Next Final Cut Pro privately demoed by Apple, deemed 'a jaw-dropper'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ayow View Post

I'm probably going to buy the new standard 13" MBP, are these specs good enough for the next FCP?

Rendering speeds might be a bit slow with HD material. Otherwise, it would be fine.
  • Reply 22 of 77
    Some of the names mentioned as "onboard" with TB were encouraging, including Avid (which includes digidesign now), AJA and Black Magic. Combine that with a new FCS it's going to be a veritable xmass for Pro's. We're most certainly going to see some nifty IO's soon.
  • Reply 23 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

That's like what SJ says about everything. Lame.

But it's true every time. Pretty much.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    Quote:

Dude, its exactly the same line he says before every product release, including the lame ipod nano. Think different... come up with something new to say.

What's your problem? You prefer Ballmer's remarks about new products?
  • Reply 25 of 77
    inapinap Posts: 41member
    damn pocket is just not deep enough to be reading about this.................ugh...........
  • Reply 26 of 77
    Besides the standard wish list items, here's my totally left field wish list item... I'd like to be able to derive 3D data from a scene or set by combining high-res still images with video information taken from in-camera shots to aid in real-time set extension, VFX additions and the use of virtual props.

Beat that 64-bitters.
  • Reply 27 of 77
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Dude, its exactly the same line he says before every product release, including the lame ipod nano. Think different... come up with something new to say.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

He's of that group that gets bored and wants something different, simply for the sake of wanting something different. It doesn't matter if it's true, or it works great that change would be minimal.

But then five minutes later, he'll be bored again and want something different. There's no satisfying these individuals.

Thank goodness Apple doesn't listen to folks like these. Otherwise, we'd just have those "faster horses".
  • Reply 28 of 77
    It never takes long for an argument to erupt in a forum lol. As usual, based on someone not reading the article properly.

SJ did not call FCP a jaw-dropper, one of the pros who was shown it did.

It's good to hear some noises about one of the Pro pieces of software again. It might not be the high-earner that iOS etc. are, but it's where Apple's soul is and where its most die-hard proponents are. Logic, FCP, Aperture should always have a place in Apple's strategy. Apart from anything else, they create a stamp of respectability for the Mac platform.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

He's of that group that gets bored and wants something different, simply for the sake of wanting something different. It doesn't matter if it's true, or it works great that change would be minimal.

But then five minutes later, he'll be bored again and want something different. There's no satisfying these individuals.

Thank goodness Apple doesn't listen to folks like these. Otherwise, we'd just have those "faster horses".

I dunno. A really fast bionic horse would be tough to beat. With the price of gas add a "Mister Fusion" ala "Back to the future" and I'm sold.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Besides the standard wish list items, here's my totally left field wish list item... I'd like to be able to derive 3D data from a scene or set by combining high-res still images with video information taken from in-camera shots to aid in real-time set extension, VFX additions and the use of virtual props.

Beat that 64-bitters.

That would be an elitist-flummoxing update.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If Apple was smart, And I think they are, they would know that their Pro customers are not the same as "prosumer" customers. They should be pushing this on the NAB crowd, Hollywood filmmakers and TV production companies. They can always ship a "lite" version for "prosumers" (Final Cut Express). I draw the line at 4:2:2. If your workflow is 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, you are Pro. If you are 4:2:0 and you know what that means, you are "prosumer". If none of the above makes sense, you are "consumer" and should stick to iMovie.

Besides the Cohen brothers, Murch, Hammer and Copula, and based on the positions available now, it appears that FCP is well entrenched in the pro market.*

In fact, 9 out of 10 of this year's (2010) nominees in the "Documentary Feature" and "Documentary Short" categories used Final Cut Studio to make their films."

* http://www.simplyhired.com/a/jobs/li...ro+editor/pn-1
  • Reply 32 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

That would be an elitist-flummoxing update.

I'm no elitist, but I am in favor of a good flummoxing.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... in a report that suggested the new version would be in 64 bits ...

normally, I prefer my software to be in one big bit, or at the very least 2-3 bits, but 64 bits? seriously, I can't manage all those bits.

grammar police! someone slap his hand!
  • Reply 34 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ayow View Post

I'm probably going to buy the new standard 13" MBP, are these specs good enough for the next FCP?

better to wait and see the new software specs, you might miss out if you decide to gamble

if you want to use the current FCP Studio, specifically Color and/or Motion you need a screen resolution of 1680x1050, plus 256MB video ram for 32-bit rendering and 512MB for 4K video files. so check your specs!
  • Reply 35 of 77
    More hype. Would you expect a hand-picked deeply entrenched FCP user to come out and say he was underwhelmed? Let's wait and see what is actually in the update. I'm sure it will be more drop-jaw than lockjaw, but I refuse to be snowed by statements like this, or bluster such as

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

In fact, 9 out of 10 of this year's (2010) nominees in the "Documentary Feature" and "Documentary Short" categories used Final Cut Studio to make their films."

Every user has his/her own needs, and in any case I highly doubt that said directors usage of FCP is that monolithic.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    tipttipt Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Now, if only Apple were to come out with software to blow away Photoshop !!

I wish they did come out with a photo-editing software. I won't be that surprised if they are indeed working on it.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I draw the line at 4:2:2. If your workflow is 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, you are Pro. If you are 4:2:0 and you know what that means, you are "prosumer". If none of the above makes sense, you are "consumer" and should stick to iMovie.

You are being a dweeb. Yes I'm familiar with 4:4:4 and it's expanded color gamut and accuracy...but there are many elite creatives that have zero notion of 4:4:4.

I could make the same insistence that people should know "persistence of vision" or "triadic color combos" or fill-in-the-blank.

The Final Cut Suite is a large umbrella--under which technicians, editors, motion artists etc all live.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I dropped my jaw once, then I couldn't find it again. I have an ad in CraigsList... but no luck so far.

Hopefully Final Cut is enough of a jaw dropper that we can use it instead of after effects to animate a jaw working on your face. There in lies the key for me - are we going beyond the keyframe metaphor to a more user friendly implementation of Shake's node system? Hopefully the Motion UI got dropped away like your jaw.

praise jah
  • Reply 39 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Uh, when you say the exact same thing for everything, it ceases to have any meaning.
  • Reply 40 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hunabku View Post

Hopefully Final Cut is enough of a jaw dropper that we can use it instead of after effects to animate a jaw working on your face. There in lies the key for me - are we going beyond the keyframe metaphor to a more user friendly implementation of Shake's node system? Hopefully the Motion UI got dropped away like your jaw.

praise jah

I agree, node-style UIs are notoriously opaque in their function. They are a product of engineers and programmers, not interface designers. I do like Motion's interface, but even it could stand for some sweet, sweet refinement.