Apple may surprise with near immediate availability of iPad 2 next week

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
While media reports have shed considerable doubt on Apple's capacity to facilitate a full-scale launch of its second-generation iPad in the short term, AppleInsider has reason to believe that customers could be holding the new tablet device in their hands shortly after next Wednesday's press event.

According to people familiar with the matter, Apple is preparing several of its operating segments to perform functions during the second half of next week that are representative of nothing short of a large scale, consumer-oriented product roll out (not just an announcement). And with official invitations to next Wednesday's press briefing clearly indicating a focus on iPad, these people believe at least one version of the refreshed device will be in transit to retail outlets during that briefing.

It should be noted that while nothing is definitive till Apple issues a statement, these same people have consistently provided accurate information regarding Apple's future product plans and the timing related to those plans. At the same time, their predictions arrive in stark contrast to a variety of reports over the past few weeks that have insinuated Apple would for some reason choose preview a new iPad at the top of the month but be unable to ship it till the end of the month, the following month or sometime thereafter.

In less than a year, the iPad has rapidly grown from what was once thought to be a niche product into an asset that's on the verge of generating 20% of Apple's business on a quarter-to-quarter basis. Of the $26.74 billion in revenue the Cupertino-based company reported for its first fiscal quarter of 2011, $4.61 billion was attributed to the iPad, of which $4.4 billion was from the sale of the device itself. Therefore, teasing new iPads that wouldn't ship for 4 weeks or more would undoubtedly bring sales of existing models to a halt and possibly cost the company billions.

It should also be noted that the logistics of the WiFi iPad are similar to that of an iPod, rather than an iPhone or 3G iPad. Those two products have, and are likely to continue to be pre-announced, as Apple requires the cooperation of its carrier partners to usher those devices to market; partners that it doesn't trust to keep a tight lid on proprietary information and are therefore sometimes made aware of the company's precise plans in-line with the general public. To the contrary, the roll-out of a WiFi-only device is contingent on only Apple itself.

As it stands, Apple is expected to introduce the second-generation iPad in three variants and several different capacities. In addition to WiFi and GSM-based models targeted at AT&T and a broad range of European 3G providers, a CDMA version catering to Verizon and some Far Eastern providers is also reportedly in the cards. These models are reportedly code-named K93, K94, and K5, and carry initial build volumes of 1.9 million, 2.3 million and 0.8 million, respectively.

Aesthetically, the second-gen iPads are said to be somewhat slimmer and lighter, sporting a redesigned speaker grill and re-located SIM slot. They're also expected to feature 30-35% thinner display panels from LG and Samsung with "anti-reflection" technology to deliver a better experience in bright sunlight. As AppleInsider reported last month, they aren't expected to include SD Card slots or Retina-quality displays, the latter of which is now targeted at a successive revision to the tablet.

Under the hood, the new iPads are believed to employ a so-called Apple A5 chip based around a Cortex-A9 dual core processor. This chip is said to deliver a better balance between computing power and power consumption than existing models. Similarly, the new models are also expected to pack ultrafast, dual core SGX543 graphics on the order of two to three times faster than the chip in the current iPad, a faster memory (1,066 MHz) clock, and a doubling of on-board RAM to 512MB.

Of course, they'll also run iOS 4.3 and feature a forward-facing FaceTime camera for video conferencing, which Apple is expected to heavily leverage in its marketing campaigns surrounding the device. For more on expectations for the new iPad, please see AppleInsider's iPad 2 information archive or the in-house reports of interest, below:

Source: SD Card slot on Apple's next-gen iPad just a rumor

Over 60% of Apple's first-wave iPad 2 production to be 3G models

Apple to pack ultrafast, dual core SGX543 graphics into iPad 2, iPhone 5

Report details iPad 2 components, 5 million unit supply

Apple confirms March 2 media event to introduce iPad 2

Apple to move aggressively on FaceTime, camera-equipped iPads

Comments

• Reply 1 of 124
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    So close to the new MBPs, it would be a shock. Then again, I guess 95% of the general public have no idea the new laptops came out, so... I take it back.

Bring 'em on!
  • Reply 2 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Why SD card slot been crossed out in favour of SIM card when a SIM card isn’t usually something you switch out (though I have considered a China case maker will create a cut out for it), but not the mDP port in favour of Thunderbolt or something else.

While I don’t think that a Thunderbolt/mDP port interface will appear on the iPad I can’t see Apple moving forward with a mDP port interface that doesn’t include Thunderbolt connectivity. Personally, I’m more inclined to think it’s a much better quality and better placed microphone before I think it’s an mDP port interface, but that’s just a weighing of the options I’ve been given up to this point.
  • Reply 3 of 124
    If Apple was going to ship an iPad 2 as early as next week, it would make sense that in the weeks leading up to its availability, it would behoove them to encourage (generate?) disinformation to indicate late iPad 2 availability, i.e. weeks or even months away, to avoid a rapid drop off in sales of the original iPad.
  • Reply 4 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

So close to the new MBPs, it would be a shock. Then again, I guess 95% of the general public have no idea the new laptops came out, so... I take it back.

Bring 'em on!

I don?t see the proximity to the MBP release being an issue (after all we did get the announcement of the March 2nd iPad 2 event before the new MBPs went on sale), but I think it?s unlikely to announce and ship so quickly such a popular product without a leak of the actual HW details before the keynote as there would literally have to be millions made and shipped (unless ?availability? refers to buying online and having it sent directly from Foxconn in China).
  • Reply 5 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While I don?t think that a Thunderbolt/mDP port interface will appear on the iPad I can?t see Apple moving forward with a mDP port interface that doesn?t include Thunderbolt connectivity. Personally, I?m more inclined to think it?s a much better quality and better placed microphone before I think it?s an mDP port interface, but that?s just a weighing of the options I?ve been given up to this point.

Apple's 30-pin connector is more or less hitting its limit (e.g., no digital audio/video output). It's possible that Apple maybe looking at Thunderbolt to replace it. Faster syncing, ability to output audio/video to monitors and TVs (via HDMI adapter)... why not?

As for the microphone, it doesn't need a big opening.

With Verizon (and soon AT&T) offering WiFi hotspot capability with iPhone, I am hoping WiFi iPad 2 will gain GPS.
  • Reply 6 of 124
    "According to people familiar with the matter..."

What passes for journalism these days is like an adolescent clique, only pompous and without the promise of unwrinkled people having sex.
  • Reply 7 of 124
    If I see that pink iPad case photo in one more AI article, I think I'm gonna puke.
  • Reply 8 of 124
    "What passes for journalism these days is like an adolescent clique, only pompous and without the promise of unwrinkled people having sex."

Fabulously funny and accurate.
  • Reply 9 of 124
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Surprise! Your toy is ready early.

I don't know why they didn't change their name from Apple Computer Inc to Apple Toy Co, Inc.
  • Reply 10 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't know why they didn't change their name from Apple Computer Inc to Apple Toy Co, Inc.

Dare I ask?
  • Reply 11 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Ooh la la.

We have a snob in our midst!
  • Reply 12 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Apple's 30-pin connector is more or less hitting its limit (e.g., no digital audio/video output). It's possible that Apple maybe looking at Thunderbolt to replace it. Faster syncing, ability to output audio/video to monitors and TVs (via HDMI adapter)... why not?

With Verizon (and soon AT&T) offering WiFi hotspot capability with iPhone, I am hoping WiFi iPad 2 will gain GPS.

IPad 3. Not before.
  • Reply 13 of 124
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It (Apples iPad2) almost has to with an Cortex A9 derived SoC. Otherwise Apples investment in PA Semi and Intrisity won't be paying off. Not that I've ever thought that the designing of your own SoC is easy or even makes sense in this market.

Hopefully the performance jump is as big as was seem in the MBP. Actually a bigger jump would be better.
  • Reply 14 of 124
    Quote:

It also doesn?t have to be placed in the center, but I just don?t see a mDP port at the butt end from the 30-pin connector.

How about an IR sensor? It would be a pretty cool way to control your TV/DVR.
  • Reply 15 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why SD card slot been crossed out in favour of SIM card when a SIM card isn?t usually something you switch out (though I have considered a China case maker will create a cut out for it), but not the mDP port in favour of Thunderbolt or something else.

While I don?t think that a Thunderbolt/mDP port interface will appear on the iPad I can?t see Apple moving forward with a mDP port interface that doesn?t include Thunderbolt connectivity. Personally, I?m more inclined to think it?s a much better quality and better placed microphone before I think it?s an mDP port interface, but that?s just a weighing of the options I?ve been given up to this point.

Hey Sol,

Welcome back... Good to see ya'.

Some of us are hoping that iPad 2 Thunderbolt will be the defining characheristic --- along with the dually-dually-dually.

Sent from my iPad 1.4.3 beta 3
  • Reply 16 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

"According to people familiar with the matter..."

What passes for journalism these days is like an adolescent clique, only pompous and without the promise of unwrinkled people having sex.

We wrinlkers remember having... Ah, er... What were we discussing?
  • Reply 17 of 124
    I'm not saying it wont happen, but the "reasoning" in this article as to why they mighht do this is just plain stupid. The supposed "lost sales" due to pre-announcing is vastly over-emphasised for starters. it reads like some crazy conspiracy theory.
  • Reply 18 of 124
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Dare I ask?

best not to feed the trolls.
  • Reply 19 of 124
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Dare I ask?

Grown ups create things, they don't spend all day consuming content and playing games. Since the iPad is primarily designed for the later, it is not for adults and therefore a toy.

Certainly at the big family get-together at Christmas, while the kids/teenagers were glued to their Touches and iPads, with the exception of one woman, all the other adults had laptops and BlackBerries.
  • Reply 20 of 124
    Quote:

I think you're making a classic mistake here in thinking that because *you* really want feature x, that of course everyone wants feature x.

The idea of attaching a wire to your mobile device so you can send signals over it to your TV set is just not something that the majority of folks care about. Of those that do, most are happier with the wireless option already provided. You're just thinking "old fashioned" here.

Just yesterday I had to work an event where people were presenting media with their iPads and there were no airplay devices available. We had to use (shudder), wires and it was awful. You have a four inch dongle stuck to the bottom with a 15 foot VGA cable doing it's best to drag the dongle out of the 30 pin port. Then you need an audio plug jacked in the top that connects through a similar length of audio cable using an adapter at the projector end. You need both hands to hold the iPad, and have to keep the cables bunched up in the other hand to ensure they don't slip out.

It's almost impossible to do any kind of walking presentation and the iPads ended up being taped to an old podium just to keep it manageable at all. As soon as there is an alternative, (and guess what there already is), wires are history.