Intel details Thunderbolt, says Apple has full year head start

Comments

• Reply 61 of 133
    This is so dumb. It slows down the peripheral manufacturers who will have fewer customers to sell to at first, and gets too many people locked into USB 3. Hopefully Apple will at least partially make amends by using the connector on the iPhone and iPad. That will create some more customers.
  • Reply 62 of 133
    Hmm this is going to be interesting. So far I've been seeing USB 3.0 peripherals like external HD starting to trickle in computer hardware stores. I wonder who long will it take till TB to get adopted by peripheral manufactures. This is going to be quite a race.
  • Reply 63 of 133
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

A full YEAR??? Holy shit. They've essentially killed the technology. Congrats.

Noone gives a shit if its exclusive if there are no, or hardly any compatible peripherals. It needs to be adopted NOW- in a year, USB 3.0 will probably have a massive headstart over this, as its incorporated into most windows machines. How utterly idiotic. Intel could have secured this as the future standard by incorporating it on all/most of its chipsets. Who's gonna incorporate compatibility for this in their peripherals when theres such a tiny percentile of potential users?

I suspect that the confusion is simply another case of AI bungling the facts.

The statement is "PC makers are expected to begin adding Thunderbolt to their machines next spring"

Hmmm... it's still winter here, so next spring is only a month away. None of the other sites say that it will be a year before anyone else has it.
  • Reply 64 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

As has been reported previously (in a lot of tech sites) fiber optic use (for the time being) is not cost effective .... thus the initial roll out being copper ..... not that you won't find something wrong with this strategy. ....

Me? I love everything. Why would you assume there was a complaint embedded in that comment?
  • Reply 65 of 133
    Quote:

Noone gives a shit if its exclusive if there are no, or hardly any compatible peripherals. It needs to be adopted NOW- in a year, USB 3.0 will probably have a massive headstart over this, as its incorporated into most windows machines. How utterly idiotic. Intel could have secured this as the future standard by incorporating it on all/most of its chipsets. Who's gonna incorporate compatibility for this in their peripherals when theres such a tiny percentile of potential users?

I think they'll start adding Thunderbolt to all of their products, which would ensure wide adoption. Think about it. iPhone 4, next iPods, all computers going forward, iPads. Come on!
  • Reply 66 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

???

Last time I have checked, Apple had around 10% in US and less than 5% world wide..? 5% of market as a base for pushing new technology is not really that much... \

Then you haven't been checking much of late. Apple's world wide is approaching 10% for their Mac install base, and much larger obviously when we include the iOS platform.
  • Reply 67 of 133
    so how is this first copper incarnation of the tech going to be compatible with the newer optical one about to come?
  • Reply 68 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

so how is this first copper incarnation of the tech going to be compatible with the newer optical one about to come?

The part that converts the optical to copper will be in the cable itself
  • Reply 69 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

The part that converts the optical to copper will be in the cable itself

so you would have to ask specifically for optical to copper cables, could be a bit confusing when you have a few say...but it makes sense.
  • Reply 70 of 133
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Awesome! Now what can I plug it into, today?

Sometimes Steve skates a little too far ahead of the puck.

Only slightly ahead of the puck. See you next Wednesday.

• Reply 71 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I hope they can get this working with a tablet/desktop combo.

I think that, at the Mar 2 iPad 2 event, we'll see the iPad being demoed:

-- with an iPad app as a visual control surface for an app running on a Mac

-- with an iPad app as a graphics tablet input device for an app running on a Mac

-- dragging and dropping content between between the iPad and a Mac (both ways)

-- as an external display for an app running on the Mac (the iPad is a peripheral display)

-- as a source of information displayed on the Mac (the Mac is the peripheral)

I suspect that:

-- every Mac and iDevice will include Thunderbolt support in the next upgrade.

-- the next release Pro apps will include support for the iPad as above.

-- iLife and iWork will have full iPod/Mac implementations

-- and iLife and iWork can act as stand-alones or as described above.

The dividing line between desktop and mobile blurs -- depending on how the devices are used.

Atrix, had the right idea -- they just didn't think it through properly (who wants a "Scarecrow/Tin Man" computer?}
  • Reply 72 of 133
    The beauty of LightPeak is that it has Millions of PCs to make it cheap! And where Intel can make its mark is in Fiber optics national grids where boosters are needed every 20 odd miles or so. But have low volume productions (expensive -$15000 in early days)

If Intel can modify LightPeak for telcos everyone would be happy!

1Telcos cheaper instillation costs

2 Nation(s) cheaper services

3 you higher bandwidths cheaper fees
  • Reply 73 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think that, at the Mar 2 iPad 2 event, we'll see the iPad being demoed:

-- with an iPad app as a visual control surface for an app running on a Mac

-- with an iPad app as a graphics tablet input device for an app running on a Mac

-- dragging and dropping content between between the iPad and a Mac (both ways)

-- as an external display for an app running on the Mac (the iPad is a peripheral display)

-- as a source of information displayed on the Mac (the Mac is the peripheral)

I suspect that:

-- every Mac and iDevice will include Thunderbolt support in the next upgrade.

-- the next release Pro apps will include support for the iPad as above.

-- iLife and iWork will have full iPod/Mac implementations

-- and iLife and iWork can act as stand-alones or as described above.

Awesome bit of guesswork. I'm in agreement with all of this, especially the iPad control surface integration idea and Thunderbolt on everything.
  • Reply 74 of 133
    Two channels of powered, 10Gbps duplex.... DOCK!

I am excited, to say the least. The PCI-Express channel should have no problem supplying ethernet/USB/whatever, and the display channel will of course drive a display. Very nice. I can't wait for the docks to start coming out.
  • Reply 75 of 133
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Hello? All the major PC manufactures plus many third party device makers already voiced their support. The year isn't a restriction of contract, but a necessity for PC manufacturers to incorporate the new technology. Apple has a head start because it helped develop the technology. Further, like USB, Apple is willing to put a new port on a computer without a developed market yet because Apple is a forward thinker.

What I want to know, does Thunderbolt have the same ability as Firewire to boot a computer from another computer or a third party hard drive (e.g. target disk mode). USB really is a not as practical as Firewire for power users.

Quote:

• Reply 76 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Awesome! Now what can I plug it into, today?

Sometimes Steve skates a little too far ahead of the puck.

How about an iPad in a few weeks?
  • Reply 77 of 133
    Sounds like this will make a great OWC Mini Stack v4! ;-)

Hopefully OWC will add USB 3.0 to it too... FireWire 1600 may never come to life, though...
  • Reply 78 of 133
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Two channels of powered, 10Gbps duplex.... DOCK!

I am excited, to say the least. The PCI-Express channel should have no problem supplying ethernet/USB/whatever, and the display channel will of course drive a display. Very nice. I can't wait for the docks to start coming out.

People should be very excited as this tech is certainly not a replacement for USB. I'm not sure many in this thread recognize the incredible gulf between the two standards. TB is clearly a solution for things USB could never do.

As to the other posters I see big confusion with respect to the terms used here. Head start does not imply exclusive.

As to implementation this really has me curious. It appears that TB requires a different support chip. I suspect that this might be why Apple has not been held up by the SATA bug. TB most likely has direct access to the DMI bus or whatever it is called on Sandy Bridge. I need to dig up an architecture diagram ASAP. TB could go very far in other industries like instrumentation.
  • Reply 79 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

25% of the consumer computer market (the "top" expensive 25%), is not "a tiny percentile of computer users."

25% of all consumer computers sold worldwide are new generation apple ?
  • Reply 80 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

so you would have to ask specifically for optical to copper cables, could be a bit confusing when you have a few say...but it makes sense.

NO the part that converts optical to electrical will be in every optical lightpeak cable. Right now when you say run fiber that part is in the adapter. With lightpeak it will be in the cable itself. This way a lightpeak optical cable can plug into todays lightpeak ports .

Thats far away though because optical cable is still too expensive