Apple's introduces 15-, 17-in. MacBook Pros with quad-core i7 CPUs, AMD GPUs

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

That's funny. It's like saying I want that BMW without the CD drive, and the response is 'Then get a Honda'.

I want the pro level machine with more battery life and no ODD. Not sure why that desire threatens folks so much.

its really not that hard to remove the back cover of your mac, carefully unscrew a couple screws and take out the OD drive and throw in whatever the hell you want in there. seriously, its almost as easy as opening up a tower and replacing hardware.
  • Reply 162 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

WOW, what a joke -- STILL NO BLU-RAY options!!!

i guess you dont follow apple news closely enough.

steve jobs did send out an email implying that there is no way apple will EVER get blu ray. type in google "steve jobs no blu ray" (its even a suggested search by google) and you'll see the articles.
  • Reply 163 of 180
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    The new MBP benchmarks are out at macworld. HD3000 is SLOWER than the old 320M, so if you play games don't touch the models with no AMD GPU.

In fact the current core2duo MB Air is 2 times faster than the new 13' i7 MBP when playing games...
  • Reply 164 of 180
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    The new MBP benchmarks are out at macworld. HD3000 is SLOWER than the old 320M, so if you play games don't touch the models with no AMD GPU.

In fact the current MB Air is 2 times faster than the new 13' i7 MBP when playing games...
  • Reply 165 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

In fact the current MB Air is 2 times faster than the new 13' i7 MBP when playing games...

Edit your posts instead of reposting them, please.
  • Reply 166 of 180
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    mitchelljd

I dont think that apple has your consumer in mind. Apple is about an integrated solution not specific technologies. For all purposes replace your MBP with a vaio and see how that goes. Really if you want to go extreme build your own machine its cheaper and no one is telling you what to do. or aftermarket SSD's etc. Its apple choice to decide what technologies they want or do not want and your choice to buy or not. Apple is producing some of the most balanced computers for years. This is a great upgrade.
  • Reply 167 of 180
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeph View Post

Geekbench result for the 15" 2.0 GHz: 8838

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/361065

wow faster than my 2008 mac pro quad core....
  • Reply 168 of 180
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celco View Post

wow faster than my 2008 mac pro quad core....

Well there's always a new one you can get :

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/290926

This is almost to be expected, the new portable PSP/NGP is nearly as fast as a PS3 and the PS3 is just over 4 years old.

Right now, the 12-core Mac Pro is 3x what the current quad MBP is - still impressive considering the clock speeds are lower in the MBP - but in 3 years, the MBP will match the 12-core MP.

The MP will go 16-core by the end of this year. Year after year, I suspect people will migrate away from the towers to the laptops or iMacs once they hit the desired performance bar.

That 15" i7 with the 6750 is a very nice machine indeed. I'd buy that spec in a Mini for £999 ($1299) except just the 2GHz CPU, even though it won't save much vs the 2.2GHz one.
  • Reply 169 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Well there's always a new one you can get :

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/290926

This is almost to be expected, the new portable PSP/NGP is nearly as fast as a PS3 and the PS3 is just over 4 years old.

Right now, the 12-core Mac Pro is 3x what the current quad MBP is - still impressive considering the clock speeds are lower in the MBP - but in 3 years, the MBP will match the 12-core MP.

The MP will go 16-core by the end of this year. Year after year, I suspect people will migrate away from the towers to the laptops or iMacs once they hit the desired performance bar.

That 15" i7 with the 6750 is a very nice machine indeed. I'd buy that spec in a Mini for £999 ($1299) except just the 2GHz CPU, even though it won't save much vs the 2.2GHz one.

thats all i needed to hear from marvin. his words give me the green light to click the buy button on apple's website. thank god im still under student education discount.
  • Reply 170 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

Thunderbolt at a time when USB 3 is gaining way more devices...

Why not Both? apple is too cheap to pay patents and parts on both.

Why not Blu-Ray? Apple is too cheap to pay patents and cost on it. let alone support it in OS, letting consumers install it for full proper use.

Apple has record profits, but it limits functionality for consumers choice. Won't let consumers pay for options they want. in case of BD, to protect the itunes movie rentals/sales.

Thunderbolt seems ok, but SSD is an option others offer also.

I am thinking of replacing my MBP with a VAIO.

I'm totally agree with you... sometimes I do not understand apple's philosophy... they do not want to put blu ray because of 720p movies on iTunes, so why would you need it...? that's sucks...

I would like also USB 3.0 ports, Fire Wire 1600 and cheaper SSD's...

If I pay a lot of money for an "awesome" machine I deserve to pick up something proportional....

and not just be a global market's victim...
  • Reply 171 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ramst View Post

they do not want to put blu ray because of OS-level DRM, ruined battery life, and the uselessness of optical media.

Fixed.

Quote:

I would like also USB 3.0 ports, Fire Wire 1600

USB is dead. FireWire is dead. There's zero reason for either of them anymore.

Quote:

cheaper SSD's...

Never buy hard drives from Apple. Cheaper SSDs already exist.

Quote:

If I pay a lot of money for an "awesome" machine I deserve to pick up something proportional...

So buy from someone else you deem "worth" the money.
  • Reply 172 of 180
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

USB is dead. FireWire is dead. There's zero reason for either of them anymore.

Except that TB only supports up to 6 devices. It's like SCSI all over again.

It's a pity Firewire 3200 which was announced in 2007 didn't get the push that TB did. Oh well :-\\

and oh yes, USB sucks. It's slower than SATA 3
  • Reply 173 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

The battery life just took a 1-2 hour hit. It now says 7 hours instead of 8-9.

I'm really considering a refurb of the previous model. The savings is huge! Anything will rock compared to my 1.83 CD MBP!

Without changes to the Battery, earlier the Macbook was showing a life of 10 hours and now it is 7 hours. Is it because of the change in the testing method? If so, the current MBP should also be up to 10 hours with the old testing method.
  • Reply 174 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strobe View Post

So have a MagSafe, five Thunderbolt, and audio in/out. Solved.
  • Reply 175 of 180
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

It's a pity Firewire 3200 which was announced in 2007 didn't get the push that TB did. Oh well :-\\

and oh yes, USB sucks. It's slower than SATA 3

SATA doesn't chain last I've checked, so six devices with Thunderbolt is an improvement, and it helps explain why Apple didn't include an eSATA port in their higher end machines. With the Promise array, it looks like you can have up to 36 hard drives, 6 drives x 6 devices.

I don't think USB is out the window, it's still useful for human interface devices, something that Thunderbolt probably isn't intended to handle. It looks like it's possible to have e a USB hub with a Thunderbolt backhaul, so there are interesting prospects, we'll have to see how this shakes out.
  • Reply 176 of 180
    Quote:

So have a MagSafe, five Thunderbolt, and audio in/out. Solved.

Unfortunately, due to the requirement that TB ports carry BOTH protocols, this isn't possible. You need a GPU per TB port.
  • Reply 177 of 180
    Quote:

Unfortunately, due to the requirement that TB ports carry BOTH protocols, this isn't possible. You need a GPU per TB port.

So? What does that have to do with anything? Disallow access to more than one (two?) Thunderbolt for video simultaneously. There's also nothing stopping a (third-party) Thunderbolt port being data-only.
  • Reply 178 of 180
    Quote:

So? What does that have to do with anything? Disallow access to more than one (two?) Thunderbolt for video simultaneously. There's also nothing stopping a (third-party) Thunderbolt port being data-only.

Except it won't be spec.

I'd love to be disproven otherwise, but Intel made it CLEAR that it requires both protocols and that is the only reason why you won't see expresscard to TB adapters like you can now buy for USB or SATA. Intel explicitly said TB ports would need to be built-in.

Without this requirement, you could make an expresscard pr PCI-E to TB adapter because it's the same protocol.

Welcome to Steve's garden of stupidity.
  • Reply 179 of 180
    Quote:

Except it won't be spec.

Oh, no, of course not. But I certainly hope that doesn't stop people from making data-only PCIe Thunderbolt cards available.

Because I refuse to buy a new Mac Pro just for a stupid awesome future port. It's nonsense, particularly when I already have a graphics card through which my displays will be connected.

Quote:

Welcome to Steve's garden of stupidity.

I'm not so sure it's Steve's doing this time. Imagine if certain USB ports could only be used for hard drives while others could be used for any peripheral. That's kind of what Intel wants to prevent here, and I see their point, just not why it would matter for a tower computer that will be using off-motherboard graphics anyway.

OH, NO. Future Mac Pros with Thunderbolt being forced to have onboard GPUs?!

Can you IMAGINE Intel 3000 graphics on a Mac Pro? I mean, that chip would only be used to drive displays connected to the motherboard's Thunderbolt ports, but it's not such a stupid idea that Apple wouldn't do it.

Let me rephrase that, it's a completely stupid idea, but it sounds exactly like something Apple would do.
  • Reply 180 of 180
    Quote:

Oh, no, of course not. But I certainly hope that doesn't stop people from making data-only PCIe Thunderbolt cards available.

Because I refuse to buy a new Mac Pro just for a stupid awesome future port. It's nonsense, particularly when I already have a graphics card through which my displays will be connected.

Prepare to be disappointed