Sources reveal Apple's new-look interface for Mac OS X Lion's Finder, Mail, and other apps

Comments

• Reply 81 of 140
    Where is the color?

Just like the icons in iTunes, Apple seems to be taking a step back by draining the color out of all of the icons. I just don't get it. Are we suddenly back to the days of the original Macintosh that only has a monochrome display? Doesn't Apple realize that making everything gray makes things actually harder to see? I just don't get it.

I'm also not a huge fan of "borrowing' the UI from iOS. That makes zero sense to me. iOS was designed for a device that ONLY used a touchscreen for it primary interface. It needs to be different to accommodate that. Taking that unique interface and slapping it on to an OS--Mac OS X--that was always designed with a mouse in mind, just doesn't make sense. I understand that MacBooks have touchpads. That's great. Not all of use have touchpads. I understand borrowing a few UI elements, but what Apple is doing just seems strange to me.
  • Reply 82 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

All I ask is for is an option in System Preferences. Even if it's only an option between 'color' and 'gray scale.'

Amen to that!
  • Reply 83 of 140
    i think.... i think.... i think.... redmond gonna copy (again) SOME of these features innovated by cupertino....

redmond 8 <---- cupertino 10.7
  • Reply 84 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Looks great, but two things:

1. Is there an option for legacy exposé? (mission control is not for me)

2. addressbook. Seriously apple? Seriously?

I know. Address Book. Seriously? Looks like something from a children's program.
  • Reply 85 of 140
    One problem I have had with all tech is the lack of a fluid ecosystem. Even with Apple’s ecosystem being the best, by far, it’s still lacking in many ways.

For instance, I run Beejive, Mail with push, and other things on my iPhone (which is great), but I don’t want these to keep sending me a message when I’m on my Mac and going in to turn all these off can be tedious.

I’d like a setting in my iPhone and Mac OS X Lion that would do be set by a new API that would auto stop and start these apps on my iPhone when they are a set distance from my Mac or on a different network (I.e., devices on the same WiFi network).

That is the ecosystem I’d like Apple to push toward. I want more info with less fiddling with settings. Hopefully that screenshot of the location in Lion will lead to something like that.
  • Reply 86 of 140
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Not big on having AddressBook look like a book. Some things are limiting when they look like their real-world counterparts.

This tells me that GPS chips will be coming to Mac notebooks on the next revision. Of course, Skyhook can grab your location in other ways, but I think it?s the long overdue GPS coming.

Apple hasn't used skyhook since April (iOS greater then 3.2.2) last year and extremely doubtful they I'll use it for Lion.
  • Reply 87 of 140
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Same here.

I hope the addressbook hooks up with facebook. This way my contacts will be updated automatically.

Absolutely will not happen.
  • Reply 88 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Apple hasn't used skyhook since April (iOS greater then 3.2.2) last year and extremely doubtful they I'll use it for Lion.

Forgot about that, but the same logic still holds since they use their own system for determining location via IP address.
  • Reply 89 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by initiator View Post

Where is the color?

Just like the icons in iTunes, Apple seems to be taking a step back by draining the color out of all of the icons. I just don't get it. Are we suddenly back to the days of the original Macintosh that only has a monochrome display? Doesn't Apple realize that making everything gray makes things actually harder to see? I just don't get it.

I'm also not a huge fan of "borrowing' the UI from iOS. That makes zero sense to me. iOS was designed for a device that ONLY used a touchscreen for it primary interface. It needs to be different to accommodate that. Taking that unique interface and slapping it on to an OS--Mac OS X--that was always designed with a mouse in mind, just doesn't make sense. I understand that MacBooks have touchpads. That's great. Not all of use have touchpads. I understand borrowing a few UI elements, but what Apple is doing just seems strange to me.

it even goes against their human interface guidelines... I really like almost all of the new lion's feautures, but this is just atrocious, I sure hope the smarten up and change it...
  • Reply 90 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I like the look of the Finder where the applications scroll by like cover flow. I use an Apple track pad and magic mouse with my iMac and really am coming to appreciate the touch gestures. Took me a while not to have to actually "click" on the trackpad but now I like it a lot.

Same with the chick-let keyboard. Could not see myself going back to those big clunky PC type keyboards.

I could. People who do serious typing love the IBM Model M keyboards because of the heavy keys and the loud tactile feedback they provide. The current trend in keyboards, the laptop-style island keyboard, looks nice and works well, but nothing will ever beat a good Model M keyboard. Models built in the 1980s are still in use today.
  • Reply 91 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nixbsd View Post

i think.... i think.... i think.... redmond gonna copy (again) SOME of these features innovated by cupertino....

redmond 8 <---- cupertino 10.7

I guess it's fair, considering that Apple completely ripped off Shadow Copies in Lion and called it "Versions."

Because, you know, it's completely fine when Apple copies from Microsoft but the worst thing in humanity when the inverse occurs.

Or maybe we could come to the realization that by copying from each other, it's we the consumers who get better products in the end.
  • Reply 92 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Any word on stability of the release?

From the few hours I've been using it, it's been quite stable. Haven't experienced any kernel panics, crashes or anything of the sort. Obviously, some things are missing, others are broken, but for me, it's actually good enough now to use on a day-to-day basis.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

All I ask is for is an option in System Preferences. Even if it's only an option between 'color' and 'gray scale.'

Oddly enough, going into Appearance shows there isn't even a Graphite color setting anymore. The drop-down list is still there, though, implying it will come back. Maybe they just didn't get around to fixing all the grayscale widgets yet?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aldonius View Post

Additional WTF moment. Why on earth is the fullscreen button in the right hand top corner?

Because putting it on the left with the other traffic lights would make the window look cluttered. The green traffic light now seems to make the window fill all additional screen real estate not taken up by the Dock and menu bar, while the other button in the upper right makes it truly a fullscreen app.
  • Reply 93 of 140
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Any idea if iCal will get a more robust event details window? The current version is pretty pathetic in that regard and quite annoying to use if you've used any other calendar application.
  • Reply 94 of 140
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

They are removing as many UI elements as they can, making other visible only when you use them (scrollbars, Quicktime X), and what's left they are coloring grey to de-emphasize. It is all part of a pattern.
  • Reply 95 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They are removing as many UI elements as they can, making other visible only when you use them (scrollbars, Quicktime X), and what's left they are coloring grey to de-emphasize. It is all part of a pattern.

I have noticed this and I do like it. An operating system, in my opinion, should provide only the necessary chrome and little else. This is why I will always be partial to the GUI of Win9x, the System x days, GNOME, NeXTstep and any other GUI that doesn't flaunt color and tons of eye candy.

The problem I had with Aqua in its later iterations was that it was still using shiny, glossy widgets that were designed for hardware from the early 2000s that reflected the same style. But from the mid 2000s on, Apple has clearly moved to more matte, darker colors. And while I'm glad that Lion is now finally going to reflect this to an extent, it's just so odd it took this long.

I also find Quick Look becoming a nearly opaque white window a bit odd, too, but hey, I'll get used to it.
  • Reply 96 of 140
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's only color-coded when you use the aqua theme though. The graphite one isn't.

Like I said, for most users.
  • Reply 97 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'd put all of the window positioning buttons on the right and close on the left. Too many times I see people mistakingly close a window when they mean to minimise or vice versa.

I just had the same idea as this. And I think it's a super one. The "shapes" would work perfectly with this method, also.
  • Reply 98 of 140
    Quote:

I know. Address Book. Seriously? Looks like something from a children's program.

Guys, it looks awesome. If you're going to be pissed that's hardly the right direction.
  • Reply 99 of 140
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Blah!! Bland. I would like to see a black interface throughout the UI like can be seen on Snow Leopard's dock.
  • Reply 100 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

So mission control unifies spaces, expose, and dashboard but it doesn't REPLACE spaces or Expose right? Have confirmed that spaces and Expose is still present?

Yeah, I?ve been wondering about the same thing. I would really hate to lose Spaces. Anyone have confirmation on this?