Sources reveal Apple's new-look interface for Mac OS X Lion's Finder, Mail, and other apps

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 140
    Ah how cute, your contacts now appear in a window that looks like an address book. Like how iBooks are in a bookshelf.

The dumbing down of OS X continues at a furious pace I see...
  • Reply 122 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I'm calling the new Parental Controls the dark horse "killer app."

How could that be a "killer app"? It is exactly the same as the current parental controls, except it has the new style tabs...
  • Reply 123 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I thought the same. My first reaction was "how can three tabs be selected at once?", until I released they've done the reverse of what's logical and made the selected tab raised.

Seems like they're not "tabs" anymore, but more like a sliding switch - wherever you drag it to in the "groove" becomes the selected item. (Will have to see this in motion to know if this is correct, or if I'm just talking out my ass?)
  • Reply 124 of 140
    UI improvements are always welcome. that said, however, what i really like about Mac OS X, is shell access.
  • Reply 125 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Oddly enough, going into Appearance shows there isn't even a Graphite color setting anymore. The drop-down list is still there, though, implying it will come back. Maybe they just didn't get around to fixing all the grayscale widgets yet?

Thanks for the update. Since the drop down for overall appearance is still there I agree it sounds as if they just haven't gotten around to adding the 'grayscale' option. Seems like an odd option to have though when the basic look of the OS is basically grayscale to begin with.

Maybe grayscale will be default and we'll have to choose 'color.' <crossing my fingers.>
  • Reply 126 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

iPad style mail? Try Outlook style mail, only with a lot less features. Good try.

You missing the big feature though. Yes the new features are already in outlook, and yes after a decade of tweaking the interface they've ended up with the same layout as outlooks had the entire time. But this in in grayscale! Evidently apples photocopier can't do colour.
  • Reply 127 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

...there is no way in hell I would ever go back to this clunker,

"Clunker" is right on so many levels. Do remember the machines that created punched cards, that particular noise the punch itself made? IBM tried to copy that noise when it came out with the old workstations so operators that made the transition from punch cards to more modern terminals felt more comfortable. Sort of how Ford (electronically) amps up the mild muffler noise made on its later model Mustangs so that these cars give off that macho noise. (Trouble with that is, it ain't macho if you have an auto transmission!)

I so agree with you about the latest Apple soft-touch keyboards. They make it easy on those of us with Underwood-itis (or Royal-itis as the case may be).
  • Reply 128 of 140
    I'm loving the new, flatter renderings of all the elements, and quite frankly all the redesigns Apple is implementing are the ones I would be pushing myself. Only thing I'm surprised by is reversing the Two-Finger Scroll to match Direct-to-Screen-MultiTouch. I'll have to try that out, but I can probably get used to it. It makes a lot more sense with Inertial Scrolling than it would have with digital scrolling.

Overall, I can't wait to get my hands on my own copy of Lion. It looks fantastic.
  • Reply 129 of 140
    I think the traffic lights should have gotten bigger, not smaller. A really weird decision on Apple's part.
  • Reply 130 of 140
    Had a chance to play with Lion earlier today. Here's what I consider big news that hasn't been reported elsewhere:

If you move your cursor to any of the four edges of a window, it will turn into a doubled-ended arrow, allowing you to adjust the width or height from any edge. Hovering over any of the four corners lets you adjust either/both the height and width relative to that corner.

Woo-hoo! Finally!

Surprisingly Safari with 1Password keeps crashing but Camino is stable.

I hated the gray icons as they clash with the colors used in other applications as well as app icons themselves.
  • Reply 131 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Had a chance to play with Lion earlier today. Here's what I consider big news that hasn't been reported elsewhere:

If you move your cursor to any of the four edges of a window, it will turn into a doubled-ended arrow, allowing you to adjust the width or height from any edge. Hovering over any of the four corners lets you adjust either/both the height and width relative to that corner.

Woo-hoo! Finally!

Surprisingly Safari with 1Password keeps crashing but Camino is stable.

I hated the gray icons as they clash with the colors used in other applications as well as app icons themselves.

1) AI?s featured article from Friday does showcase the features you mention, but it surely hasn?t been reported much.

2) I was going to update to Lion tomorrow but I may now hold off until I get a confirmation that 1Password is working.under Safari.
  • Reply 132 of 140
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Thanks for the update. Since the drop down for overall appearance is still there I agree it sounds as if they just haven't gotten around to adding the 'grayscale' option. Seems like an odd option to have though when the basic look of the OS is basically grayscale to begin with.

Maybe grayscale will be default and we'll have to choose 'color.' <crossing my fingers.>

Since Graphite is little more than just replacing some widgets with others, it's probably something they'll just throw into the last major build before the GM. Assuming it uses the exact same code base as Blue but just with different icons, it's probably easier simply to make changes/fixes to one appearance setting then just copy the changes to Graphite and enable it at the eleventh hour.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Momus View Post

I think the traffic lights should have gotten bigger, not smaller. A really weird decision on Apple's part.

I don't. I actually like the small traffic lights. And people actually click on them? I was under the impression most people used either the menu bar or keyboard shortcuts. It takes me so much longer to click on the red traffic light than to press either Cmd+W or Cmd+Q.
  • Reply 133 of 140
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    These screenshots remind me of the UNO tweaked interface in 10.3/10.4.

One feature I'd like to see, which is long overdue, is when in column view, columns automatically expand to accommodate the longest file name.
  • Reply 134 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Not big on having AddressBook look like a book. Some things are limiting when they look like their real-world counterparts.

[/IMG]

Ya, I cant say that I'm a big fan if the address book either. It just seemed antiquated, almost Microsoft Bob-ish, and seems to counter the nice slick look you expect when using a Mac.
  • Reply 135 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

I'm loving the new, flatter renderings of all the elements, and quite frankly all the redesigns Apple is implementing are the ones I would be pushing myself. Only thing I'm surprised by is reversing the Two-Finger Scroll to match Direct-to-Screen-MultiTouch. I'll have to try that out, but I can probably get used to it. It makes a lot more sense with Inertial Scrolling than it would have with digital scrolling.

Overall, I can't wait to get my hands on my own copy of Lion. It looks fantastic.

The reverse of that scroll took me a bit by surprise. Though it does feel natural, it took my brain a few uses to realize it was now reversed.
  • Reply 136 of 140
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    A feature I'd like to see resurrected from its NeXTSTEP grave is detachable submenus
  • Reply 137 of 140
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

These screenshots remind me of the UNO tweaked interface in 10.3/10.4.

I was thinking that too. It seemed like an obvious design move because the most timeless designs are ones that don't polarise people. Brushed metal wasn't sedated enough a design for that. I suspect removing the colours is for this reason too but I think some of the colour helps as long as it's not too vivid.
  • Reply 138 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

A feature I'd like to see resurrected from its NeXTSTEP grave is detachable submenus

I'd like to see NeXTSTEP ressurected period!
  • Reply 139 of 140
    I love all of the thoughtful new features and animations in Lion, but what gives with draining the color out of all the apps? Bland grayscale everywhere. Depressing to look at. I could use a monochrome monitor. Just add some color to the icons and sidebars in Finder, Mail, iTunes etc. Color adds distinction and the differentiation adds ease of use.

Please don't tell me it is to expose my "content" more. The app itself to be pleasing.