Inside Mac OS X Lion: New Window Controls & Gestures

Comments

• Reply 81 of 127
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

I couldn't agree more, exactly what I think. Who wants to go hovering all over the place looking for possible buttons/options, this is stupid. And removing window edges seems unnecessary.

I'm not sure I get it.

It seems pretty easy to locate any edge or corner of a window. Or am I missing something? Right now, if I want to expand my Safari window, for instance, I need to go to the bottom right corner. How is replacing one small area with the entire edge of the window, on all sides and all corners make it *more* difficult?

As to getting rid of the window edges, I think it will look much better, frankly. But that's just an aesthetic judgement that each person needs to make for himself.
  • Reply 82 of 127
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I'm very happy to see more and more UI goodness from NeXTSTEP appear in Mac OS X. I used a NeXT all through college and adapted quickly to the NeXT way. Once I did, it was very very difficult to come back to a Mac. I'd be wishing it had more of the NeXT capabilities.

I really miss Publish and Subscribe. There is a youtube video where a young Steve Jobs demoes the NeXT OS. He even makes a few jabs at the Mac OS along the way.

Tear off menus are another thing I miss a lot. Imagine not having to mouse to the top of your screen. Imagine setting up the menus and commands alongside your window just where you want them.

The NeXT (and NeXTSTEP) were so far ahead of their time. I think Apple misjudges how quickly us Macheads can adapt to something new. It's been a slow evolution, but at least we are moving in the right direction.

Here's hoping Lion will trash the trashcan. We have a spacey desktop, now we need to bring back the black hole for erasing files.

I don't remember Publish and Subscribe (similar to services?), but I do remember tear off menus.

Switching to a Mac with Mac OS X wasn't difficult at all, but I had to wait for 2005 to be able to do that.

NeXT was ahead of its time but if you look at the interface now it's really archaic.

And if I remember correctly, the reason Mac OS X was delayed so much was because of Apple users with no love at all for the new OS.

J.
  • Reply 83 of 127
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

I actually prefer the traffic lights only because of their consistent size and shape.

The least they could have done is rounded the edges and used those zoom buttons as fullscreen buttons. Having both a fullscreen button and a zoom button is confusing at the idea-level.

• Reply 84 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Very nice.

I'd think of something other than grey for the latter two, though.

The idea with the red one being the only one with color is that it's the only button that "gets rid of" the window. The others just change its shape. Red for danger and all that.
  • Reply 85 of 127
  • Reply 86 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

I love that I'm on an Apple fansite with my iPod and can't view the videos because they're in Flash.

This is pure fabrication for the sake of irking Apple fanboys. It's a YouTube video which means no flash req'd.
  • Reply 87 of 127
  • Reply 88 of 127
  • Reply 89 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. Get, like, a life?!

After you Ms Horowitz...
  • Reply 90 of 127
    I got an even better one.

• Reply 91 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LeonBlade View Post

I got an even better one.

The whole point here is the traffic lights suck.

Even this is better. Nicer. More modern, etc.

• Reply 92 of 127
    Getting back to the topic of the thread (even though the rants were somewhat amusing). I loaded Lion last night, and even grabbed my Magic Mouse, which I had abandoned a while back, just to play with and experiment with the new gestures.

So after playing with it, I am still having difficulty in determining whether the changes are good or bad. At best for the moment it just "feels" different. Natural? Some of the gestures do feel natural. Others... not so much.

As far as one of the previous comments about the random stuff flying around the screen and not knowing why. Well, even as experienced as I am, and not knowing all the new gestures, I had that experience last night. And it took several trys and searches to determine what I was doing to cause it. Turned out to be just how sensitive the touch surface on the mouse is and a lazy ring finger that sometimes drags across the mouse at the same time I am touching the surface to click. It was amusing.

At this point though, I think I will continue to reserve my judgement as this was just a Preview Build, and as summer approches, some things will be fixed, some changed, and some dropped all together, as is the nature of software development and the whole purpose of Preview and Development builds.

They are supposed to create discussion, to weed out the good and the bad, to make the good, better. And hopefully remove the bad.

Paul
  • Reply 93 of 127
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paullittrell View Post

Getting back to the topic of the thread (even though the rants were somewhat amusing). I loaded Lion last night, and even grabbed my Magic Mouse, which I had abandoned a while back, just to play with and experiment with the new gestures.

So after playing with it, I am still having difficulty in determining whether the changes are good or bad. At best for the moment it just "feels" different. Natural? Some of the gestures do feel natural. Others... not so much.

As far as one of the previous comments about the random stuff flying around the screen and not knowing why. Well, even as experienced as I am, and not knowing all the new gestures, I had that experience last night. And it took several trys and searches to determine what I was doing to cause it. Turned out to be just how sensitive the touch surface on the mouse is and a lazy ring finger that sometimes drags across the mouse at the same time I am touching the surface to click. It was amusing.

At this point though, I think I will continue to reserve my judgement as this was just a Preview Build, and as summer approches, some things will be fixed, some changed, and some dropped all together, as is the nature of software development and the whole purpose of Preview and Development builds.

They are supposed to create discussion, to weed out the good and the bad, to make the good, better. And hopefully remove the bad.

Paul

Thank you for the update.

I have a Magic Mouse, but how do you feel a trackpad would work with Lion, as opposed to the MM?
  • Reply 94 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Because journalism matters. Trust matters. You can disagree with Gruber all you want, but you never see him changing his name.

Sez the guy appearing anonymously on a forum using *one* of his pseudonyms.

Geez, get a life indeed. More time is spent on the threads with you guys putting in all your personal digs at Daniel, than is spent on the article itself. And all you're doing is giving him hits anyway. If you hate the guy as much as you seem to. Don't f*cking read the articles! Go somewhere else or go bully someone else. There's a whole wide internet out there.

As to the actual article:

Isn't any one else bothered by the fact that none of those gestures are available to regular desktop users who don't buy one of the new desktop trackpads? This is actually the first time I can remember that Apple has introduced a whole slew of features that don't actually work on their default hardware setup.

If your mobile and have a laptop they seem wonderful, but if you buy an iMac or a MacPro, you get the magic mouse which is incapable of doing pretty much any of these gestures. Perhaps it means they are dropping the mouse and going to ship a trackpad by default? Seems odd to me.
  • Reply 95 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The whole point here is the traffic lights suck.

Even this is better. Nicer. More modern, etc.

You have a problem.
  • Reply 96 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

You have a problem.

You are not making sense.
  • Reply 97 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Sez the guy appearing anonymously on a forum using *one* of his pseudonyms.

I am not a journalist. Guys, a lot of you here don't seem to get it.

If you expect to be taken seriously as a journalist, you should use your name. As least if you do write under a pseudonyms, stick to it. Don't change your name depending on the particular story because you are afraid of Apple. Or you don't want any criticism about said story to be directed at you - the real you. Either that or simply don't post stuff within NDA as a news story.
  • Reply 98 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

...and XWindows, Gnome, KDE, Solaris, Irix, BeOS, and pretty much everything OTHER than Mac OS.

Definitely written under a nom de plume. Who else would make significant mention of something so ancient and common?

All those OS environments including XWindows showing that behavior came after NeXTStep. NeXT was showing that behavior off in 1986.

XWindows showed that behavior in 1987, a year later.
  • Reply 99 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I hate all that monochromatic (or embossed) garbage on the interface, i am very excited about lion for a lot of things, but the interface is not one, I hope there are hacks to return back to aqua.

I remember the early days when a lot of people complained about Aqua and created hacks to use the platinum Mac OS 9 theme.
  • Reply 100 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Thank you for the update.

I have a Magic Mouse, but how do you feel a trackpad would work with Lion, as opposed to the MM?

Honestly I couldn't comment on a trackpad, as I do not have one. I am however thinking of purchasing one to play with as I think some of the gestures that have been created have been geared more torwards that piece of hardware.