Inside Mac OS X Lion: New Spotlight and Quick View features

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In Mac OS X Lion Apple has integrated Spotlight search features with Quick View for previewing results, allowing users to see documents and metadata inline while performing a search.

Quick View popovers in Spotlight, Stacks

The new Spotlight-integrated Quick View is reminiscent of Google's search results previews; simply mouse over results and previews (or additional information, for items that can't be previewed) are displayed as a popover.

Popovers are a relatively new user interface convention Apple began using in Snow Leopard's iCal to associate and tie information that would normally be presented in a floating panel window with a specific item on the screen.

Apple has also made significant use of popovers in the iOS interface, particularly on iPad where presenting or setting information about an item in a popover makes the new 'cartoon speech bubble' concept a perfect fit for the simplified computing experience of the hands-on iOS, without necessitating any additional user interface chrome to close, adjust, or manage the specialized new windows.

In Lion, popovers now provide a Quick View of Spotlight search results, including documents, web pages, contacts, emails and media files, and can also expand word definitions via Dictionary or present metadata for apps, preference files, and other items that offer nothing to preview.

Quick View popovers are also visible from within Stacks, allowing users to target items with the mouse or arrow keys, and then hit the spacebar to present a preview or more information about the item.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    I somehow dislike those huge icons in the Spotlight menu. I would've found it logical to keep the smaller size since it's now ridiculously easy to take a closer look at any of the items in the menu. Maybe that will change as development progresses, maybe not.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Glad to see spotlight get some love. Its my favorite way to launch applications or documents, and get to just about anything on my Mac
  • Reply 3 of 32
    I loved them. Don't mind the size at all.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    YAY!!! I've been wanting Quick Look (or View, I guess) in Stacks since before I got Leopard.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Can you please choose a more neutral desktop image for these screen grabs before Apple sends you a C&D letter?

That ultra saturated pink/purple backdrop is the worst image imaginable behind the Apple UI.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Why would anyone have DivX player/converter installed?
  • Reply 7 of 32
    My personal fav is still the "Leopard Aurora" wallpaper from 10.5. It's sleek, modern, but also understated. Has bright and dark in all the right spots.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

My personal fav is still the "Leopard Aurora" wallpaper from 10.5. It's sleek, modern, but also understated. Has bright and dark in all the right spots.

I?ve been using a 1px x 1px black (#000000) image for my backgrounds for as long as I?ve been able to change my desktop background. Not a fan of something I don?t want to look at distracting me from being productive.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I?ve been using a 1px x 1px black (#000000) image for my backgrounds for as long as I?ve been able to change my desktop background. Not a fan of something I don?t want to look at distracting me from being productive.

Couldn't you just go into the Solid Colors folder and use black?
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Couldn't you just go into the Solid Colors folder and use black?

In other OSes, sure, but in Mac OS X they?ve only had a handful of solid colors to choose from without the option for the color palette. Oddly, if you choose not to fill the screen with the image you get the color palette.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The enhanced Spotlight looks very nice. I guess Quick Look as a feature makes more sense during search than in the Finder. Because in the Finder you're usually navigating to something you already know what it is and where it is, so unlikely you'd want to preview it. Whereas with search of course previewing things is a lot more logical.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Why would anyone have DivX player/converter installed?

Possibly for AppleTV compatibility. Wouldn't want to watch a feature length movie on my computer screen...
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Possibly for AppleTV compatibility. Wouldn't want to watch a feature length movie on my computer screen...

Can you explain that?
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CraigAppleW View Post

Can you please choose a more neutral desktop image for these screen grabs before Apple sends you a C&D letter?

That ultra saturated pink/purple backdrop is the worst image imaginable behind the Apple UI.

Absolutely right! It's unfitting!
  • Reply 15 of 32
    If you're gonna have Launchpad then why have Stacks? It's redundant! All it does is add yet another conflicting interface element and adds more bloat to an already hugely bloated OS!
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

All it does is add yet another conflicting interface element and adds more bloat to an already hugely bloated OS!

Explain, please.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    I just hope they've fixed the freaking Exposé back to the style it had before Snow Leopard, with all windows sharing the same zoom level and being arranged in a way that best fit the screen. I HATE the evenly-spaced grid-view.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I just hope they've fixed the freaking Exposé back to the style it had before Snow Leopard, with all windows sharing the same zoom level and being arranged in a way that best fit the screen. I HATE the evenly-spaced grid-view.

From what I have learned on the Interwebs Expose is gone - replaced by Mission Control. And Mission Control shows not only windows but windows, full-screen apps, and multiple desktops - basically everything.

And even though it is kind of a grid overall, it is different to Snow Leopard in that app windows are grouped together. And each group has the app icon on it. But no it doesn't go back to the effect of zooming out while maintaining relative sizes.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

From what I have learned on the Interwebs Expose is gone - replaced by Mission Control. And Mission Control shows not only windows but windows, full-screen apps, and multiple desktops - basically everything.

Actually, Expose can be re-activated in system preferences (as can overlay dashboard), thankfully.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Actually, Expose can be re-activated in system preferences (as can overlay dashboard), thankfully.

Overlay dashbord, yes, but I can't find where you can enable the old Exposé All Windows (not that I need it since I like the new Exposé All Windows much better).