'Engineering issues' axed Retina Display, SD card slot from Apple's iPad 2 - report

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
While rumors that Apple's second-generation iPad due next week would include Retina Displays and SD card slots have long been refuted, one publication that originally made those claims has revised its predictions to say it no longer expects those features either.

Engadget on Thursday changed its predictions ahead of next week's iPad 2 event, and said that "engineering issues" led Apple to make last-minute design changes on the device. That's a change from what the site reported in January.

"It's worth noting once again that these sources have been dead right on specific Apple plans and specifications for unannounced products in the past, and we have no reason to believe these changes are due to anything more than legitimate engineering decisions made close to launch," editor Joshua Topolsky wrote.

While it's unclear how accurate that hypothesis is, AppleInsider confidently reported in January that the next-generation iPad would not have an SD card slot. Instead, a suspicious opening on third-party iPad 2 cases was said to facilitate access to the tablet's SIM card for 3G connectivity.

Similarly, AppleInsider also noted in January that there would not be a high-resolution Retina Display on the second-generation iPad. Apple has reportedly focused on making the new screen thinner and improving its anti-reflective properties, but will not offer a high pixel density like the iPhone 4. Instead, Retina-like displays are being positioned for a third-generation of the tablet due later this year or early next.

As part of its revised claims, Engadget believes Apple will introduce a thinner iPad next week, with a screen size and resolution identical to the first-generation device. The new model will reportedly include 512MB of RAM, doubling last year's model and matching the iPhone 4, inside of a new, faster A5 processor.

The new iPad is also widely expected to include at least one forward facing camera for FaceTime video chat. Some third-party cases have also shown that the iPad 2 could have a rear-facing camera as well.

The report also predicted that Apple will show off a preview of iOS 5 next week and issue a software development kit for developers. And he believes the company could possibly show off an expansion of its plans to expand services in the cloud.

Apple will host a media event in San Francisco on March 2 to show off its next iPad. AppleInsider will have full live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    I am a confused customer. Buy or wait for iPad 2.2 with retina in september?
  • Reply 2 of 102
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by titusm View Post

If you adopt the waiting game you will never buy anything.
  • Reply 3 of 102
    Translation: Engadget's so called "sources" had been smoking too deeply from the rumorpipe.

They are now backtracking wildly and try to dismiss their earlier off-target predictathon by suggesting someone at Apple changed their mind at the last moment.

It's a lie so transparent that we can see every detail of the steaming pile of rose fertiliser beneath.

C.
  • Reply 4 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Translation: Engadget's so called "sources" had been smoking too deeply from the rumorpipe.

They are now backtracking wildly and try to dismiss their earlier off-target predictathon by suggesting someone at Apple changed their mind at the last moment.

It's a lie so transparent that we can see every detail of the steaming pile of rose fertiliser beneath.

C.

I think I just learned that AI makes their articles from Engadget's posts. Only it takes more than 12 hours before they see this site.

Not being a troll, just posting observations.
  • Reply 5 of 102
    Someone says that Apple planned xyz and then Apple does not do xyz has NO correlation with Apples real plans. how about headline "Apple rumors once again wrong!". article then states take rumors with a big grain of salt, more likely than not either rumor has no foundation (most likely), rumor based on one of a gazillion prototypes 99.99% discarded, or simple error by source.

The embarrassingly poor level of journalism that takes gross speculation and treats it as fact drives me nuts. At a minimum score how often the source or the journalist has been right. My bet that would sober people up.

I love a good rumor, but give me a break it's a rumor and needs to be treated that way.
  • Reply 6 of 102
    I like John Gruber's take on it. Interesting piece to note in a footnote on his response:

"I could publish things I’m only half-sure about, like the iPad 2 switching from aluminum to a lightweight high-strength carbon fiber body, but I don’t, because I’m only half-sure and I’ve only heard about it from second-hand sources who themselves are unsure about it. And even if I were to off-handedly mention such speculation, I’d do so in a footnote and take pains to emphasize the uncertain nature of the information and the second-hand status of the sources thereof. What I would never do is take a flyer and report uncertain speculation as a fact, and, if it wound up not panning out, chalk it up to Apple having changed things at the last moment rather than the report being flat-out wrong all along."

Now that is something to look forward to, if true!
  • Reply 7 of 102
    Quote:

C.

Either Engadget is cover their asses or their sources are.

I'd like to know what "11th hour" engineering issues would cause Apple to scrape the SD card slot at the last minute? I can't think of a single reasonable argument for this.
  • Reply 8 of 102
    just read the comment by John Gruber: http://daringfireball.net/2011/02/eleventh_hour
  • Reply 9 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Either Engadget is cover their asses or their sources are.

I'd like to know what "11th hour" engineering issues would cause Apple to scrape the SD card slot at the last minute? I can't think of a single reasonable argument for this.

Exactly.

Apple are announcing the product next week. This is Apple, so the device will be pretty much ready to ship.

That means that production started months ago. The specification was finalised months before that.

Any engineering changes would have had to be made in late 2010; That's before Engagdet was publishing this retina display nonsense.

C.
  • Reply 10 of 102
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I guess I won't be getting the iPad 2 afterall. Because I hope to not upgrade for another 5 years, it's worth it to wait for retina display because that is a fundamental change in the platform.
  • Reply 11 of 102
    With the rumors of iPad 3 in the fall, I didn't think the retina display was coming this week anyway.

iPad 2 -add more ram, cameras, verizon model

iPad 3 - add retina display, support for G4 networks

The question is do they bump the CPU speeds for both releases? THat would be pretty aggressive. It would be reasonable to think that the iPad 3 and the iPhone 5 would have the same CPU. It seems premature to have that CPU available now and pretty aggressive to have a new custom CPU that will only be used in 1 product for 6 months. I guess if you're moving 20 million of those products it could make sense.
  • Reply 12 of 102
    Quote:

C.

They all do this, though. Attribute the rumor to "anonymous sources." Then say the "sources" were wrong or there were last-minute changes. It's all a big steaming pile.

~~~~~

I waited for iPad2. If this rumor does turn out to be true, I don't see a compelling reason to buy even though I really want one. I might just pick up an iPad1 for less $. I guess we'll see next week.
  • Reply 13 of 102
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

With the rumors of iPad 3 in the fall, I didn't think the retina display was coming this week anyway.

iPad 2 -add more ram, cameras, verizon model

iPad 3 - add retina display, support for G4 networks

The question is do they bump the CPU speeds for both releases? THat would be pretty aggressive. It would be reasonable to think that the iPad 3 and the iPhone 5 would have the same CPU. It seems premature to have that CPU available now and pretty aggressive to have a new custom CPU that will only be used in 1 product for 6 months. I guess if you're moving 20 million of those products it could make sense.

Retina display on an iPad is one hell of a long shot. The GPU would be required to push 3,145,728 pixels compared to the existing 786,432 pixels it currently displays. This would probably require the use of a dual core GPU and CPU and vastly increased memory, not to mention the cost of producing panels dense enough en-mass for the iPad.

This years iPads will utilise IPS displays bonded in the same way as the iPhone and 4th Gen iPod touch. Thus reducing reflections etc giving a brighter clearer display.

Expect an iPad revision to include retina display either 2012 if it comes at all. Apple have no reason to revise the iPad more than once per year.
  • Reply 14 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

They all do this, though. Attribute the rumor to "anonymous sources." Then say the "sources" were wrong or there were last-minute changes. It's all a big steaming pile.

The honest response is "we were wrong".

The dishonest response is "we were right ... but ..err.. they changed it at the last minute! Honest!"

C.
  • Reply 15 of 102
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Engadget should just admit its sources were wrong. Apple didn't change anything. As many reliable sources reported, there was no way Apple was going to put a retina display on this version of the iPad. The main reasons are cost, and the manufacturing process isn't developed enough yet to kick out the volume Apple would need in the size it would want. Decisions like what components are going into a products are made many months in advance because purchasing is made way in advance. As somebody else pointed out, there isn't a good reason why the SD card would be pulled at the last minute. Now it is possible there is an iPad floating around out there for testing purposes that somebody stumbled across. However, that is meaningless as Apple has lots of prototypes out there. Doesn't mean the products are shipping anytime soon or at all.

Sometimes last minute decisions are forced on Apple. The lack of camera in the last version of the iPod Touch seems to been a last minute decision based on quality issues concerning the cameras Apple was going to use. These alleged changes on the iPad 2 don't pass the common sense test.

I remember there were rumors that Apple would be introducing backlit keyboards for over a year before it happened. I wanted that feature and kept waiting for something that took a long time to happen. Obviously, Apple was working on that feature and rumor of it caught the rumor mill. Every press announcement it was claimed Apple was going to include the backlit keyboards. Every announcement I was disappointed. The reality was Apple was working on the keyboard, it just plans far in advance. Meanwhile, by planning my purchasing based on rumor sites I was disappointed for over a year.
  • Reply 16 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Expect an iPad revision to include retina display either 2012 if it comes at all. Apple have no reason to revise the iPad more than once per year.

Oh no! Another blow!

Audi have cancelled that flying car that my sources told me was a cert. Apparently there were last minute health and safety concerns.

C.
  • Reply 17 of 102
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by titusm View Post

Quote:

If you adopt the waiting game you will never buy anything.

All things iPad are still strictly rumors all the way through to the iPad3 as I haven't heard any iPad4 rumors yet, they will probable start around June. If you base your decision to purchase on rumored product you will never buy because the next rumored version will always be better,
  • Reply 18 of 102
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I agree with everything else you said. However, what has been true for Apple in the past, might not be true today. Android Tablets are starting to hit the market. Apple might stick to the update once a year strategy, but it might update quicker if it thinks Android is a threat.

Quote:

Apple have no reason to revise the iPad more than once per year.

• Reply 19 of 102
    Quote:

The honest response is "we were wrong".

The dishonest response is "we were right ... but ..err.. they changed it at the last minute! Honest!"

C.

I agree.

Somehow they think the dishonest response lends to their credibility.
  • Reply 20 of 102
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Oh I think they have very good reasons this year, and those reasons even have names - XOOM, Galaxy Tab 2, Playbook, and Touchpad.

Tablet competition will be ferocious this year, and without a retina display to shout about the iPad 2 is going to have a tough time competing against more technically advanced competition.