Apple exposing Mac OS X Lion to security experts for review

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Let's remember they all got hacked by the same person every year, who targets only the Macs, has his hack planned in detail which only works after lowering security twice

Yeah, like after giving him root access!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

In my 7 years of using Macs, I've never had a security issue (that I'm aware of).

Same here. Except i've been using Macs since 1984.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Dai Zovi also mused, "Will Lion be the 'Vista' of Mac OS X? In the sense that they start taking security seriously, not the sense that nobody wants to use it."

Oh pleeeeeeze! Using Windoze analogies for Macs is bass-ackward, upside down, and depraved. It's like comparing a 1930’s VW Beetle to a 2011 Ferrari.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

Yeah, like after giving him root access!

Same here. Except i've been using Macs since 1984.

Oh pleeeeeeze! Using Windoze analogies for Macs is bass-ackward, upside down, and depraved. It's like comparing a 1930?s VW Beetle to a 2011 Ferrari.

Why, is using "Windoze analogies" going to burst your little iBubble? It's not the analogy I would have used but I understand what they meant by it.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:

The report cited Miller, who has demonstrated cracks in Apple's software, as saying, "It's not hiring us to do pen-tests of it, but at least it's not total isolation anymore, and at least security crosses their mind now."

Dai Zovi also mused, "Will Lion be the 'Vista' of Mac OS X? In the sense that they start taking security seriously, not the sense that nobody wants to use it."

It is quite stretching it to say that Apple only now starts taking security seriously or that it crosses their mind, just because they themselves are invited to have a go at the system.

These people act as if they are full of self-importance. Apple knows it is a good idea to get these into the act early, but given these kind of personalities, they must be doing it while pinching their nose shut.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:

Um... right... don't let that 30% market share hit you on your way out of ignorance, Dai. OS X is a fundamentally better design thanks to its kernel and layered scoping.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Where are all of these viruses that were supposed to be targeting/infecting Macs ?

I have never come across one, have you ?

Surely now that Macs have 10% plus of the market share in the US, you would think someone NOW would try and infect them. Remember the old argument, not enough market share so nobody bothers.

Comparing OSX to that steaming pile of SHIT called vista or any other windoze is the ultimate insult.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Daniel we would really appreciate a follow up on this story! As many people have pointed out, as Macs are getting more and more popular and their market share grows finally Mac OSX will reach the point of viruses / malware interest.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    There is no "Daniel" in this thread. ^This appears to be a mechanically-copied post from elsewhere on the forum by a SPAMmer in order to run-up his post count. Please do not respond.