Intel details Thunderbolt, says Apple has full year head start

Comments

• Reply 21 of 133
    This is how Apple stays competitive! I love the idea.
  • Reply 22 of 133
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company described Thunderbolt as allowing a notebook system to interface via a desktop workstation system via Thunderbolt, and then share all of the desktop's ports with the connected machine via the Thunderbolt interconnect. This will allow "thinner and lighter laptops, expandable through Thunderbolt technology and its miniature connector designed for mobile applications, without sacrificing I/O performance."

I hope they can get this working with a tablet/desktop combo.
  • Reply 23 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Your thinking process is flawed. If Apple had applied this mentality to the iPod and not released PC support, it would have NEVER have taken off as it did. Simple fact...we "PC fanatics" outnumber you "Mac fanatics"....therefore if you want a tech to blossom you should provide it to the widest audience as possible. Makes sense, right?

Why would I care if Dell can't do Thunderbolt? Apple does and so will all the 3rd party companies that want to make money....most of them do;-)
  • Reply 24 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I am happy to see I am not the only person who thinks this exclusivity idea is B.S. Does Apple WANT to kill off or at least SIGNIFICANTLY slow down the adoption of this new tech? Does Apple REALLY believe that people are going to switch to Apple hardware just for the privilege to use Thunderbolt/Light Peak?

Does anyone else just shake their heads when reading more and more about the dunderhead moves Apple is making as of late? I swear they are taking lessons from the Microsoft playbook!!!

Idiots.

Quote:

The new port is already being supported by disk makers Promise and LaCie, with a voice of support from Western Digital (although not any products yet). Among media device makers, Aja, Apogee, Avid, Blackmagic, and Universal Audio have all announced support as well.

It's clear Intel is going after professionals first. Rushing to get everyone to adopt doesn't always work.
  • Reply 25 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Forget about copper. Where's the fiber?

That comes next year when the exclusivity agreement ends.
  • Reply 26 of 133
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

25% of the consumer computer market (the "top" expensive 25%), is not "a tiny percentile of computer users."

When the first iMac came out, everybody and their brother started making peripherals specifically with the iMac in mind. Apple's iMac was leading the way with their implementation of USB on that machine. And who else was heavily involved in USB 1? Why yes, that would be Intel.

Apple sells plenty of macbooks. There's going to be lots of stuff coming out in the future which will use Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 27 of 133
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I hope they can get this working with a tablet/desktop combo.

The ONLY reason for this move is so that they will have exclusivity on mobile devices.

There you have it folks... iPad 2 will have Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 28 of 133
    10W of power through the copper cable... Hmmm, just right to charge up an iPad 2 me thinks.
  • Reply 29 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There goes adoption.

How could they be stupid enough to make this thing of beauty into another FireWire?!

Can't be added? Yeah fricking right. How long before someone makes a PCIe Thunderbolt card for Mac Pros? I don't care if those don't do video?that's why my graphics card exists?I just want the transfer speed.

Perhaps Apple has some of the Intellectual Property behind it?
  • Reply 30 of 133
    It will take a year for Dell to find used Thunderbolt parts to put into their machines.
  • Reply 31 of 133
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The title says this is exclusive to Apple until 2012. This is false. Anyone can release Thunderbolt tomorrow if they wanted to.

What I think they meant by this being exclusive to Apple is that the other PC makers had not had the opportunity yet to integrate this with their systems as Intel was working with Apple to work the kinks out.

It's not like Intel signed an agreement with Apple to not allow anyone else to use it.

But that would involve people actual RTFA instead of shooting from the hip like certain whiners are doing here right now. IF you own a Thunderbolt-equipped Apple product, good for you. You are ready to go. IF you own a PC, complain to them why it's taking so long. Don't rip on Apple. Hell, Apple did all the up-front work for you guys!
  • Reply 32 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We also get Apple fanatics who cheered the rise of FireWire and wept at its death. The same thing is happening here.

Not sure why "Apple fanatics" shouldn't be mourning Firewire's demise. Far superior to USB1/2. Given a choice in I/O I always go with IEEE1394.
  • Reply 33 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

What I think they meant by this being exclusive to Apple is that the other PC makers had not had the opportunity yet to integrate this with their systems as Intel was working with Apple to work the kinks out.

It's not like Intel signed an agreement with Apple to not allow anyone else to use it.

But that would involve people actual RTFA instead of shooting from the hip like certain whiners are doing here right now. IF you own a Thunderbolt-equipped Apple product, good for you. You are ready to go. IF you own a PC, complain to them why it's taking so long. Don't rip on Apple. Hell, Apple did all the up-front work for you guys!

Agreed. Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and the rest will actually have to add the code to utilize it, whereas Apple has it out-of-the-box, today.
  • Reply 34 of 133
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    They say they want high end professionals to adopt it for things like video editing. That combined with the new FCP will match up perfectly. All of the types of peripherals that those pros need are not sold to the consumer market anyway. When the new optical/copper combo protocol is released it will also be expensive and not typical PC Windows consumer hardware either. Bottom line: who cares if the low end PC people don't get it? If professional Windows people want it, then they buy a Mac and run Windows on it.
  • Reply 35 of 133
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

When can I use Thunderbolt for my LAN at home (or work)?

Screw Cat5 cables, I want dual 10GB+ channels to every device in my house!

When I restore houses, I always install two-gang outlets. One gang for power, and another for low-voltage wiring which is fully accessible with flex-conduit into a centralized location.

I do this to plan for just that event if I want to upgrade the wiring without having to bust walls out. Currently, I installed CAT6 in everything. However, I would be more than happy to simply pull the "old" CAT6 out and replace it with Thunderbolt cabling!

I look forward to this being more mainstream and the logistics are ironed out. Could be the end of regular ethernet / fiber cabling as we know it! WooHoo!
  • Reply 36 of 133
    According to the CNET article, it's not that Apple has an exclusive. Intel just thinks that PC manufacturers will probably wait until their next design cycles to implement. This is likely because Apple was the launch partner and co-developed the technology. Anyone can get the chipsets now but it'll take a while before we see it in every Dell or HP.

On the other hand, motherboard manufacturer move a lot faster. i expect we'll see some boards from ASUS and their competitors in a few months.
  • Reply 37 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

Not sure why "Apple fanatics" shouldn't be mourning Firewire's demise. Far superior to USB1/2. Given a choice in I/O I always go with IEEE1394.

I've been with you on that one for years. When scanning a lot of color 35mm negatives and slides, having my Epson 4990 connected via FW make the job almost pleasant. Doing 16 negs at a time is twice as fast as the Dimage USB scanner that did only four at a time. All my external hard drives are FW 800 as well. USB? so far it's just used to extract images from my cameras. If there were a FW alternative, I'd buy in an instant.
  • Reply 38 of 133
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If professional Windows people want it, then they buy a Mac and run Windows on it.

I didn't know that any professionals used windows.

In my business (pro audio), I hardly know anybody who doesn't use Macs.
  • Reply 39 of 133
    Quote:

I do this to plan for just that event if I want to upgrade the wiring without having to bust walls out. Currently, I installed CAT6 in everything. However, I would be more than happy to simply pull the "old" CAT6 out and replace it with Thunderbolt cabling!

Suggestion from one who has been there for 40 years: when pulling your cable through the smurf tube, be sure to pull a waxed string to be used as a pull when you want to add something. CAT cables aren't flexible enough for this.

Also, regarding the double ganged outlets, you have power in case you ever pull fiber.
  • Reply 40 of 133
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Why replace, just add the TB cable? You need to keep the Cat6 for Windows or Linux machines.