try and alcohol when you are a minor.

Back to electoral college - the system is flawed if more people voted for Gore but Bush won the election. I'm not saying that the system in Canada is perfect. In fact, it's absolutely terrible and doesn't work for **** . Just please stop blindly defending your own when you can see it doesn't work.
  • Reply 43 of 511
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by jimmac:

<strong>In reference to the last post.

It's that attitude that tends to bash that I find offensive.

My family has been here for 200 years ( as long as anybody's ) so I couldn't get more American.

I do take pride in my country but, I'm not blind to it's short comings.

The attitude that infers that : American's are enlightened ( we can do no wrong ) and foreigners are barbaric is just stupid. I'm sure the Roman Empire felt the same way.

Enlightenment doesn't come from who's got the most guns or the most strength.

Enlightenment only comes from learning and wisdom. Retaining facts, experience, and the ability to collate them. Some of this might come from learning from your mistakes no matter how unpleasant.

It's true we are the big kids on the block but, with that comes a lot of responsibility. We must live up to that.

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: jimmac ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Jinmac, your wise is deeper than the one of Yoda. The good side of the Force have enlightened you. Live long and prosper

• Reply 44 of 511
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    It's true that both of those fictions contain good morals to live up to in the real world.

Just look into the works of Joseph Cambell. 1904-1987 a mythologist and historian who's basic ideas revolved around the fact that most of the moral problems in our culture today are caused by the fact that there aren't enough myths and heros to aspire towards.

He was a great man who did a series for PBS( with Bill Moyers ), wrote several books on the subject and saw Star Wars as being hopeful. A piece of modern mythlogy with values to aspire towards.

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>
  • Reply 45 of 511
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    And after all that the US also has:

Coca Cola

McDonalds

Anna Nicole Smith

Glorified Gang violence

Religious fundamentalism

A country run by unelected Lawyers, Media and Big Business

Bit like here in the Uk really . . .
  • Reply 46 of 511
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    macvasco(xander?):

&gt;

If you want to know the reason for extremists flying planes in to your buildings. Look no further than your continued aid to Israel.&lt;

The reason for the extremists flying planes into our buildings is because they are freaks. Subhuman freaks who tried as hard as they could to make sure thousands of innocent men, women, and children(many of whom weren't American) as possible would die a horrible death. There are other ways to disagree with a country's foreign policy. I am Jewish, and I don't agree with France's anti-Israeli policies, so I'm going to go over there and exterminate a few hundred civilians. How about Germany? Maybe the Netherlands? Now, would that seem like a rational response to Europe's policies? No, didn't think so. But you go right on rationalizing Arabs killing Americans. Go right ahead. Listen here-some day the cavalry may stop coming over to save the day. Some day we may just say the hell with it and to go fight your own battles. We spend billions on defense not only to save our necks but the necks of our 'friends' as well. Israel is a better and more faithful ally than any European country other than Britain. Go ahead-stay in your nice, secure country without having to spend billions on your own defense. You KNOW we are there if trouble should occur. You KNOW we would be the first country to call upon when Europe freezes in inaction and confusion. We are the glue that holds the democracies together because even though you protest in the streets against some of our policies, even though you fear our willingness to use military might, you KNOW we are the one country the world trusts to try to do the right thing.

And one last thing, even though I would think you would know this if you read any newspapers at all-Bin Laden ordered the terrorist attack because the US has military bases in Saudi Arabia, NOT because of Israel. And why shouldn't we continue to give aid to Israel? They are an ally, they are our friend, and even though we don't agree with everything their government does-name one country where we agree 100% with what they do. Do we stop giving aid to any of them? Of course not-Israel isn't our 51st State-they will do what they feel is in their best interests, just like any other country. When you're friends with America, you've got a friend for life.............................................. ......
  • Reply 47 of 511
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    Originally posted by SDW2001:

<strong>

If you resent us, I understand why. We have the best economy and overall standard of living in the whole world. </strong>

ROTFL! Best overall standard of living? America has one of the worst standards, especially considering the fact that America is the wealthiest country. The Division between rich and poor is huge. Tell someone from Compton that the have the best standard of living. Or Detroit. Or a Mexican emigre working on a pesticide ridden farm.[/QB]

<strong> We decided to let the people run our government, not the military. </strong>

So it was the will of the people to invade Korea? Vietnam? What about Panama? Cuba? Haiti? What about backing Both Saddam Hussein (sp?) and Osama with weapons and finances? Remember that? Does the name Oliver North ring a bell? Are you familiar with the term 'hegemony'?

<strong>We decided to allow free speech.</strong> Try burning an American Flag in protest.

<strong> We decided to allow freedom of the press. </strong>

<strong>We decided to allow government transparency. </strong> See above.

<strong>We tried out a new system of government</strong> Democracy was invented by the greeks over a thousand years ago.

<strong>Did we have states leaving the union and forming their own tribal militias? No. </strong>

The last time that happened, and it DID happen, America's North betrayed its own constitution and engaged in civil war, forcing the South to be apart of the US, regardless of the abuses it was sustaining from the North to spark this conflict. And no, the civil war was not about slavery.

<strong>And now, after all we have been through, after we have defended nation after nation, intervened time and time again, literally saved the civilized world from evil facists, and defeated an oppressive superpower</strong>

First, what you don't seem to realize is that America IS an opressive superpower. Second, saving who? Korea/Vietnam from themselves? Intervened... to protect oil interests? Quit making like America isn't greedy and selfish, like your evil bogeymen enemies are. Saving the world from evil fascists... please.You've been reading AOL-Time-Warner-Turner publications in your hegemonic country again, aren't you?

<strong>

You decide we are decadent, fat and lazy. [QB] It's off topic, but hey, America has the highest percentage of obesity, last I checked.

[QB] You decide that we must be destroyed because we have abused our power and become an evil empire ourselves.

</strong>

'You'? Who? those darkies, those Ay-rabs in the 'axis of evil'?

<strong>You have people starving, dying in the streets.</strong>

Unlike America? Wake up, rich white boy.

<strong> You have shitty, little pathetic militaries, the largest of which we could take out with a few 1980's era fighter/bombers.</strong>

And that is the proof that America is a better country? Because they spend billions more on bombs and tanks and helicopters?

I can't believe you have the audacity to posit that America has it 'all figured out' and that your solution to the problems of the world is for everyone to be more like America. Wake up and smell the coffee. Your **** stinks, too.
  • Reply 48 of 511
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Dead Member:

&gt;That is false. Your border security is your problem. Canada only has jurisdiction over people entering Canada, not leaving it. Of course the Canadian government assists the US in border security. Perhaps if you want more help, you can ask your government representatives to send us some money.&gt;

Canada has a notoriously lax refugee problem, allowing Arabs and Muslim terrorists to enter at will. Our system obviously has holes in it also and hopefully with both countries putting out the effort the problem will be resolved. However, Canada has plenty of money and its your problem also so you can pay for it.

Dead member:

&gt;Canada has a weak military because of the small population, uncontested land, military alliances and limited foreign interests, and it has no bearing on terrorists or anyone else entering or leaving the country.&lt;

Canada has a weak military primarily because you have the US as your neighbor and anyone that attacks you would be squished like a bug by us.

Dead Member:

&gt;It shows stronger growth than yours, I believe, thanks in part to tight management of government finances (we run budget surpluses, not tremendous deficits) and new developments in natural resources.&lt;

We run tremendous deficits primarily because of the responsibility we have taken upon ourselves to police the world. Add to that the millions of immigrants entering each year who require lots of social support, then throw upon that the boneheads we elect and there you have the deficits. Our economies are pretty similar otherwise.

Dead Member:

&gt;That is speculation, actually.

The US has plenty of good points; you don't need to bash other countries to find them.&lt;

I can't remember hearing any American, at any time in my life, bashing Canada of all places! A peaceful neighbor with most of the same values of us, nice people, and Molson Golden! I mean, come on, eh................................................ ..
  • Reply 49 of 511
    The reason Canada has a small military is because:

1) We are the second largetst country in the world with a fraction of the population of many countries. Our population is 31 million - much, much smaller than England, France, Germany, etc... all of which have tiny land area.

2) With a small population we can't afford to pay for a huge military to defend our vast and free borders when we pay for socialized medicine, education, welfare and countless other social programs.

3) We know that the USA is to the south and that it is our closest ally - we do not have the need for a large military.

4) We do not go running around, illegally invading other countries all the time calling it a policing action or a 'humanitarian intervention'.
  • Reply 50 of 511
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]Originally posted by macvasco:

<strong>People, Americans, sometimes don´t agree with what your government does. That doesn´t mean they don´t love their country.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wasn't referring to critics of the government or the American, uh, predicament. There are lot of Americans who are ashamed of being American and jump on the "I hate America" bandwagon. Maybe they don't understand the difference between hating their government and hating their nation. Maybe they're just fair weather friends. But right now they don't like the nation they live in maybe because they think most other people don't either, or maybe because they take too much of their privileged lives for granted. They think this nation is everyone' enemy. Of course, they don't bother to actually do anything except for the occasional Tim McVeigh in which case the results are less than helpful. Maybe I give these folks too much credit for saying that they "think."
  • Reply 51 of 511
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>Originally posted by SDW2001:

[qb]

If you resent us, I understand why. We have the best economy and overall standard of living in the whole world. </strong>

ROTFL! Best overall standard of living? America has one of the worst standards, especially considering the fact that America is the wealthiest country. The Division between rich and poor is huge. Tell someone from Compton that the have the best standard of living. Or Detroit. Or a Mexican emigre working on a pesticide ridden farm.[/QB]

<strong> We decided to let the people run our government, not the military. </strong>

So it was the will of the people to invade Korea? Vietnam? What about Panama? Cuba? Haiti? What about backing Both Saddam Hussein (sp?) and Osama with weapons and finances? Remember that? Does the name Oliver North ring a bell? Are you familiar with the term 'hegemony'?

<strong>We decided to allow free speech.</strong> Try burning an American Flag in protest.

<strong> We decided to allow freedom of the press. </strong>

<strong>We decided to allow government transparency. </strong> See above.

<strong>We tried out a new system of government</strong> Democracy was invented by the greeks over a thousand years ago.

<strong>Did we have states leaving the union and forming their own tribal militias? No. </strong>

The last time that happened, and it DID happen, America's North betrayed its own constitution and engaged in civil war, forcing the South to be apart of the US, regardless of the abuses it was sustaining from the North to spark this conflict. And no, the civil war was not about slavery.

<strong>And now, after all we have been through, after we have defended nation after nation, intervened time and time again, literally saved the civilized world from evil facists, and defeated an oppressive superpower</strong>

First, what you don't seem to realize is that America IS an opressive superpower. Second, saving who? Korea/Vietnam from themselves? Intervened... to protect oil interests? Quit making like America isn't greedy and selfish, like your evil bogeymen enemies are. Saving the world from evil fascists... please.You've been reading AOL-Time-Warner-Turner publications in your hegemonic country again, aren't you?

<strong>

You decide we are decadent, fat and lazy. [QB] It's off topic, but hey, America has the highest percentage of obesity, last I checked.

[QB] You decide that we must be destroyed because we have abused our power and become an evil empire ourselves.

</strong>

'You'? Who? those darkies, those Ay-rabs in the 'axis of evil'?

<strong>You have people starving, dying in the streets.</strong>

Unlike America? Wake up, rich white boy.

<strong> You have shitty, little pathetic militaries, the largest of which we could take out with a few 1980's era fighter/bombers.</strong>

And that is the proof that America is a better country? Because they spend billions more on bombs and tanks and helicopters?

I can't believe you have the audacity to posit that America has it 'all figured out' and that your solution to the problems of the world is for everyone to be more like America. Wake up and smell the coffee. Your **** stinks, too.[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

There are so many problems with this post I almost don't know where to start. but here goes:

1. I agree we have many poor. But, the overall standard of living, especially for the middle-middle class, is much higher. We do have poor immigrants and decaying inner cities, granted. But, the size and scope our middle class is much greater than in other nations. In particular, our upper middle class (say, those making 70-200,000 a year) is huge when compared to other nations.

2. Military: Our elected leaders made those decisions. The legislative and executive branches control the military. Many other nations have military dictatorships. You forget we do not live in a direct democracy; we live in a republic.

3. Flag burning is legal. If someone kicks your ass for it, that's not my problem. Sue them....you'd win.

4. Democracy: We were, indeed, the first MODERN democracy. Read my original post. That system had not been tried since before the birth of Chirst. I'd say that qualifies as "first modern".

5. [quote]The last time that happened, and it DID happen, America's North betrayed its own constitution and engaged in civil war, forcing the South to be apart of the US, regardless of the abuses it was sustaining from the North to spark this conflict. <hr></blockquote>

-----What? the NORTH betrayed the constitution? What an interesting version of history! My friend, it was the SOUTH who tried to secede from the Union, which the Northern, Union states prevented. THE SOUTHERN STATES were the ones who were acting improperly.

[quote]And no, the civil war was not about slavery. <hr></blockquote>

WOW! Thanks for clearing that up! You must have done really well in "American History I" last marking period!

6. I disagree that we are oppressive. We allow government criticism, disagreement, protest, freedom of the press, religion etc. We have intervened to protect national security, which oil interests are a part of.....I'll give you that.

7. Reasonable speculation: If the US did not intervene in WWII, Germany very well may have taken all of Europe, Asia and Africa. France, Poland, Norway and many others had fallen, and Britain was within a year or so of speaking German for good. More reasonable speculation: If the US did not match the Soviet Union "blow for blow" during the cold war, we might all be speaking Russian right now.

8. Ted Turner happens to be one of the most liberal individuals on the planet.

9. "You" refers to "nations that hate us"....as the topic of the thread indicates. It is speculative. I thought that much was obvious.

10. I'm a middle class person, actually. Though, I am white. We don't have nearly the starvation that the following countries do: Cuba, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Russia and North Korea.....just to name a few.

11. Military again: You are the one who missed the point here. Many of these nations crave power. There is no question they don't have it. I am saying that part of the reason is they do not have economies that can support large militaries. This is a direct result of their oppressive regimes not allowing capitalism. Isn't there an argument that trying our system is "worth a shot", so to speak?

And finally, I never said we "have it all figured out". I said that some of the nations that hate us should, perhaps, consider trying things our way, because what they are doing obviously isn't working.

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
  • Reply 52 of 511
    [quote]Originally posted by macvasco:

<strong>

Gladly.

See, you think people look down on the U.S for their superiority.

However,

You´re not superior.

No one will deny that the U.S isn´t the worst country in the world to live in.

However,

The majority of the people on this world hate arrogance. You say you´re a patriot but all you do is tell everyone how superior your country is. That´s not patriotism. If you were to tell me how you love democracy, freedom of speech, New York, your flag, the Grand Canyon, the Rockies etc. Now that would be patriotic.

However,

You tell me how much better your country is than mine. You tell me how much I should be like you and lose my own national pride.

And that, my friend, is what people look down on.

So all the things that you said is not why people poke fun at your country, it´s because you said them. That´s what I meant by you making the point by missing it.

If you want to know the reason for extremists flying planes in to your buildings. Look no further than your continued aid to Israel.

Trust me, the general population of the world does not hate or envy your country. I respect the United States, even if I don´t always agree with it´s policies, I respect them. But it´s Americans like you who confuse patriotism with blatant arrogance that make for the opportunity to have cheap shots at your country.

Finally,

I´m Dutch. We have a lower percentage of teenage pregnancy, poor people and drug addicts in our country than the U.S. Do you think the U.S should be more like the Netherlands in it´s policies regarding these issues?</strong><hr></blockquote>

1. Who the hell is talking about your country? I am talking about nations that have oppresive military regimes without any personal or religious freedoms. I did say I think we are the "best" nation. I stand firm on that. There is no other place in the world I'd rather live. That's just my opinion.

2. I do love democracy, freedom of speech, New York, the grand canyon, etc. That IS WHY I love America.

3. I never said you should lose your national pride. Not once.

4. The Israel comment was absurd. No one has a right to hijack a jetliner and plunge it into a building. I don't care what the reason is.

If you had made that comment to my face, I would seriously consider punching you in the mouth.

5. [quote]Trust me, the general population of the world does not hate or envy your country. <hr></blockquote>

----Wrong. Europe might not. Islamic extremeists and those under their influence might not. But, tell me: Why do MILLIONS of Mexicans, Cubans, and other ethnic groups risk their lives trying to get here each year? Why was there mass immigration to the US in the late 1800's and early 1900's? Answer: Because those people knew there may be a better life here, or at least a chance for it. Also, tell me why Boris Yeltsin, on his first trip to the US, walked into a supermarket, saw all the glistening produce and aisles of food, and almost fell to his knees....crying out "what have they done to mother Russia"? Tell me he didn't envy the US and I'll eat my hat. And tell me there aren't a bunch of entire nations out there that truly, deeply hate America and its power and I'll eat another.

Finally,

[quote]Do you think the U.S should be more like the Netherlands in it´s policies regarding these issues?[ <hr></blockquote>

Perhaps....it depends on the policy.

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
  • Reply 53 of 511
    You must have flunked US history 101 SDW...

The US Civil War was not just caused by Slavery - how about huge economic disparities between the north and the south, cultural differences and yes, Slavery, but that was really a minor issue. Why did Lincoln sigh the proclamation? Because it was hoped for that if the slaves in the South got word of it, they would rebel against their masters and help the North's cause from deep within the South - It had nothing to do with morals or ethics.

Also SDW, when was the last time you tried to peacefully protest at a G8, IMF/World Bank, WTO meeting? Isn't everyone given the basic human rights to freedom of peaceful assembly and protection from arrest without cause? Well, just try going to an anti-globalization protest. You will see that the protests are 100% peaceful before the police agitators come in and the bust heads and haul everyone off to jail. I've been to many.

Freedom of the press? Right.... and you actually believe that? The people who control the press are the exact same people who control the government... Corporate America. Flip through all of the stations on TV and you will see it is all the same right-wing tripe. There is no mainstream alternative viewpoint. There is no one to stand up for the environment or the poor. The press is simply a way of large, very rich corporations to contros peoples opinions and wallets.
  • Reply 54 of 511
    [quote]Originally posted by yogisfunhouse:

<strong>You must have flunked US history 101 SDW...

The US Civil War was not just caused by Slavery - how about huge economic disparities between the north and the south, cultural differences and yes, Slavery, but that was really a minor issue. Why did Lincoln sigh the proclamation? Because it was hoped for that if the slaves in the South got word of it, they would rebel against their masters and help the North's cause from deep within the South - It had nothing to do with morals or ethics.

Also SDW, when was the last time you tried to peacefully protest at a G8, IMF/World Bank, WTO meeting? Isn't everyone given the basic human rights to freedom of peaceful assembly and protection from arrest without cause? Well, just try going to an anti-globalization protest. You will see that the protests are 100% peaceful before the police agitators come in and the bust heads and haul everyone off to jail. I've been to many.

Freedom of the press? Right.... and you actually believe that? The people who control the press are the exact same people who control the government... Corporate America. Flip through all of the stations on TV and you will see it is all the same right-wing tripe. There is no mainstream alternative viewpoint. There is no one to stand up for the environment or the poor. The press is simply a way of large, very rich corporations to contros peoples opinions and wallets.</strong><hr></blockquote>

1. I did quite well in history.

WHEN DID I EVER SAY THE CIVIL WAR WAS ONLY ABOUT SLAVERY?????? NEVER!!!! And it had at least SOMETHING to do with morals and ethics.

2. I wouldn't protest it because, IMO, those organizations HELP the world. Police agitators? BWHAHAHAHA. Those organizations promote free trade and loans to very poor nations, despite you liberal, idiotic viepoint on them.

3. We DO have freedom of the press. Believe me, I DO understand that corporations control the news media. I understand that all too well. My point is that our government does have a state run press like, say, Saudi Arabia.

And although I agree corporations do have much control of our government, we still have some.

4. [quote]Flip through all of the stations on TV and you will see it is all the same right-wing tripe. There is no mainstream alternative viewpoint. There is no one to stand up for the environment or the poor. The press is simply a way of large, very rich corporations to contros peoples opinions and wallets. <hr></blockquote>

---I had to post that last part again so I could continue laughing harder. The media in this nation is well known to be a criminal LIBERAL MACHINE. Ted Turner, Dan Rather, Peter Jennings, The New York Times.....the list goes on and on. No one standing up for the environment? WTF? You probably don't even have the facts on the environment, because you, like many others, have been brainwashed by the criminal liberal media.

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
  • Reply 55 of 511
    [quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:

<strong>

---I had to post that last part again so I could continue laughing harder. The media in this nation is well known to be a criminal LIBERAL MACHINE. Ted Turner, Dan Rather, Peter Jennings, The New York Times.....the list goes on and on. No one standing up for the environment? WTF? You probably don't even have the facts on the environment, because you, like many others, have been brainwashed by the criminal liberal media.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Name Calling:

"The Criminal Liberal Media" (The Media)

As long as we're calling each other names, let's get the facts right:

"****ING ultra-right wing conservative" (SDW2001 name)
  • Reply 56 of 511
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It's amazing how everything we say online turns into black vs white, in several senses of that term apparently. It's amazing how a post directed at those who hate America turned into a Canada vs. US, the issue of slavery in our Civil War,* Israel vs. Palestine once again, percentage growth of gross domestic product, yadda, yadda. I'm waiting for a comparison of anything here to Hitler and the Nazis so this thread can then fizzle out. It's certainly a belligerent post, but try to stay focused.

*The part about the North being unconstitutional was humorous by the way, and slavery was a factor in the war, but not necessarily a major one. To turn that issue on its head you'd see that abolitionists forced the issue of northern "free" states and southern ones, all of this being tied to their economies, so it's not the slave issue directly, but I don't expect any of this to be understood.
  • Reply 57 of 511
    Conservatism's allure is that it keeps the rich rich and the poor poor. While they strive mightily to get babies into this world, they do **** for them once they're here. It seems that Republicans get them in, and Democrats take care of them.
  • Reply 58 of 511
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by yogisfunhouse:

<strong>

Freedom of the press? Right.... and you actually believe that? The people who control the press are the exact same people who control the government... Corporate America. Flip through all of the stations on TV and you will see it is all the same right-wing tripe. There is no mainstream alternative viewpoint. There is no one to stand up for the environment or the poor.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is the funniest thing I've read in quite a while. Have you ever watched American TV???? It is common knowledge that the major networks here are very liberal. Even my "tree hugger" friends if you will, were commenting just yesterday how they thought the media should be more moderate and not so on the left, as to let people see an unbaised news telling. Where ever you got your information from, you are sorely mistaken.
  • Reply 59 of 511
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by sjpsu:

<strong>Conservatism's allure is that it keeps the rich rich and the poor poor. While they strive mightily to get babies into this world, they do **** for them once they're here. It seems that Republicans get them in, and Democrats take care of them.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Bullshit. Conservatives just think that it's not their job to take care of some teens 5th kid. It's their problem. I don't want my money going to pay for somebody else's healthcare when it could be paying for mine.
  • Reply 60 of 511
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

<strong>

Bullshit. Conservatives just think that it's not their job to take care of some teens 5th kid. It's their problem. I don't want my money going to pay for somebody else's healthcare when it could be paying for mine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly. Democrats know that people wouldn't help the less-fortunate if not for their social programs such as welfare, social security, and medicare. THIS is where conservative allure lies- the ability to look out for only one's self rather than one's poor neighbor. Money- basically.