'Engineering issues' axed Retina Display, SD card slot from Apple's iPad 2 - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

As if the tablet has anywhere near the power to run Thunderbolt? Did you see how big the chip was?

I don?t see a problem here. It?s a large chip, but when it?s plugged into a Thunderbolt port it?s getting 10W of power from the host. This not only means a decent charging rate but a faster data sync rate, both which far exceed USB.

The size isn?t a real issue in the iPad, at least not the original iPad, when I look at the iFixit breakdown. Even the 3G card used for just GSM/HS*PA is larger than the Gobi 2 cards that actually provided CDMA/EV-DO/GSM/HS*PA.

The real issue here might be cost, but even if it?s fairly expensive it could push enough consumers to buy a new Mac to get that new technology. Well, at least for me it?s the only thing that could get me to buy a new MBP for this revision.
  • Reply 42 of 102
    I like Apple - have an iPhone 3GS, plan to upgrade to "iPhone 5" and use a MBP at work. But this is (TO ME) is not a good upgrade. No SD-Card or Thunderbolt connectivity? No high-res screen? iPad 2 has what new... a couple cams, thinner (which most people don't care about), and more RAM (which is very good)...but still, whoopdee-freaking-doo. Especially with the Xoom and TouchPad (etc) coming out with dual-core processors, SD slots, better messaging and multi-tasking options, 1G RAM, HD cam, etc etc. Apple has to keep up and hopefully next Wednesday will offer more than 2 cams, more RAM, and thinner. I hope they at least put a higher res screen and some type of better connectivity.

All I'm saying is Apple can't lay back on their laurels and think, "We're Apple... iPad is #1, we have our devoted fans/buyers and we can put anything out there, even if it's not as good as the competition because they'll buy anything with an Apple logo." Next thing you know it'll be Android phones all over again... people will bail on Apple and go to other devices - then Apple is losing market share rapidly and fighting to keep up.

A friend of mine who relies on me for Tech advice wants to buy an iPad for his wife, I been telling him to wait for iPad-2. Now I have to tell him to look at iPad2, but also keep his options open and also look at Xoom and TouchPad when it comes out. Don't get complacent Apple, we aren't all Apple drones.
  • Reply 43 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by titusm View Post

I am a confused customer. Buy or wait for iPad 2.2 with retina in september?

This is why you buy when you're ready. Yeah, if you know something new will be announced in a few weeks you may hold off. But months and months? No. I got the iPad 1 within a short time of release and have been enjoying it all these months while some people I know are still waiting for v2. If v2 (or 1.5) has no retina and other things they are expecting, what then? They've waited so long already. Why not a few more months in case a new version is out in the fall? It never ends. For my needs, I see no reason to upgrade now. Down the road when I'm ready to do so, I will buy what's avaible rather than chase rumored features "merely months away."
  • Reply 44 of 102
    Rest on it's Laurels... no... but it can delay shipping products if the competition isn't competing with the current platform and 'keeping your powder dry.' It makes economic sense to 'milk' this cash cow with incremental updates... most likely keeping the entry level price just below what an OEM+OS+Retailer can sell a comparably specced competitive product for.

I'm happy with apple releasing what it can with limited risk and upside. FaceTime, better compute platform, more memory, and better battery life are all we really need right now.

If anything, I'd welcome a 6 month release schedule, to give better reaction time to the competition, and hit critical market dates (Why is a Q1 release date important for computers phones and tablets... because corporate budgets free up around March every year... Why are iPods so important to release in September... to hit the holiday sales cycle). Now, with crossover products like 'corporate phone' and 'professional tablet', that double as 'gamer phone' and 'personal/portable compute/media device' a 6 month cycle will force the competition to continually 'skate to where the puck was' Where Apple executes 'short crisp passes' on their way down the ice.
  • Reply 45 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Absolutely buy. iPads have a good resale value. But I'd say buy iPad 2 and wait for iPad 4.
  • Reply 46 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Translation: Engadget's so called "sources" had been smoking too deeply from the rumorpipe.

They are now backtracking wildly and try to dismiss their earlier off-target predictathon by suggesting someone at Apple changed their mind at the last moment.

It's a lie so transparent that we can see every detail of the steaming pile of rose fertiliser beneath.

C.

Drinking the Gruber Aid I see.
  • Reply 47 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Oh I think they have very good reasons this year, and those reasons even have names - XOOM, Galaxy Tab 2, Playbook, and Touchpad.

Tablet competition will be ferocious this year, and without a retina display to shout about the iPad 2 is going to have a tough time competing against more technically advanced competition.

You're always good for a laugh.

Note to self: Put down coffee before reading kotatsu's posts.
  • Reply 48 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Drinking the Gruber Aid I see.

It does not take Gruber's enormous nose to smell a pile of horsepoop this high.

C.
  • Reply 49 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I don’t see a problem here

I do.

1) Thunderbolt would not plug into my Mac

2) It would not plug into a TV

3) It would not plug into my dock.

4) It's not designed to support the weight of the device.

5) No peripheral that the iPad uses would ever need it

The iPod dock connector is a brilliant thing. People who whine about it deserve to spend eternity trying to plug a bent mini USB plug into a recessed socket.

C.
  • Reply 50 of 102
    Quote:

It really depends on what you actually want. There are people who will spin off this whole "if you wait for the next model, you'll be waiting forever." Those people are people obviously not looking for specific features.

I held off buying the first generation iPad because I didn't like the screen. I have better than 20/20 vision and can easily see the pixels on the screen. While I can also see the pixels on my MBP and on my 30" Cinema Display, they are generally further from my eyes in normal use so they tend to be less of an issue for me. I saw the iPhone 4 and loved the Retina display. The bad news for me was that I skip generations as a rule with Apple products (especially when they come with lovely two year contracts. I bought the first generation iPhone as it was revolutionary. I skipped the 3G and I bought the 3Gs. When the iPhone 5 is for sale, I'll buy it because I know they won't downgrade the display.

The iPad 2 had rumors floating around about a Retina Display on it. To me, personally, the display is the single largest factor when it comes to the iPad. If this new one doesn't have a Retina Display (one I can't see the pixels on), it's a non-event to me regardless of what they put under the hood. So it really depends on what you intend on using the iPad for. If the specs on the next one meet your needs, then go ahead and buy it because you'll be happy with it even when a newer version comes out. If you're looking for something specific, I say it's best to wait for that specific thing to be incorporated in the design.
  • Reply 51 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...iPad would not have an SD card slot. Instead, a suspicious opening on third-party iPad 2 cases was said to facilitate access to the tablet's SIM card for 3G connectivity.

This one cracks me up. Like we need constant access to a SIM slot
  • Reply 52 of 102
    Quote:

The iPad "2.2" or 3 won't come out till 2012 at the earliest.

Reports of a 2nd iPad being introduced this year will most likely be of another screen size. My guess is it's going to be a large iPod Touch.
  • Reply 53 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Absolutely buy. iPads have a good resale value. But I'd say buy iPad 2 and wait for iPad 4.

Well Ok, thank you. I guess I am this type of guy, even when I hate to look at 132 ppi compared to the iPhone4 or a physical newspaper. There is so much good software for iPad out now. Hope it will be lighter. Still enjoy to hear more rumors until wednesday.
  • Reply 54 of 102
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

I like Apple - have an iPhone 3GS, plan to upgrade to "iPhone 5" and use a MBP at work. But this is (TO ME) is not a good upgrade. No SD-Card or Thunderbolt connectivity? No high-res screen? iPad 2 has what new... a couple cams, thinner (which most people don't care about), and more RAM (which is very good)...but still, whoopdee-freaking-doo. Especially with the Xoom and TouchPad (etc) coming out with dual-core processors, SD slots, better messaging and multi-tasking options, 1G RAM, HD cam, etc etc. Apple has to keep up and hopefully next Wednesday will offer more than 2 cams, more RAM, and thinner. I hope they at least put a higher res screen and some type of better connectivity.

All I'm saying is Apple can't lay back on their laurels and think, "We're Apple... iPad is #1, we have our devoted fans/buyers and we can put anything out there, even if it's not as good as the competition because they'll buy anything with an Apple logo." Next thing you know it'll be Android phones all over again... people will bail on Apple and go to other devices - then Apple is losing market share rapidly and fighting to keep up.

A friend of mine who relies on me for Tech advice wants to buy an iPad for his wife, I been telling him to wait for iPad-2. Now I have to tell him to look at iPad2, but also keep his options open and also look at Xoom and TouchPad when it comes out. Don't get complacent Apple, we aren't all Apple drones.

Your entire rant is based on bullsht rumors. Just. Wait.

I am entirely unaffected by the rumor mill, and I maintain the fact that the new iPad 2 WILL in fact have a higher pixel density. This is just my belief, based on how well I know Apple...so we'll see.

Honestly my opinion on it is no more valid or invalid than John Gruber or Engadget. In fact, my opinion is probably slightly more valid since I'm not click baiting with every word I post.
  • Reply 55 of 102
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

The iPad "2.2" or 3 won't come out till 2012 at the earliest.

Reports of a 2nd iPad being introduced this year will most likely be of another screen size. My guess is it's going to be a large iPod Touch.

No, they are most likely garbage that was drudged up by competitors, trolls, or people desperate for a few clicks. The only thing iOS coming this fall is iPod touch 5 and a spec bump to Apple tv.
  • Reply 56 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

whoopdee-freaking-doo. Especially with the Xoom and TouchPad (etc) coming out with dual-core processors

You should definitely get a XOOM.

Then let us know how you get on.

C.
  • Reply 57 of 102
    Kids, Apple is a creature of habit and great product development cycles, they will not put out one version of the iPad2 next week and then change it in September. They will not cannabalize one product line's sales (iPod family), to sell an improved product just 6 months after they introduce it, especially if they are already selling millions of the iPad2. They spread out their product upgrades for this reason. A study of how Apple develops and markets its' products over the past several years is a study of how to run any product development cycle. Focus on one family of products at a time, to focus your customers' attention (and money) on one product at a time.

Their attention to fine detail reaches way beyond their amazingly well thought out products. Start the year out with higher priced product upgrades (Macs, iPads), then the next intro a few months later focus on lower priced product (iPhone), then in another few months, even lower priced products (iPods), so for the Back to School/Christmas/Hanukkah buying/gift giving season people have had longer to save up $$ for the higher priced "gifts", with less time for the lower priced - impulse buy gifts. Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iMac, iPad, iPhone, iPod...

So the rumored iPad 2.5 will be a larger iPod Touch, meaning no 3G connectivity (which will be reserved for the iPad).

There's your lesson in Product Development/Design/Marketing 301 for today. Go research the last several years of Apple product delivery cycles for your homework assignment...
  • Reply 58 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Oh I think they have very good reasons this year, and those reasons even have names - XOOM, Galaxy Tab 2, Playbook, and Touchpad.

Tablet competition will be ferocious this year, and without a retina display to shout about the iPad 2 is going to have a tough time competing against more technically advanced competition.

An iPad retina display has less to do with the competition and more to do with fundamentals like: cost of production, memory utilization, power consumption, processing power, etc. The author wasn't arguing about whether or not a retina display on an iPad was a good idea, or if Apple does or does not have a good reason for wanting to do it, they were addressing the probability that it is actually achievable at this time; these are very different animals.
  • Reply 59 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

You should definitely get a XOOM.

Then let us know how you get on.

C.

And enjoy spending more money for it than an equivalent iPad, by the way. Enjoy, too, the malware and other threats floating around the Android marketplace, and the turgid applications churned out by Google's singularly underwhelming development environment.
  • Reply 60 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

And enjoy spending more money for it than an equivalent iPad, by the way. Enjoy, too, the malware and other threats floating around the Android marketplace, and the turgid applications churned out by Google's singularly underwhelming development environment.

Don't forget the "send it off for 6 days to get the upgrade"

and the unforgettable.

"Sign up for a one month cellular contract to enable WiFi."

C