Apple prepping Yerba Buena Center for March 2 iPad event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It will definitely be the first gadget with Thunderbolt, I agree with that.

LaCie has Thunderbolt hard drives. Too bad, iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ummm, that's a peripheral, not a gadget.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    I think Apple may have been lying this whole time about Retina Display not being available. It looks like Apple is going to double the resolution on this device while keeping the price the same as the current iPads. This will effectively kill the Zoom and all the other copy cat devices. It is going to be a very bad year for Hewlett Packard as their laptop business is getting flushed down the Apple branded toilet..

LOL
  • Reply 24 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Ummm, that's a peripheral, not a gadget.

It's also not shipping yet, it's only been announced. The new MacBooks are available now.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roocka View Post

I think Apple may have been lying this whole time about Retina Display not being available. It looks like Apple is going to double the resolution on this device while keeping the price the same as the current iPads. This will effectively kill the Zoom and all the other copy cat devices. It is going to be a very bad year for Hewlett Packard as their laptop business is getting flushed down the Apple branded toilet..

LOL

As much as I like the sound of the Retina Display, Thunderbolt, & all, I'm guessing we'll see front and rear cameras, thinner and lighter package, SD slot, CDMA/GSM/HSPA wireless connectivity, more storage capacity, upgraded CPU, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Being that I just bought an iPad w/3G a few months ago, I hope that next month's unveiling is at least as much as my guess or more. But if it's just an incremental update, i.e. an iPad 1.5, with only a couple of "updates", I'll sit this one out and wait until the next go-round. My PC crashed last weekend, so in the mean time I'll just spend my ipad2 money to replace it with a new MacBook Pro rather than repairing my 9-year old WinXP machine.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeresaX View Post

SD slot

Why? Why does anyone think this? Apple doesn't want you to have convenient, expandable storage. Hence the "annoying" adapter for SD cards and the ability to only read from them to pull images down.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Edmund0Dantes View Post

Does anyone else think that whilst being possible, a second release of hardware this is unlikely?

If the rumors (?!?!) are true then the iPad should be receiving a processer, memory and GPU update. It may also have a slight varation to the display (not retina or anything close, but some modification.

Surely releasing a new one in 2H would be overkill - Its only about another 6 months to what would be an annual update window. Perhaps much more feasibile would be a release of iOS5 in 2H with improved notifications system, mail, maps, youtube and calander app (perhaps linked to Mobile - calander and notes being synced) - nothing overly revolutionary but positive steps in the light of Honeycomb - I love the iOS it is starting to look a little dated in some areas in comparision, Little tweaks might fit in really well. Imagiane a cover flow style scrolling of folder contents - with enlarged icons, small little refinments - that may explain the 2X icons that have been floating around.

Anyway Flame away!

^^ I also agree with the idea
  • Reply 28 of 42
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Anti reflection screen could be huge. People had to buy Kindle in addition to iPad simply because they wanted to be able to read with a nightstand or outside. If this new screen is noticeably less glare it will surely put a dent in kindle sales. Though I still think e-ink is better for extended reading hours then an LCD.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Apple don't normally pre-announce anything....

...Unless there is a commercial benefit.

Normally, pre-announcement is a bad idea. Pre announced products take attention away from the current product.

But I am expecting Apple to heavily trail iOS 5.

C.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Normally, pre-announcement is a bad idea. Pre announced products take attention away from the current product.

Which is why Apple has never done it unless they're entering a market. They announced the Apple TV, iPhone, and iPad well in advance of release because they had no competing products themselves and were confident in their head-start. They tend to be right.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:

Which is why Apple has never done it unless they're entering a market. They announced the Apple TV, iPhone, and iPad well in advance of release because they had no competing products themselves and were confident in their head-start. They tend to be right.

They also, to a lesser extent, pre-announce Apple system software, because such announcements don't harm Apple products, but do harm weaker rivals.

So I would not be surprised if Apple announced at least some of the iOS feature set.

I am expecting....

A new wireless file-syncing solution.

Far fewer reasons to tether and sync the iPad. Allowing it to become a more stand-alone device.

C.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:

A new wireless file-syncing solution.

No. Why? Wi-Fi is pathetic compared to Thunderbolt. 10Gbps vs 500Mbps.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:

The speed of syncing is not limited by wires. It's not even at USB2 speed. It's bound by other factors. So Thunderbolt would not improve sync performance (for the 10 people that currently have it.)

Everyone hates syncing the iPad.

The problem is not the speed of syncing.

The problem is the necessity to sync at all.

If I am sitting in a coffee shop and want to look at my latest draft, I want to be able to pull it from the cloud, not have to drive home and plug-in.

The iPad's greatest single weakness is it's lack of autonomy. Sooner it is fixed, the better.

C.

(In the long term, I expect Thunderbolt to make it into consumer products. Replacing USB)
  • Reply 34 of 42
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Needing to plug in a data wire to wireless device is annoying. It has a network connection that could be used to sync... why not use it?

Hell, why not do away with the entire concept of periodic syncing. It could and should happen immediately without needing user intervention or thought.

Why mobile phones don't do this has baffled me for years. The number one feature should have been immediate online backup of contact lists. My iPhone can connect at least 4 different types of wireless technologies... and yet I have to plug in a cable to backup a few kilobytes of data? Idiocy!

I've got an iPad but plan on upgrading immediately. Even just a processor and ram bump would be enough motivation. Cameras? Meh. I've got one in my pocket already. When the initial design is as good as the v1.0 iPad, v2.0 iPad hardware being just an update seems quite logical.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:

The speed of syncing is not limited by wires. It's not even at USB2 speed. It's bound by other factors. So Thunderbolt would not improve sync performance (for the 10 people that currently have it.)

And it will be unbound by Thunderbolt. People keep telling me that Thunderbolt is useless because the NAND flash can't write that fast or that the hard drives don't spin that fast.

I see it as "get off your butts and make faster chips now that we have a connection that can handle faster data transmission".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Hell, why not do away with the entire concept of periodic syncing. It could and should happen immediately without needing user intervention or thought.

I absolutely agree for everything except media. For that you'll still need physical syncing, and that's where Thunderbolt shines.

Also, you are going to be forced to plug it in, anyway. It's not like we have wireless power yet. Given that you're forced to plug it in, sync that which can't be pushed across the Internet wirelessly via Thunderbolt as you charge.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:

And it will be unbound by Thunderbolt.

Erm. How? The wires are not the bottleneck?

C.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:

Erm. How? The wires are not the bottleneck?

That's what I said in the sentences following.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:

That's what I said in the sentences following.

There were indeed following sentences. But they didn't make sense to me.

Apple's engineers are not intentionally creating sluggish hardware because of a lack of a ridiculously fast interface. The currently sync performance is bound by all sorts of factors. And it turns out to be a lot slower than USB2 can manage.

The current biggest weakness of the iPad is the need to physically connect to a host computer. It's something I avoid. Thankfully, many app creators have devised a work-around. What is needed is a robust Apple-created solution that works with all apps and file types.

As for media. Yes a 3Gb movie would be painful to sync over WiFi. I'd happily use tethering for that kind of file syncing.

But for me, the more I can move over WiFi, the more the iPad will feel like a real computing device and not a satellite.

C.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

I absolutely agree for everything except media. For that you'll still need physical syncing, and that's where Thunderbolt shines.

Also, you are going to be forced to plug it in, anyway. It's not like we have wireless power yet. Given that you're forced to plug it in, sync that which can't be pushed across the Internet wirelessly via Thunderbolt as you charge.

My iPad is never plugged into a computer. Well not quite, but close. It was on the first day and then for subsequent iOS updates. But really, both of those should have happened wirelessly as well.

As for media, i'll grant that some people still like to store video on multiple devices. However this is an annoyance and will almost entirely disappear in the future. My iPad holds no videos but yet I can watch anything I want at any time I want... without needing to sync.

There certainly are use scenarios where local storage is critical. But these scenarios are becoming more infrequent by the day. This isn't to belittle those who still need or want local storage. Rather, the need for local storage is rapidly on the decline. Remember when people used to put pictures on their phones to share? That had an amazingly short lifespan. While it is still done, a large percentage of people have moved to facebook or some other internet based alternative.

It isn't that plugging in is bad. More precisely, it is that being required to plug in is bad. Wireless syncing should be the norm while wired syncing preserved for those who need it.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

It isn't that plugging in is bad. More precisely, it is that being required to plug in is bad. Wireless syncing should be the norm while wired syncing preserved for those who need it.

I really hope that iOS5 signals the end of the need to tether.

If this goes, so will the need for iTunes.

I understand why Apple rolled so much functionality into iTunes, but the resulting mess is inelegant and bulky.

C.