Inside Mac OS X Lion: New Window Controls & Gestures

Comments

• Reply 41 of 127
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

who cares and why does it matter?

Because journalism matters. Trust matters. You can disagree with Gruber all you want, but you never see him changing his name.
  • Reply 42 of 127
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Really? They show up fine on my iPhone, no flash needed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

I love that I'm on an Apple fansite with my iPod and can't view the videos because they're in Flash.

guch20 the troll or just clueless? these are youtube videos and youtube works on all ios devices as they will load without flash. shame on you!
  • Reply 43 of 127
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Because journalism matters. Trust matters. You can disagree with Gruber all you want, but you never see him changing his name.

LOL - it has fk all to do with trust!
  • Reply 44 of 127
    I couldn't locate AirDrop.

I desperately wanted a system-wide consistent nonfiction system in Lion. I desperately wanted a dropbox like documents folder. Perhaps we'll get the latter in the new Mobile Me, for Lion.
  • Reply 45 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

LOL - it has fk all to do with trust!

Oh but it has. Have the balls to stick with one name if you're going to write professionally online. Have the balls to stick to one name per website, at least.
  • Reply 46 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I'm very happy to see more and more UI goodness from NeXTSTEP appear in Mac OS X. I used a NeXT all through college and adapted quickly to the NeXT way. Once I did, it was very very difficult to come back to a Mac. I'd be wishing it had more of the NeXT capabilities.

I really miss Publish and Subscribe. There is a youtube video where a young Steve Jobs demoes the NeXT OS. He even makes a few jabs at the Mac OS along the way.

Tear off menus are another thing I miss a lot. Imagine not having to mouse to the top of your screen. Imagine setting up the menus and commands alongside your window just where you want them.

The NeXT (and NeXTSTEP) were so far ahead of their time. I think Apple misjudges how quickly us Macheads can adapt to something new. It's been a slow evolution, but at least we are moving in the right direction.

Here's hoping Lion will trash the trashcan. We have a spacey desktop, now we need to bring back the black hole for erasing files.

Couldn't agree more. Always been surprised at how long it's taken to bring these forward.

Forever live Publish-Subscribe

Ken

Fellow NeXT user
  • Reply 47 of 127
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow.

Get, like, a life?!

I have one, thank you.

I was just curious why Dilger needs two!

• Reply 48 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I'm very happy to see more and more UI goodness from NeXTSTEP appear in Mac OS X. I used a NeXT all through college and adapted quickly to the NeXT way. Once I did, it was very very difficult to come back to a Mac. I'd be wishing it had more of the NeXT capabilities.

I really miss Publish and Subscribe. There is a youtube video where a young Steve Jobs demoes the NeXT OS. He even makes a few jabs at the Mac OS along the way.

Tear off menus are another thing I miss a lot. Imagine not having to mouse to the top of your screen. Imagine setting up the menus and commands alongside your window just where you want them.

The NeXT (and NeXTSTEP) were so far ahead of their time. I think Apple misjudges how quickly us Macheads can adapt to something new. It's been a slow evolution, but at least we are moving in the right direction. Aa

Here's hoping Lion will trash the trashcan. We have a spacey desktop, now we need to bring back the black hole for erasing files.

I amongst others advocated inside Apple for a defaults option to give us the NeXT Window Views and Tear Off vertical menu system with the left-side scroll bars but to no avail as the traditional Mac devs and users couldn't handle it. Alas, use NeXT engineers didn't get to completely dictate all areas when we merged with Apple.

I'm not sure the clipped window contents works in the icon or column view with the scroll bars hidden, until action is taken. On the Cover flow view it makes sense.
  • Reply 49 of 127
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Really? Because I would suggest that to the author of the instead of me. Seriously, what kind of person is strange enough to post under a second name? It says a lot.

If I were Prince Dan, I know I'd be really upset to hear that I've been called out for being "strange" and "posting under a second name" by a hysterical troll named HahaHaha.

Are you really that stupid, or are you trying to appear unintentionally moronic as a joke?
  • Reply 50 of 127
    Quote:

Really? Because I would suggest that to the author of the instead of me. Seriously, what kind of person is strange enough to post under a second name? It says a lot.

Oh, I am willing to bet your first name is not HahaHaha321. Yet, here you are, posting.....

• Reply 51 of 127
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Well Gruber hasn't been sued by Apple like AI has either.

And you can shut up about "changing your name" too, "Ireland."

It's amazing what a pretentious asshole you are on such a consistent basis. Hypocritical douche.
  • Reply 52 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

I have one, thank you.

I was just curious why Dilger needs two!

Touché.
  • Reply 53 of 127
    Quote:

Literary history is full of such behavior. E.g., Lewis Carroll. (Of course, I am not implying that Prince is in the same league! )

See, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pen_name
  • Reply 54 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh, I am willing to bet your first name is not HahaHaha321. Yet, here you are, posting.....

Yes, but I'm not here posting under two separate accounts. Yet the author is using two different "real" names, for some idiotic reason.
  • Reply 55 of 127
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Why do you insist in writing for AI under two names?

Probably a self-reminder to behave himself for the span of certain articles. Also this article has NDA stuff so he doesn't want risk his real name.
  • Reply 56 of 127
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    All of these are excellent improvements to the UI and whole experience. Apple continues to fire on all cylinders, including the fundamentals of using your computer.
  • Reply 57 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Probably a self-reminder to behave himself for the span of certain articles. Also this article has NDA stuff so he doesn't want risk his real name.

Oh, so he's revealing information he shouldn't be? Remind you of Gizmodo, anybody? He's now lost all of the little credibility he had to begin with.
  • Reply 58 of 127
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Those of you who started on Apple (pre- or post-Mac), especially those who didn't come over from Win and haven't used it much, likely think your interface is more intuitive and less quirk-ridden than it really is in some small ways, especially when you're trying to attract the rest of the world to join you.

Some of this may go back not only to OS 9 but even to the Apple II. Or somewhere.

As a previous/current Win user and proud owner of an old iBook (to be replaced when Lion comes out), I'm betting the "Klingon symbols" for the CMD, Option, Control and Shift keys - which aren't on the keys, except for CMD, and which there's no simple way to type ON a Mac (that I ever found) - i.e., the ones used in the menus to indicate short cuts - are still there in Lion. After all, the base has been using 'em for a long time.

However, they're totally non-intuitive for new (and even many long-time) users - whereas Windows' file menu short-cuts are totally clear first pass through. Does this go back to OS9 or to the A-II? Whatever, "intuitive" it's not!! (I'll blush if this has changed already, but whatever....)

Because at least two symbols look like nothing else I know in language or icons, have no pronunciation, etc., I still haven't fully memorized 'em after all this time.... ...I mean, I got the infinity/cloverleaf and Shift didn't take long - but when those other common ones come up I still don't know if it's Option or Control, tho' I guess my hands kinda do.

And on my keycaps, I still don't know what the little "alt" above "option" means (you'd think it involved the fn key on a notebook), nor why there's an extra little enter key to the right of the space bar and how it's different than the return key, nor what the little "enter" on the return key means (another fn-key like thing or in both cases just telling Win users what it's equivalent to?).

Also it was two years before someone taught me I could delete forward instead of only to the left by invoking fn-Delete! Which had always frustrated the hell out of me. Much prefer the separate delete and backspace keys 90+% of the world uses. Not to mention Apple going it alone on calling backspacing deleting. I'm guessing this convention was another bone to the base when Apple decided to ditch the past and go with the NeXtStep code.

And on Tiger and my apps at least, there's a lot of inconsistency on what the Nav/cursor key combos do when paired with the controller keys (CMD, etc.) between apps. Windows seems much more consistent on this, e.g., getting to the end of a line or a doc or to the beginnings of same.

Apple faced major decisions moving to OS X. I believe they'd have gained market share at a slightly incrementally faster rate had they adopted the rest of the world's keyboard conventions at that time (keeping Command, but adopting the more common use of Ctrl and Alt for Option and Control - again something else Win switchers have to UN-learn as well as RE-learn), as they still would've kept their base (after a round of hissy fits) AND made life easier for switchers.

Even if they'd moved the window buttons to the right side - another place I have muscle memory issues moving back and forth between Macs and Win PCs - the true belivers (who were about all who were left) would've gotten used to it and switching would be that much simpler today.

But this is probably academic as this historical legacy is likely set in stone (and I don't mean Rosetta) until we evolve away from these interface elements altogether over time.
  • Reply 59 of 127
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:

Yes, but I'm not here posting under two separate accounts. Yet the author is using two different "real" names, for some idiotic reason.

But you did register an account in January and the vast majority of your 83 posts are critiques on the authors rather than discussion of the topics.

Makes people wonder who you are..
  • Reply 60 of 127
    I've ben using Macs since System 6. When System 7 came out, it was a big leap. Likewise when we moved from OS 9 to OS X. This reminds me of just such a leap. For some, it'll take a while to wrap the brain around it. I'm certain that others will create utilities to reproduce the "old days." That's progress for you.