Sources reveal Apple's new-look interface for Mac OS X Lion's Finder, Mail, and other apps

Comments

• Reply 41 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

It won't feel counter intuitive when you see them in action. They slide from side to side, rather than depress. It also makes sense for the selected option to stand out, and having a "slider button" under the option and the rest further behind will enhance readability.

You're right, you know. It's just a bit jarring to switch from one to another. Also it would be a bit more intuitive if there were some very light vertical bars under the selected option to mimic how real sliders appear. Just wishful thinking as that will probably take away from the beauty and simplicity...
  • Reply 42 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I hope the addressbook hooks up with facebook. This way my contacts will be updated automatically.

The only way I want this is if there is a backup of all changes like with other apps mentioned so I can reverse any change or deletion someone makes that is not correct or to see previous info.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

The number of apps that need pinpoint location information is few and far between (unless you are using your Mac for a GPS while driving or something). Extra software is much cheaper than extra hardware.

There ARE however, lots of software that could easily benefit from a rough estimate of your location. Even if you don't have a GPS chip, if you're in a metro area, you can get some ridiculously accurate locations (also, I'm pretty sure if you use your iPhone in the same location, it sends data back to improve the database).

My 2 cents.

Sure, weather, movies and maps (for example) can be used with apps, widgets and websites from the ISP location or A-GPS, but things like Find My Mac would need a GPS chip for sure.
  • Reply 43 of 140
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

The only way I want this is if there is a backup of all changes like with other apps mentioned so I can reverse any change or deletion someone makes that is not correct or to see previous info.

Sure, weather, movies and maps (for example) can be used with apps, widgets and websites from the ISP location or A-GPS, but things like Find My Mac would need a GPS chip for sure.

My wifi only iPad locates to exactly the same place as my iPhone when at home, and it has no GPS or 3G chip in it - I can only presume the Wireless MAC address grab by Google for Streetview has something to do with that...
  • Reply 44 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

new mail sucks.

Dear Apple:

1. Please fix the messages in the Inbox to stay bold until they are actually opened. I f I just touch it the bold font turns off same as if I have actually read the message. I leave my messages in bold as a reminder, when I cannot act on them until later.

2. Allow us to sort mail messages and then sub-sort (like in a spreadsheet) to find old messages.

3. Please add the ability to view the contacts in the address book in a column view (like MS Entourage). I often cannot remember an person's name, but I know what company they are with. In Entourage I was able to view multiple columns showing the company name, contact name, state, etc. all at the same time. Thus, I could sort by company name & state and then look at the reduced list.

Using the search function in Address Book brings up a lot of irrelevant contacts. Try typing "rob" in the search field and it pulls up any contact with "rob" in ANY of its fields(including the street name, notes, etc. EVEN if "rob" is found within one of the words. Thus it creates long lists that are cumbersome to sort through.
  • Reply 45 of 140

Ok, we see the 'icing' or 'gravy' on top

But the 'cake' or 'meat/potatoes' underneath ?

Is what Truly makes the Mac OS Great

And not much said about that

We'll see once 'dinner is served'

Otherwise ...

Read my other posting on this 'subject'

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=1#post1815218

Won't belabor that point here and now

But will in the future if need to

Get my drift Apple ?

• Reply 46 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delete View Post

So those mail entries in the the list shown that take up 4 lines of space with extra padding is less in your face that just a list?

In that regard, you may be right, but I was speaking generally. For me, my junk mail filter works really well and I usually file things away as soon as they come in, so it isn't a big deal, but the answer to your question is.. Yes, you can change the way it works. For one, you can choose 'classic' view and it is laid out just like the current Mail. You can also choose how long the message preview is or turn it off.

EDIT: Oh, and you can also change the setting for showing the unnecessary 'To/CC' icon and/or have it show the contact picture. If you turn all that off, you can just have the 'from' and 'subject' fields displayed.
  • Reply 47 of 140
    Any word on stability of the release?
  • Reply 48 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I love it. It's moving towards a more modern looking OPENSTEP. The Content was King in OPENSTEP and the Controls were consistent and grey scale.

Interesting observation.
  • Reply 49 of 140
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    So are user managed folders gone now?
  • Reply 50 of 140
    I didn't see any week numbers in iCal. Does anyone have this developer seed, and can you see if there is a preference to turn this on?

Thanks,

PhilBoogie
  • Reply 51 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

[Regarding the depressed button issue]

Well, okay, it's a slider. That's a big shift in what many users will recall from previous UIs.

It's like getting into a mirror image car with the driver's controls on the right and the pedals reversed (no, there isn't any such car widely available). Try using your left foot to press the accelerator on the far left, then move it rightward to brake. Turning your steering wheel clockwise to turn right results in a left turn. Better get a lot of practice on a road lined with rubber bushes and trees!

If you use the Reeder for Mac preview, it implements a slider control for moving between starred, unread and all items. Try it - you soon get used to it.
  • Reply 52 of 140
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troehl View Post

I'm confused by the new tab control... is the currently selected tab raised and the tab options dimmed and set into the background? That seems exactly opposite of the way that they should behave. If I was first presented with that control I would assume that the one raised tab was the only one clickable. Or am I just misreading these screen shots?

No ... imagine the slider control ... the raised area is what you drag right or left to activate another tab. If it were a touch screen for example.
  • Reply 53 of 140
    jingojingo Posts: 117member
    My biggest wish is that they fix the incredibly annoying behaviour of Mail which essentially just throws its hands up and gives in if a single login to a mail server fails. This is just wrong behaviour.

Secondly would be a wish that you can switch off the sidebar in the Finder - even if you set all your windows to be without the sidebar it STILL keeps coming back in new windows etc. Why can't the user have the freedom to decide that they don't want the sidebar? I would also like the ability to have an icon in the Dock which represents the computer for quick access to drives and connected servers, just like the sidebar but WITHOUT HAVING TO HAVE IT IN EVERY BL**DY FINDER WINDOW.

Interestingly you can drag the proxy icon from every Finder window to the Dock except the ones for the Computer and Network windows... Seems like Apple are forcing you to Do It Their Way...
  • Reply 54 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I love it. It's moving towards a more modern looking OPENSTEP. The Content was King in OPENSTEP and the Controls were consistent and grey scale.

All I ask is for is an option in System Preferences. Even if it's only an option between 'color' and 'gray scale.'
  • Reply 55 of 140
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    bringing a lot of the iOS UI to the Mac is great, but the big question is, will it run iOS apps too?

i know some will not work. but most would with all the new touch controls. since we see that Lion will definitely keep Dashboard, they could run there like widgets, which they resemble visually, tho they are far more powerful.

that would be a sensation, since many iOS apps are terrific, being so well focused on easy acces to specific purposes.

i would expect Apple to hold this back until the big Lion launch, to max the PR impact.
  • Reply 56 of 140
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Looks great, but two things:

1. Is there an option for legacy exposé? (mission control is not for me)

2. addressbook. Seriously apple? Seriously?
  • Reply 57 of 140
    I hope they'll allow us the option of setting the background for all Finder windows as that cool new dark gray fabric they have. That white background is just too bright for my liking. Otherwise, I'm really liking what I'm seeing here.
  • Reply 58 of 140
    Quote:

I'm confused by the new tab control... is the currently selected tab raised and the tab options dimmed and set into the background? That seems exactly opposite of the way that they should behave. If I was first presented with that control I would assume that the one raised tab was the only one clickable. Or am I just misreading these screen shots?

I think what they did was remove the buttons and make them sliders. If they're sliders, they make sense to be "out" on the selected item. But I also agree that this change is confusing and almost the opposite of what people expect at first glance.
  • Reply 59 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

EDIT: Oh, and you can also change the setting for showing the unnecessary 'To/CC' icon and/or have it show the contact picture. If you turn all that off, you can just have the 'from' and 'subject' fields displayed.

That's all good to know. Thanks.
  • Reply 60 of 140
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

You are not reading it incorrectly. It seems odd. They'll either change it before release or we'll get used to it. My bet is they change it. I would have loved if Apple had of squared-off the traffic lights, like the window buttons, with the subtle rounded corners.