Sources detail new features in Apple's first beta of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Stupid. Just switch apps.

Because MS has a more efficient way with Outlook it means that it?s stupid?
  • Reply 62 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

It seems like you're just real finicky in your preferences. There's not much difference in use between the two set ups. You're either clicking an calendar icon in Outlook or clicking the iCal icon in the doc. Is that really that different?

Personally, I like the Mac way because I can bypass switching altogether by having Mail, Address Book and iCal all open and showing on the screen at the same time with no overlap. This way there is pretty much NO switching between apps or views since I can see them all at the same time. Seems like the best solution to me. Even better, I have them designated to their own 'space' in OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. Try it out.

Not at all. There is a huge difference in time and efficiency between these associated apps. And now I’m full screen and you think Command+Tab through dozens of open apps to do a simply task is faster than having the view within the same app?

Look, I’m asking for some crazy, but something proven to be effective and to be a front-end option to the backend they have already setup since day one. If you really feel these three apps aren’t interconnected then explain why Apple has interconnected them on the backend?
  • Reply 63 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

He?s talking about simply cutting a file or folder and then pasting it in another place. All you can do with Mac OS X is copy that file, paste it in another location and then delete the original -or- emulate a cut and paste event with a drag-and-drop of the pointing device, but that isn?t as fast as doing a cut and paste.

I still don't follow what you mean by the words "cutting" or "pasting" as they relate to files. Maybe that's bastardized M$ terminology from the world of Windows? I've been using computers since the mid 1970's. Not much has changed since then in regards to files and storage devices: You can either create, copy, move, or delete files.

Sounds like you're talking about either moving or copying operations. By default, the Finder will move a file, if the action is on the same logical device (e.g. HD). It will copy a file across devices, however, or onto the same device if you hold down the option key.

Now if what you want is to "move" a file across devices, that is to copy it from one device to another, and then delete the original, then that could certainly be done safely via the shell, or via Applescript/Automator. There might even be a modifier key to do that from the Finder, but if there is, i don't know what it is.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    Quote:

Not at all. There is a huge difference in time and efficiency between these associated apps. And now I?m full screen and you think Command+Tab through dozens of open apps to do a simply task is faster than having the view within the same app?

Look, I?m asking for some crazy, but something proven to be effective and to be a front-end option to the backend they have already setup since day one. If you really feel these three apps aren?t interconnected then explain why Apple has interconnected them on the backend?

I just don't see a "huge difference in time and efficiency" between clicking an icon in a try or an icon in the Dock. it seems to be more a preference of yours. Good thing Outlook is available for the Mac eh?

And why are you bringing up full screen instead of considering the setup I recommended for OS X? Mail, Address Book and iCal can all be open and on the screen at the same time with no overlap so there is no need to Command+Tab, click or anything between them. Seems like "a huge difference in time and efficiency" to me.

To each their own.
  • Reply 65 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

I still don't follow what you mean by the words "cutting" or "pasting" as they relate to files. Maybe that's bastardized M$ terminology from the world of Windows? I've been using computers since the mid 1970's. Not much has changed since then in regards to files and storage devices: You can either create, copy, move, or delete files.

Sounds like you're talking about either moving or copying operations. By default, the Finder will move a file, if the action is on the same logical device (e.g. HD). It will copy a file across devices, however, or onto the same device if you hold down the option key.

Now if what you want is to "move" a file across devices, that is to copy it from one device to another, and then delete the original, then that could certainly be done safely via the shell, or via Applescript/Automator. There might even be a modifier key to do that from the Finder, but if there is, i don't know what it is.

Cutting in a GUI-based system does exactly what one would expect it do. It COPIES the file to the clipboard and then DELETES the file from the location it previously resided. It?s the same action you should be familiar with in text in pretty much every app since the 1970s. It?s also the same as MOVE, but it doesn?t specify where or if you are moving the file at that time. It CUTS it.
  • Reply 66 of 86
    Quote:

He?s talking about simply cutting a file or folder and then pasting it in another place. All you can do with Mac OS X is copy that file, paste it in another location and then delete the original -or- emulate a cut and paste event with a drag-and-drop of the pointing device, but that isn?t as fast as doing a cut and paste.

I just tried cut & paste in TotalFinder and it works! The files cut get ghosted, then when i paste they are copied. Wow, I never tried that before. Cool!

TotalFinder is the tabbed Finder app.

http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/
  • Reply 67 of 86
    Quote:

Which this are you referring? Copy and paste of a file/folder?

Yep. Something so fundamental (and I guess has been used in Windows since forever)... color me embarrassed.
  • Reply 68 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yep. Something so fundamental (and I guess has been used in Windows since forever)... color me embarrassed.

We only just got Put Back in Trash with Snow Leopard. This is pretty basic and useful. It?s only a simple file that notes the previous location of an item moved to Trash so it can be put back automatically.
  • Reply 69 of 86
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

It seems to me that your imagination is running in reverse. My hunch is that Apple is aiming for a future where we no longer need to worry ourselves with trivial things like where files and apps are actually stored on disk and/or which applications are running or documents are saved.

Thompson

Yes! I have started a discussion on the forums about this topic where people went into great detail to how this could be accomplished. Hopefully this will happen very soon!
  • Reply 70 of 86
    Quote:

Cutting in a GUI-based system does exactly what one would expect it do. It COPIES the file to the clipboard and then DELETES the file from the location it previously resided. It?s the same action you should be familiar with in text in pretty much every app since the 1970s. It?s also the same as MOVE, but it doesn?t specify where or if you are moving the file at that time. It CUTS it.

Actually, applying the terms "cut" and "paste" to files is pretty nonsensical and non-metaphorical. The traditional terms (e.g. "move" and "copy") make more sense, and are more metaphorical. Leave it to M$ to pervert the language and cause a lot of people to use Orwellian Newspeak.

So what happens if your Windows system crashes after you cut a file/folder, but before you paste it? You lose the file/folder?

Be that as it may, i do think the way Apple does it in the Finder makes more sense. Except i do criticize them for their inconsistency when crossing logical devices. If you drag an icon from one place to another, the file should be always be moved. Even across logical devices. If you want it copied, hold down the option key. That's a violation of Apple's own UI Guidelines.

By the way, GUI's didn't exist (except in the lab) in the 1970's. Apple's Lisa was the first commercially marketed computer to sport a GUI, followed a year or two later by Macintosh, in 1984.
  • Reply 71 of 86
    Quote:

We only just got Put Back in Trash with Snow Leopard. This is pretty basic and useful. It?s only a simple file that notes the previous location of an item moved to Trash so it can be put back automatically.

Well, it came back in SL. It was a part of Mac OS prior to Mac OS X. Twas just on vacation!
  • Reply 72 of 86
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

I drag and drop using spring loaded folders. That is faster for me than cut and paste.
  • Reply 73 of 86
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

He wants the equivalent of moving a file without having to drag it (because presumably he doesn't want to have to have both source and destination folders open at the same time or rely on spring loaded folders.). And he doesn't want to use the shell or a script. In Windows, you can select the file and click "cut", then navigate at your leisure elsewhere and click "paste". Let me tell you, I am as big a Mac bigot as they come, but I am forced to use Windows at work. And I find this feature useful on occasion.

Thompson
  • Reply 74 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Application Persistence sounds like a nightmare not a feature! What happens when a piece of bad code goes crazy and you have no quit option and a reboot just opens it back up for you?

From the article:

Quote:

Users can still choose to manually quit an application, but Apple has reportedly told developers that quitting is no longer necessary.

• Reply 75 of 86
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

~

By the way, even if these folders become invisible in the Finder, one can still get to them by Go -> Go to Folder. I use that to get to hidden system folders all the time. Well, not all the time! Or one could create an alias to the folder. Or simply make the folder visible.

Good alternatives to keep in mind.

As long as I can still do my obsessive fiddling with game settings etc., I?m happy to have things simplified for everyone else
  • Reply 76 of 86
    Meh.

I think Apple is running low on new ideas. I've seen nothing that would make me want to upgrade.
  • Reply 77 of 86
    Quote:

He wants the equivalent of moving a file without having to drag it (because presumably he doesn't want to have to have both source and destination folders open at the same time or rely on spring loaded folders.). And he doesn't want to use the shell or a script. In Windows, you can select the file and click "cut", then navigate at your leisure elsewhere and click "paste". Let me tell you, I am as big a Mac bigot as they come, but I am forced to use Windows at work. And I find this feature useful on occasion.

I wrote myself a little Automator action, saved as a Finder Service, to do essentially this. I merely select any combination of files and folders, then invoke my Automator action (typically via a Services pop-up menu). That opens a standard Save dialog, which i use to navigate to where i want to move things. I also have the option to create new folders from the dialog. Sometimes i find this more convenient that using spring loaded folders, or having two Finder windows open, so i know what you mean. If it's a destination i use a lot, i simply create an alias in the Finder's sidebar; quicker still.

For what it?s worth: I've also created actions to rename files. This works especially well when you want to rename multiple files, and the changes can be made using a find & replace algorithm. I have other actions simply to remove underbars from filenames and normalize capitalization, two tasks i find myself doing somewhat often. Automator is a great tool, and very convenient when used as a Service.
  • Reply 78 of 86
    Quote:

Sure, Mail has underpinnings to the iCal and Contacts frameworks, but you can?t use a SINGLE APP to control them all like you can in Outlook. This is one area that Outlook completely kills Mail.

To restate, I want a sidebar or icons to switch between Contacts and iCal views in Mail, not just the ability to add an iCal event from some parsed data in an email or add an email address to a message from my contacts.

Yeah, as long as Outlook is running.

This crock of shit is the most pathetic piece of garbage I have had the misfortune to use (suffer), maybe apart from Communicator.

How come m$ can write garbage and sells it for obscene profits to the corporate world, and get away with it ? I have to use m$ crap at work, from a dell to windows and other m$ pile of turd.

So don't tell me how good outlook is okay.
  • Reply 79 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Extensor View Post

Cut and paste in Finder is called Move. Select your files and drag to new location with Command key pressed.

Fixed it for you.

Dragging the item to another location is a move (not a copy/paste) and does not require pressing any additional keys.
  • Reply 80 of 86
    Quote:

Thompson

I use windows at work and I hate it.

So you cut a file, then you go for a smoke or coffee break, then come back in a few hours and presto, you simply paste it in the location you want.

Wow ! If I cut/copy/paste stuff I have two explorer windows open, whats the big deal, I do the same on my Macs.

I simply cannot see why this is even mentioned or commented about a dozen times.