Mac OS X Lion adds new iOS-like About this Mac app

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
After converted Mac OS X's Apple Menu to link to the new Mac App Store market rather than just linking to its "Mac OS X Software" web page, Apple has now turned its attention to the pedestrian "About This Mac," providing easy access to system details.

The command now launches a simple new app titled System Information, which provides an Overview panel linking to both Software Updates and a hardware System Report (which launches the existing System Profiler for more detailed information).

A Displays panel details the current video interface and settings, providing a link to the Display panel in System Preferences.

The Storage panel provides an iTunes-like overview of how disk space is being used by each attached volume and partition, providing a link to Disk Utility.

Memory and Battery panels detail the status of installed RAM and batteries, linking to an external website of "memory upgrade instructions" and the Energy Saver panel of System Preferences.

The new app also provides links to Support information, including a Mac OS X user manual and link to Apple's OS support pages, as well as a hardware user manual, specifications, and hardware support pages.

Finally, a Service panel provides links to AppleCare for checking warranty coverage status and other options for service and repair, along with a link selling an extended AppleCare agreement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    so its just a flashier front end?
  • Reply 2 of 38
    I'm impressed and would not make fun of this.

This is the attention to detail that sets Apple above the rest. And I mean way above the rest!

There's only one way to do things and that's the right way.

Best
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hyperpunx View Post

Not exactly. The old System Profiler to get more information about the system is a bit intimidating to users. It's something only a technician or a tech-savvy user would be comfortable in. This app definitely wraps it up in a nice GUI, but it also is more approachable and plus, it has the AppleCare warranty upsell built-in
  • Reply 4 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Good idea, but I think they could simplify this up even more.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    I'm liking all the UI tweaks (scroll bars, window resizing, etc) but really care a LOT more about the actual OS changes (versions, ASLR, resume, etc).

Could we please get more reporting on the actual OS features? Any signs of a new file system burried in there? Any apps using versions or resume? How well does file vault work qnd does it work with Time Machine and Time Machine Server? A video of air drop working would be great....
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Cool stuff. It recognizes that I have an SSD and all my RAM slots are filled (16GB total).

• Reply 7 of 38
    Does this only recognize programs from the Mac App Store and everything else goes into "Other"? I can't think of why else the "app" section is 0 bytes.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I love shit like this. Getting basic system info from friends/family, etc will be that much easier, in order to give advice. Yeah it's a flashier front end, but its also much more user-friendly. Love that Apple is putting attention to things like this.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    I'd LOVE to see a button that allowed you to send the profile information as an email. Put it on the first panel and all admins would need to do on the phone is say "Go to About this Mac, and click on the send email button".
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Does this only recognize programs from the Mac App Store and everything else goes into "Other"? I can't think of why else the "app" section is 0 bytes.

A User's documents would easily fit into other, and since there isn't a "System" section, I suppose that could go in there as well.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hyperpunx View Post

You've obviously never had to deal with this aspect of OS-X much at all. This has been needed for many years and it's nice that they finally got to it.

In the old style you had access to just a dribble of information that wasn't very helpful and then had to click a second button to start a second program that was reasonably difficult to read (nothing as bad as Windows Device Manager, but still awkward). For those of us that have to service Macs regularly, this is in fact a big deal and will be a great time saver.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

I'd LOVE to see a button that allowed you to send the profile information as an email. Put it on the first panel and all admins would need to do on the phone is say "Go to About this Mac, and click on the send email button".

Brilliant!
  • Reply 13 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I like this but I wish they would change Movies to Videos. In Finder they have a Music folder but list it as Audio because there because there are many different types of audio. The same logic would apply to movies if we consider the term movies has taken on a specific definition beyond the original term to refer to pictures that move.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

I'm liking all the UI tweaks (scroll bars, window resizing, etc) but really care a LOT more about the actual OS changes (versions, ASLR, resume, etc).

Could we please get more reporting on the actual OS features? Any signs of a new file system burried in there? Any apps using versions or resume? How well does file vault work qnd does it work with Time Machine and Time Machine Server? A video of air drop working would be great....

No sign of new FS. Apps have to be updated to work with Versions and Resume (it's working in TextEdit.) 9to5Mac has a video of AirDrop up, if it hasn't been removed by Apple yet...
  • Reply 15 of 38
    I was excited about ZFS, but I'm thinking that if the file system does everything Apple wants it to do I'm don't see any compelling reason to replace it unless there is something really good to replace it with which actually adds value to end users.

I have never had problems with corruption of performance because of HFS+ (Journaled). It might not be technically perfect, but it is good enough for now.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    When I would set up computers for family or clients, under a single bookmark, I'd place macupdate.com, apple support forums and other helpful sites to aid in future troubleshooting.

It's a huge relief to see Apple finally put these links in and make it easier for those that help others set up and maintain their computers.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

It's probably because this is a clean install. Apps that are installed as part of the system might not be included in the "app" category.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I like this but I wish they would change Movies to Videos. In Finder they have a Music folder but list it as Audio because there because there are many different types of audio. The same logic would apply to movies if we consider the term movies has taken on a specific definition beyond the original term to refer to pictures that move.

"Movies" is more generic than "Films" or "Videos", so I think they are right to keep "Movies". It is still open to debate, however.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Movies" is more generic than "Films" or "Videos", so I think they are right to keep "Movies". It is still open to debate, however.

Maybe it’s a cultural difference. I see Video as being the most generic, than Movies, TV Shows, Home Movies which I think are all equal in the tier below Videos.

For example, both Blockbuster and Netflix list renting Movies & TV Shows. Netflix also lists for the XBOX 360, “How can I instantly watch right on my TV? […] Simply click on Netflix in the Video Marketplace.” while Blockbuster refers (referred) to itself as "Blockbuster Video”, not "Blockbuster Movie.”

Finally, we call the computer games we play and the HW that allows us to play them “Video cards” not “Movie cards."
  • Reply 20 of 38
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Tremendous idea!