'Engineering issues' axed Retina Display, SD card slot from Apple's iPad 2 - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    "Engineering Issues"

AKA : with the possible exception of the Xoom, other manufacturers have not provided or brought to market a competitor that poses a real enough immediate threat to the current iteration of the Ipad to warrant a major feature upgrade such as the Retina( like ) screen. Apple believes they can hedge their bets by releasing a slimmer device with a highlight on processor speed and most importantly from a marketing standpoint, Facetime which will now essentially " work across their platform".
  • Reply 22 of 102
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

With the rumors of iPad 3 in the fall, I didn't think the retina display was coming this week anyway.

iPad 2 -add more ram, cameras, verizon model

iPad 3 - add retina display, support for G4 networks

The question is do they bump the CPU speeds for both releases? THat would be pretty aggressive. It would be reasonable to think that the iPad 3 and the iPhone 5 would have the same CPU. It seems premature to have that CPU available now and pretty aggressive to have a new custom CPU that will only be used in 1 product for 6 months. I guess if you're moving 20 million of those products it could make sense.

Do you believe every rumor you read? EVERYTHING you mention is still strictly all rumor.
  • Reply 23 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The honest response is "we were wrong".

The dishonest response is "we were right ... but ..err.. they changed it at the last minute! Honest!"

C.

Why should anyone apologize for a rumor? It was clearly labeled as such. You shouldn't be taking it as fact (regardless of what anyone puts up on their site, even John Gruber).

Now if they had said "We are 100% sure the iPad 2 is going to have an SD slot and a retina display because our sources said so" and the opposite happened, you could say they should apologize (even then, there's no direct harm to you). But people need to take with a grain of salt what they read on the Internet.
  • Reply 24 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Retina display on an iPad is one hell of a long shot. The GPU would be required to push 3,145,728 pixels compared to the existing 786,432 pixels it currently displays. This would probably require the use of a dual core GPU and CPU and vastly increased memory, not to mention the cost of producing panels dense enough en-mass for the iPad.

This years iPads will utilise IPS displays bonded in the same way as the iPhone and 4th Gen iPod touch. Thus reducing reflections etc giving a brighter clearer display.

Expect an iPad revision to include retina display either 2012 if it comes at all. Apple have no reason to revise the iPad more than once per year.

They have a a very good reason to have a two releases this year. To get on the iPod release cycle which gets the best products out before christmas instead of after. This is important so that people aren't waiting for the next model and so they can better compete against the latest android tablets during the biggest quarter of the year.

The retina display is going to be on all apple products in the next year or so. I'll be surprised if it's not on the next revision of the iPad, I never expected it on this one, though. But perhaps you just answered the question I had about CPUs - the fall release would be the same basic design but have more cores. 2 instead of 1 or 4 instead of 2 vs next week's model.

I do expect Apple to be very aggressive in keeping the iPad the clear tablet leader. They have a chance to make this more like the iPod than the iPhone in terms of market share as there was no established competition in the market like there was in the phone market.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Oh I think they have very good reasons this year, and those reasons even have names - XOOM, Galaxy Tab 2, Playbook, and Touchpad.

Tablet competition will be ferocious this year, and without a retina display to shout about the iPad 2 is going to have a tough time competing against more technically advanced competition.

And how well are the advanced products you mentioned selling today?
  • Reply 26 of 102
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

...and without a retina display to shout about the iPad 2 is going to have a tough time competing against more technically advanced competition.

I think it's more like...even without a retina display in the iPad 2, the competition is going to have a tough time competing against it.
  • Reply 27 of 102
    If true, I wonder what the engineering hurdles are for adding an SD card slot...
  • Reply 28 of 102
    Quote:

Oh I think they have very good reasons this year, and those reasons even have names - XOOM, Galaxy Tab 2, Playbook, and Touchpad.

Tablet competition will be ferocious this year, and without a retina display to shout about the iPad 2 is going to have a tough time competing against more technically advanced competition.

"Technically advanced". What a joke. Admittedly there is a set of consumers that must have all the latest features to feel like they got their money's worth. But those of us who are satisfied consumers of Apple products (bring it: Call me Fanboi) , know that it's not the hot-rodded hardware that matters, while it's good to have. It's the ingenuity and genius of the developers that make the iPhone, the iPad and the iPod Touch go. Not to mention Apple's ecosystem to integrate everything. Apple provides the platform and the environment and the developers create some cool shit for function and utility.

Until Xoom, etc. get that right, they'll always be also-rans, imho.
  • Reply 29 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Do you believe every rumor you read? EVERYTHING you mention is still strictly all rumor.

Other than the rumor of two releases of the iPad this year, I don't base my expectations off of rumor, but rather off of what makes sense. Facetime has to be added to the iPad this week, it's the single more glaring missing feature. And I'll be quite shocked if there isn't a 2x resolution display on the iPad by christmas, but never expected one in this release despite the rumors that are now being backtracked on.

this release - camera, facetime, more ram, possibly faster cpu, support for verizon. Even the verizon support was pretty obvious before any rumors, you could see this coming the day Verizon started selling iPad with Myfi.

fall release - 2x display, faster CPU, G4 support in a single model that also supports AT&T 3G and Verizon G3

These evolutions seem pretty clear. Apple being apple, I also expect a surprise or two along with the above and thunderbolt quite clearly will be added in one of these releases. Quite clearly one of the goals of it's design is to speed up syncing of the iPad and iPhone.
  • Reply 30 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

They have a a very good reason to have a two releases (of the iPad) this year. ....

I'm not saying it might not happen but people are getting really carried away with this "two releases" idea.

We would all do well to remember that this suggestion came from *one* person only on *one* blog and was labelled as "speculation" by the person who wrote it. There is to my knowledge, no source for this idea, no evidence, no leaks that support it and no confirmation from any source other than the original person who speculated about it.
  • Reply 31 of 102
    There are more technically advanced tablets than the current (G1) iPad out (in the case of xoom) or about to be launched.

However in the case of the android they have a problem in that Android appears (empthises because I only have a limited experience of it) appears to drag down performance. Every review i have seen says that the dual core processor xoom operates as well as a G1 iPad - If the G2 iPAD has a dual core processor pairing (C & GPU) updated then i dont see (in the short term anyway) those tablets beating the iPad. A possibile exception is the HP/WebOS system - but that would be a stretch.

So i dont think hardware is an issue for Apple - i do think that there are certain areas of iOS that could be cleaned up for iOS5, which i hope will be given an early preview on the Wednesday (notifications and the mail & web app come to mind). And please dont beat me for saying this but i think Apple might have (because its proably already late in development) done a good thing to look at the music player on WP7.

Generally introduce minor improvments rather than wholescale changes - iOS is a damn nice interface for mobile units, but not perfect. I think that people are getting hung up on the hardware when its the software that really matters.

EDIT: Made Minor spellling corications and clarifications
  • Reply 32 of 102
    A beefed up iPad 3 to be launched in the fall seems more likely now. Just in time for the holidays.
  • Reply 33 of 102
    Quote:

If you adopt the waiting game you will never buy anything.

In the extreme, true. However, on devices and software that I have wanted, as opposed to needed, I have on several occasions waited for a later version with great results, getting the product I want with features I felt sure would be present in the near future.
  • Reply 34 of 102
    Engadget is just throwing a bone to their dedicated Apple haters. Making it seem like Apple is hapless.

I'm so glad that Gruber doesn't have comments. I certainly don't blame him.

Anyway, as soon as we found out the the Retina thing was a bad guess, I decided to skip iPad 2. iPad 3 or 2.2 or whatever is the one with a real screen upgrade. Can't stand that pixely screen next to my iPhone 4.

Speaking of Apple haters, Gizmodo is in a snit this week. Everybody got a new MacBook Pro unit to play with except them. That's what happens when you traffic stolen goods.
  • Reply 35 of 102
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:

Those were all vapor in the most extrem sense when future iPad product cycle was planned. 3 of the 4 still don't have a shipping date. So I doubt they were considered in any specific manner if at all.

BTW, I don't think those are really that more technically advanced than iPad 1, much less iPad 2.
  • Reply 36 of 102
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

If you adopt the waiting game you will never buy anything.

If you're an early adopter you'll always be buying something

like me!
  • Reply 37 of 102
    Replace/augment the Dock connector with Thunderbolt?
  • Reply 38 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scades View Post

Yeah, that would make total sense!

#noitwouldnt

C.
  • Reply 39 of 102
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scades View Post

As if the tablet has anywhere near the power to run Thunderbolt? Did you see how big the chip was?
  • Reply 40 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Translation: Engadget's so called "sources" had been smoking too deeply from the rumorpipe.

They are now backtracking wildly and try to dismiss their earlier off-target predictathon by suggesting someone at Apple changed their mind at the last moment.

It's a lie so transparent that we can see every detail of the steaming pile of rose fertiliser beneath.

^ This.