Inside Mac OS X Lion: New Window Controls & Gestures

Comments

• Reply 21 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

I love that I'm on an Apple fansite with my iPod and can't view the videos because they're in Flash.

Really? They show up fine on my iPhone, no flash needed.
  • Reply 22 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

Hidden scrollbars and some of these other "new features" violate apple's own human interface Guidlines. One of the important ones is not to hide controls. I totally understand why they do it on a small screen like the iPhone, but for big screens it doesn't make sense.

Full screen apps? What's next MDI?

Sheldon

Fully agree. Anyone using a screen reader isn't going to find some of the new hidden controls
  • Reply 23 of 127
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Hidden scrollbars and some of these other "new features" violate apple's own human interface Guidlines. One of the important ones is not to hide controls. I totally understand why they do it on a small screen like the iPhone, but for big screens it doesn't make sense.

Sheldon

I really have to agree. It's like the old web sites that would hide easter eggs on their pages. If you hoover your pointer over just the right spot you could click and unveil the surprise. I shouldn't have to wiggle my mouse just to get scroll bars so I can see how far through a document I am or figure out which direction to move the mouse to get to the scroll thumb. Glance at your scroll bar right now on this page. You can instantly tell how far down you are on the page, how long the page is overall, and how much more of these asinine comment you have to read before you get to the end of the page. All just by glancing and seeing the position and size of the scroll thumb, And you didn't have to wiggle your mouse to see that.

How long will it take for users to realize they can hide the folder source list sections if they don't just happen to move their mouse near the section headers? Or that you can resize windows using the window frame that doesn't exist. Personally, I dislike the absence of window edges even in Snow Leopard. The screen looks even more cluttered to me because there is no clear boundary between windows of information.

Not that it's bad, it's all really minor stuff. It's just not as efficient. It's hard enough to learn all the little ins and outs of OS X as it is. You have to go buy books to figure out all the little tricks and shortcuts. Now we are going to need books to show us where all the hidden interface elements are if we can't find them on our own.
  • Reply 24 of 127
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nudist View Post

Fully agree. Anyone using a screen reader isn't going to find some of the new hidden controls

no you don't agree :

voiceover can describe the interface and a list without displaying a "scrollbar".

and for universe's sake : they are still AVAILABLE if you want ! they even magically come back if you use only a mouse without tactile or scroll button.

isn't the world marvelous ?
  • Reply 25 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Why do you insist in writing for AI under two names?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Quite laughable, indeed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

I know! Why bring 'Prince' back after all this time? I thought Daniel got over that around the same time 'The Artist formerly known as 'Prince'' did.

Wow.

Get, like, a life?!
  • Reply 26 of 127
    Well, think of it. The first video is against Apple's developer agreement. So you gotta use a fake name to write about it, so that you or your sources don't get in trouble with Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 127
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This reverse-scroling in the OS is MEGA-annoying. Great OS though.
  • Reply 28 of 127
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Really? They show up fine on my iPhone, no flash needed.

Yeah. Just checked on my 3GS, and they played perfectly.
  • Reply 29 of 127
    Quote:

This reverse-scroling in the OS is MEGA-annoying. Great OS though.

You can revert to the old behavior in Trackpad/Mouse preferences.
  • Reply 30 of 127
    I hate all that monochromatic (or embossed) garbage on the interface, i am very excited about lion for a lot of things, but the interface is not one, I hope there are hacks to return back to aqua.

Less vehemently I dislike the overlay scroll bars, I have enough screen real estate to be able to view where I am on a document via the scroll bar.
  • Reply 31 of 127
    I hope they spell 'favourites' right on the British version. I have to say it looks pretty slick, although I find I navigate to files and folders almost exclusively using Spotlight these days.
  • Reply 32 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

Reverting the buttons to a horizontal layout can easily be done. With iTunes not running, open Terminal and enter the following code:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes full-window -1

To restore the vertical layout, simply use this command:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes full-window -0

(Courtesy of Macworld.com)

thanks!
  • Reply 33 of 127
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Yes, but such guides are based on the times and people's perception of how computers work. Ten years ago many people didn't know you could grab a side of a window and change the size. Today, pretty much everybody who uses a computer knows that.

Quote:

Sheldon

• Reply 34 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow.

Get, like, a life?!

Really? Because I would suggest that to the author of the instead of me. Seriously, what kind of person is strange enough to post under a second name? It says a lot.
  • Reply 35 of 127
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I'm very happy to see more and more UI goodness from NeXTSTEP appear in Mac OS X. I used a NeXT all through college and adapted quickly to the NeXT way. Once I did, it was very very difficult to come back to a Mac. I'd be wishing it had more of the NeXT capabilities.

I really miss Publish and Subscribe. There is a youtube video where a young Steve Jobs demoes the NeXT OS. He even makes a few jabs at the Mac OS along the way.

Tear off menus are another thing I miss a lot. Imagine not having to mouse to the top of your screen. Imagine setting up the menus and commands alongside your window just where you want them.

The NeXT (and NeXTSTEP) were so far ahead of their time. I think Apple misjudges how quickly us Macheads can adapt to something new. It's been a slow evolution, but at least we are moving in the right direction.

Here's hoping Lion will trash the trashcan. We have a spacey desktop, now we need to bring back the black hole for erasing files.
  • Reply 36 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

I hope they spell 'favourites' right on the British version. I have to say it looks pretty slick, although I find I navigate to files and folders almost exclusively using Spotlight these days.

Amen! My biggest bugbear is 'alternate' being forced on me in some programs. 'Alternate' and 'alternative' are completely different words with completely different meanings!

I don't think it's too much to ask for a little localisation here and there. Usually found Apple ok on this front though. Was a bit confused Pages didn't pick up my system language from my Preferences and needed changing which left me a little puzzled why I was being red underlined for some words when I thought Pages used the system dictionary but got there in there end!
  • Reply 37 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow.

Get, like, a life?!

A life? To be fair you can't honestly expect to be called a journalist if you change your name depending on what type of article you are writing.
  • Reply 38 of 127
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:

Why do you insist in writing for AI under two names?

who cares and why does it matter?
  • Reply 39 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

Well, think of it. The first video is against Apple's developer agreement. So you gotta use a fake name to write about it, so that you or your sources don't get in trouble with Apple.

Yes we all know what, and that was perhaps the reason. But it's not a good excuse given how many times he's done this in the past when in articles where he wouldn't have got a smacked bottom from Steve and Co. If we know it's Daniel writing the article then everyone else does too.
  • Reply 40 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cougar View Post

You can revert to the old behavior in Trackpad/Mouse preferences.

Desktop with no trackpad. Perhaps that's why I couldn't find it.