Sources reveal Apple's new-look interface for Mac OS X Lion's Finder, Mail, and other apps

Comments

• Reply 61 of 140
    What's with apple greying out most buttons, and all sidebars, it looks a flat horrid mess.
  • Reply 62 of 140
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Will Finder windows remember their view settings like they did before 10.5?
  • Reply 63 of 140
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Not exact, but the idea is there:

• Reply 64 of 140
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cykz View Post

Oh.. just saw scrolling-is-bass-ackwards-in-lion . Now we know for sure...

That video was what I was looking for - they've removed aqua from the bars finally and they have what looks like the iTunes style scrollbar though it could also be the iOS one. This is a very welcome change. I don't mind the window buttons but the scrollbar style I don't like.

The scrolling direction will take a bit of getting used to but it makes sense. Some people will want to pull the page down so content goes up, others will want to pull the content down so the page goes up, you have to offer both really on a machine with multiple inputs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Not exact, but the idea is there:

I'd personally rather have just the characters so just a cross, a minus and a plus with no border. I'd actually put the window states separate and in a row but multiples to allow for other states like iTunes minimise. Full screen would be the right-most, docked would be the left-most.
  • Reply 65 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

Seems like Apple are forcing you to Do It Their Way...

That has been the corporate mantra for a long time. Don't tell me you're new to the platform?
  • Reply 66 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'd personally rather have just the characters so just a cross, a minus and a plus with no border.

I think it needs to be color-coded for most users though, despite how cool it may look.

• Reply 67 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Umm... use a tabbed web browser. They *all* use raised tabs to indicate the current one.

Yes, browser tabs do that. But every other button in OS X (OK, 99%) "depresses" and darkens when selected. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it might just take some getting used to, to remember that the darkened ones are NOT selected.
  • Reply 68 of 140
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I'm loving the new OS. The new multitouch touch gestures are cool - especially in Safari.
  • Reply 69 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

Anyone?

I don't have the beta, but from the screenshots: In the Systems Preferences, there are separate gestures for Expose and Mission Control.

Expose: Four-finger swipe up/down

Mission Control: Three-finger swipe

-though, this is a drop-down choice. I dunno what other choices for three fingers there are.

So I assume that you can still do expose only.
  • Reply 70 of 140
    Graphically, I like the look of all the UI elements that appear in the System Preferences screenshots. The textual tabs/slidey look ok (though I don't get the need for sliders).

iCal and Finder, not so much - it's a little overly dark and textured and as others have said, reverses the existing behaviour and gives the impression that the unselected options are unclickable.
  • Reply 71 of 140
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Azhar View Post

I absolutely agree with you. And it's ugly!

I love the new tab control. Never have understood it the other way. Ones not being used should be greyer or pressed back.
  • Reply 72 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think it needs to be color-coded for most users though, despite how cool it may look.

color coding is something that's very sadly missing from lion, like I said, what's with greying (or coloring over) every other button, and every side bar...
  • Reply 73 of 140
    Is there any chance that "Search" is usable again in Preview.app?

Snow Leopard removed the list of hits along with context in the sidebar, leaving only the pretty-but-useless page view. Even iBooks provides proper text results in its search!

(Leopard also used Spotlight's index to make the searches instantaneous. Not so in Snow Leopard.)
  • Reply 74 of 140
    I like the idea of being able to use iOS' spellchecker in Lion. Some people will love it. Personally, though, I do NOT want it.

If I am typing at speed and I make a mistake, I may not notice that Lion has taken a guess and corrected it for me and I may easily miss the strange word before I sent the email, document etc.

Currently, if I type at speed and make a mistake, Snow Leopard underlines it in red and I can't miss it. I can then give my attention to the mistake and right-click to select the correct spelling, which is nearly always on the list.

Of course, given that I can use a full-sized keyboard with Lion, the typos will probably correspond to the number one suggestion Lion makes with the spellchecker, as opposed to in iOS where the typos may be more severe and more likely to prove too much for the spellchecker to accurately correct.

I am just saying that I really hope we are given the choice to keep it as it is or switch to the iOS implementation. I don't make many typos, but when I do, I want to know about them.
  • Reply 75 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Not big on having AddressBook look like a book.

I fervently concur with this comment. Is this some attempt to virtually steampunk our perceptions of what we now consider everyday life, with the dreams of the first 'data keeper' of the Alenxander Graham Bell (and perhaps prior) era??
  • Reply 76 of 140
    Perhaps Copy & Pasting folders will no longer 'overrite' a destined folder of the same name?!
  • Reply 77 of 140
    Additional WTF moment. Why on earth is the fullscreen button in the right hand top corner?
  • Reply 78 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aldonius View Post

Additional WTF moment. Why on earth is the fullscreen button in the right hand top corner?

Apple are actually smoking dope. That's the only explanation.
  • Reply 79 of 140
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's only color-coded when you use the aqua theme though. The graphite one isn't. I think the shapes are enough for people, as evidenced by the fact the maximise button has no color-code.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aldonius

There's no other color for it on the left and the right side is where the lozenge used to be, though that might still exist on some windows.

I'd put all of the window positioning buttons on the right and close on the left. Too many times I see people mistakingly close a window when they mean to minimise or vice versa.

I originally thought about using squares on the right but what makes more logical sense is a set of bars like a phone signal where a flat line means docked and full bar means maximise. Normal windows would have 3 bars but the iTunes one would have 4 bars where the second one would be minimal player and the 3rd one is normal.
  • Reply 80 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

bringing a lot of the iOS UI to the Mac is great, but the big question is, will it run iOS apps too?

i know some will not work. but most would with all the new touch controls. since we see that Lion will definitely keep Dashboard, they could run there like widgets, which they resemble visually, tho they are far more powerful.

that would be a sensation, since many iOS apps are terrific, being so well focused on easy acces to specific purposes.

i would expect Apple to hold this back until the big Lion launch, to max the PR impact.

Nope, it is, quite frankly, impossible for current apps. iOS apps are compiled for ARM processors, so without recompiling their would need to be an emulation layer, and the state of the Android SDK shows exactly how good ARM emulation is at simulating the hardware found in smartphones - ie, pretty terrible. I suppose Apple could change the iOS SDK to make the Simulator more transparent (in development you compile apps to x86 to test in the simulator, then to ARM to put on the device), but they'd rather have people developing real Mac apps like they'd rather have people developing iPad apps, etc.