Apple's introduces 15-, 17-in. MacBook Pros with quad-core i7 CPUs, AMD GPUs

Comments

• Reply 141 of 180
    Is it worth paying the extra $250 for 2.3Ghz rather than 2.2?
  • Reply 142 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adkinsadam1 View Post

Is it worth paying the extra $250 for 2.3Ghz rather than 2.2?

Never.
  • Reply 143 of 180
    zephzeph Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

there are none for sale by anyone yet, 6 is a lot.

I know, and with hubs the # of connections could be extended well beyond that. I was just surprised because FW supports 64 devices (theoretically), IIRC.
  • Reply 144 of 180
    n42n42 Posts: 34member
    Bought one today (2.2ghz 15"). Very pleased, my first Mac. Most responsive computer I've ever owned. Very exciting. I would agree that it is not worth an upgrade from last generation, though. Would wait for more significant overhaul, unless performance is your only concern.
  • Reply 145 of 180
    zephzeph Posts: 133member
    Geekbench result for the 15" 2.0 GHz: 8838

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/361065
  • Reply 146 of 180
    Nice updates, and Thunderbolt will be great in a few months when there's something to use it with. But same screen, same size, same weight, same optical, still only 8gb memory...what's the big deal?
  • Reply 147 of 180
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

I already have an Air. It's a nice and portable machine, but not usable as a main computer. I don't want less, I simply don't want a feature I never make use of (and which takes up about 25% of the internal space on an MBP).

Seriously, I'm so sick of people saying "just get an Air" when someone points out the fact that the Superdrive is obsolete. An Air does not have a quad-core CPU. An Air does not have a large, hi-res display. An Air does not have a dedicated GPU. An Air does not have enough storage. An Air does not have 8GB RAM. An Air does not have Thunderbolt. An Air does not have a backlit keyboard.

It does have one thing the MBP should have gotten today, though, and that's the dedicated SSD - and no superfluous ODD.

Oh well, just do it yourself then. $200 will get you what you want, much cheaper than Apple's bto option.
  • Reply 148 of 180
    The optical drive is the first thing I removed from my MacBook Pro 17". I replaced it with another hard drive, but could have easily replaced it with nothing and I would have still considered it an upgrade.

Seriously Apple, get rid of the built-in optical drives. I haven't used one of those easily scratched things in YEARS! You ay as well put a floppy drive in there
  • Reply 149 of 180
    Quote:

I already have an Air. It's a nice and portable machine, but not usable as a main computer. I don't want less, I simply don't want a feature I never make use of (and which takes up about 25% of the internal space on an MBP).

Seriously, I'm so sick of people saying "just get an Air" when someone points out the fact that the Superdrive is obsolete. An Air does not have a quad-core CPU. An Air does not have a large, hi-res display. An Air does not have a dedicated GPU. An Air does not have enough storage. An Air does not have 8GB RAM. An Air does not have Thunderbolt. An Air does not have a backlit keyboard.

It does have one thing the MBP should have gotten today, though, and that's the dedicated SSD - and no superfluous ODD.

You forgot the most important thing: the Air doesn't have an extra 4.3 lbs in the trunk.
  • Reply 150 of 180
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    [
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

That's funny. It's like saying I want that BMW without the CD drive, and the response is 'Then get a Honda'.

I want the pro level machine with more battery life and no ODD. Not sure why that desire threatens folks so much.

Now you know how people feel when they want a smaller, cheaper version of the Mac Pro and are told "Then get a Mini".
  • Reply 151 of 180
    still optical drives? come on, loose those already.

i dont want to retrofit a new MBP with an extra SSD
  • Reply 152 of 180
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    I really, really hate when shiny new stuff comes out, and I have absolutely no reason to buy it.

I would love one of those 15" i7 MBP units. That looks sweet.
  • Reply 153 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

I am thinking of replacing my MBP with a VAIO.

What? are you kidding me? from apple to PC? to Windows? Who was the one who said there is one born every minute?
  • Reply 154 of 180
    Gotta love these new MacBook's!

I have a "new" 15" MBP which I bought a couple of months ago and even though it's a great machine, I'm drooling for the new ones.

The benchmarks on these things show amazing performance. Who cares if the battery took a 1-2 hour hit, you can get a lot more out of these new MBPs.

Oh and I don't mind the lack of USB 3.0, I honestly don't think it will become much of a standard as it's previous "generation".

In terms of data transfer, Thunderbolt has twice the performance, and I get why Apple made their bet on it.

Not only it's fast, it's "made" by Intel, which also happens to be a manufacturer for USB 3.0. So you know Intel will want to give top performance. That means it has growth potential.

Besides, USB 3.0 has barely taken off at all imo.
  • Reply 155 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I really, really hate when shiny new stuff comes out, and I have absolutely no reason to buy it.

I would love one of those 15" i7 MBP units. That looks sweet.

arrrggghhhhg - I must have one, so that I ........ I MUST HAVE ONE!

But we're Bowerbirds, we love bright & shinny.

Bowerbird: The most notable characteristic of bowerbirds is their extraordinarily complex courtship and mating behaviour, where males build a bower to attract mates <not that description>

This, is why we're Bowerbirds

The other major bowerbuilding clade builds an avenue type bower made of two walls of vertically placed sticks. In and around the bower the male places a variety of brightly colored objects he has collected.

These objects ? usually different among each species ? may include hundreds of shells, leaves, flowers, feathers, stones, berries

and even discarded plastic items, coins, nails, rifle shells, or pieces of glass. The males spend hours arranging this collection.
  • Reply 156 of 180
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Actually I'm enjoying myself. The Apple SlamBoys would have been all over this like flies on poop. Where are they? Man, this material is gold for them.

Yes I WILL CALM DOWN SOON.

BruceP where are you we need your sage (though borderline incomprehensible) take on things!

i laff hard on that one i am playing borderlands for 4 days now

apple now has a system humming along quite fast right now

an incredible apple design team that morphes each new future type tech>>like thunderbolt into each new item for sale

so ball these new fangled wild stuff will be moved to all the other magical apple stuff

on and on so no one can ever catch apple

wow

wow and my verizon I-PHONE

it does fucking everything

the flashlight app is so bright .

any way i regret waiting so long .

i reccomend everybody buy the ipod touch and the iphone and put different media on each one , so if one battery goes out you have a great back up

as for the new apple MP line up well they have a weak i/2 from all the 13 inchers to the bottom of 15in ones

these lack of decent graphic cards made me buy the 2 chip 3.02ghz 15 in 2yrs ago

and i will buy again the top-o-line 15right now . and sell the old one

but apple really has to get some real graphic crads on all machines and stop hoping for a cloud rescuse .

aapl will be $ 600 in 18 months and still be cheap

the world only now is finding out how cool apple can be

i hope i did nvida right here ,

my real name is lostplay

peace

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jam71 View Post

definitely a step in the right direction, got my name down on a 15". Just have to keep it away form the wife who dropped her last one two days after she bought it! Still works though!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Gotta love the nitpickers.

I'm actually pretty hard to impress, but I have to say "Well done, Apple."

I'm interested enough to take an external to the store and see how it performs vs my current (2010) MBP 17. It may well end up that yet another family member gets a surprise gift this year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranger_one View Post

Thunderbolt is a much better interface...I use FW800 for disk arrays all the time and can't wait to buy a Thunderbolt array. But I agree, I wish they did at least give them USB 3.0 ports.

Because Blu-Ray sucks, for both content authors and system integrators due to the licensing. But let's not get back into the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray argument. Do you really think they keep Blu-Ray out of the Mac to protect their iTunes revenue stream? Please. Blu-ray sales do not compare well to standard definition DVDs, the players are klunky and slow, and Apple's iTunes HD videos not only look excellent (even though they are at 720P), but they're $10 cheaper than a typical Blu-Ray disk. I never want to buy a darn DVD again.

It's your choice, but I personally feel the Vaio (I use one at work) is a poor shadow of even my 2-year-old MBP.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eheiser View Post

I for one am getting a pimped out 15", come on, a quad core in a laptop is pretty sweet.

This will run rings around my 2006 iMac.

The only thing is that a 256GB SSD is a 500€ option, a bit much if you ask me. Will probably get a 7200 RPM Harddrive and upgrade to an SSD when they become a bit more affordable.

apple of course for all my bitching has again hit super home runs with this fast new line up of MBP

AND MBA will merge soon enough

• Reply 157 of 180
    It's kind of funny how people are simultaneously complaining that the SuperDrive is still included while complaining that a teeny, tiny adapter might need to be used to connect USB to the Thunderbolt port.
  • Reply 158 of 180
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Actually I'm enjoying myself. The Apple SlamBoys would have been all over this like flies on poop. Where are they? Man, this material is gold for them.

Yes I WILL CALM DOWN SOON.

BruceP where are you we need your sage (though borderline incomprehensible) take on things!

what devices have thunder in them ??
  • Reply 159 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Is it so hard to comprehend that there are thousands of USB devices designed for this?

A couple DVDs this past week? That's NOTHING. Hopefully you used your machine far more often than that...and if you did, you could have benefited from no DVD drive.

Do you carry the machine around when burning? Highly doubtful. An accessory for this rare occasion would not kill you, and would benefit you all other moments.

Vast majority my ass. The vast majority have used the drive once to make sure it works.

come on man. no need to get this fired up. different people have different needs, some people use the OD more than others. Its not like, steve jobs/apple will look at this forum and say "hey! this guy is still using cd/dvds! lets keep them!" apple decides what they want to do regardless. if its still in there, then theres definitely still a market for cds. cd/dvds have been around for a while now, isn't apple one of the computer companies that actually wants to get rid of it? calm down, and stop bashing on other people who don't share the same perspective you do.
  • Reply 160 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Is it so hard to comprehend that there are thousands of USB devices designed for this?

A couple DVDs this past week? That's NOTHING. Hopefully you used your machine far more often than that...and if you did, you could have benefited from no DVD drive.

Do you carry the machine around when burning? Highly doubtful. An accessory for this rare occasion would not kill you, and would benefit you all other moments.

Vast majority my ass. The vast majority have used the drive once to make sure it works.

and also, he may be wrong about the vast majority. but the vast majority of US are not "pros". I'm glad to see Apple sticking the Macbook "Pros" for professionals' needs not for normal web browsers and game players. These professionals are NOT vast majority, and most art majors and photographers, as well as music artists STILL use CD and rely heavily on them.

I am an extreme audiophile, and i know for a fact that, music played from a computer even with an amazing audio card and a crazy expensive amplifier will NOT, and NOT even CLOSE to music played from a cd that is burned with great power control and quality. and THAT is professional. I understand that the macbook pro is still a mobile machine, yet even the dvds/cds burnt from a mobile machine will still have a MAJOR difference in sound quality as compared to stereo and amplifier hooked onto a laptop or even an iMac. btw, iMac produces shit sound from its audio out, but the cds made from it is at least acceptable.

ironically, I too, would like my macbook pro odd-less, so I can include an extra ssd. I too, would not want a macbook air because simply it is not a mbp and does not have the horsepower the mbp has. i too, like the 15in, the quad core and the high graphics so i can put the games i play on ultra spec. but at the same time, although i probably am part of the "vast" majority of users, i am not considered a professional like the macbook "pros" are dubbed. apple was known to favor the media world not gamers, alienware is known for gamers. and honestly, id really like apple to remain that way (keeps the people who just began loving apple because of the hype and the trend away). btw, i also prefer the prices for apple to remain high, keeping apple's exclusivity (WAY too many people have apple products now). bottom line: professionals, those who are NOT vast majority deserves a professional laptop that still has optical drive for them, and thats what keeps macbook pro's professional. Not the vast majority who just wants a good looking badass laptop that normal students/gamers/consumers need. im sure we all know that other laptop brands do not have the software artists love.

When the time is right, apple will remove the ODD, barking dogs like you wont make a difference.