Looking to get a TV Tuner

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark01234 View Post

A TV tuner allows one to receive signals on one’s television, and thus receive different channels. It converts signals into pictures and sounds. The oldest type of TV tuner was simply the dial type used in order to change channels. Sometimes in order to get certain cable channels or digital cable, one needs a special box purchased or borrowed from a cable company.

This simple type of TV tuner is available in most TVs, or through most cable companies. However, many now refer to the TV tuner card, or exterior TV tuner that allows one to receive television programming on a computer screen. Essentially, the TV tuner can convert a computer to a television, and depending upon cable service, may allow one to watch a wide number of television stations.

Many use a TV tuner to watch free television on their computer without using a cable service. Some countries broadcast programs for free. As well, some stations broadcast without encrypting information. So for example, a TV tuner might allow one to catch up on Irish television or watch American TV.

This is a bit abstract and might confuse some people.

For ajay, the guy asking the most recent question, a TV tuner will only be usable on a few channels delivered from Comcast. Only the local channels will be watchable using any tuner connected directly to his macintosh. This is true for nearly every cable system in the united states. It isn't just the expensive channels like HBO that are encrypted and can't be tuned with a normal tuner. Nearly all stations are encrypted... except for some local broadcast channel aso delivered via the cable system.

However, if connected to an antenna in Pittsburgh, he will be able to get:

KDKA (CBS)

WTAE (ABC)

THIS-TV

WPXI (NBC)

RTV (Retro TV Network)

WQED (PBS) (3 channels)

WPCW (The CW)

WPMY (My Pittsburgh TV)

Cool TV (Music videos)

WPGH (Fox)

Country TV (Music Videos)

WBGN (Independent)

Univeral Sports

Plus some religious and advertising

[edit: If you're able to use an attic or rooftop antenna, that's the best free solution. Here's a good source of info on Pittsburgh over-the-air reception: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...188135&page=88]

As for processing lag. I think the poster was referring to using the tuner as an auxilary input for a game consol or perhaps a seperate cable box. If using the tuner as a tuner, there is no lag. The experience of EyeTV exceeds that of most cable boxes. The interface is responsive, well designed and good looking. It includes all the functionality found on the most advanced cables boxes. (except for the ability to decode encrypted QAM).
  • Reply 22 of 24
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

This is a bit abstract and might confuse some people.

Yes, because it's copy and paste spam!
  • Reply 23 of 24
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Yes, because it's copy and paste spam!

Thanks kinda what I figured from the rest of his posts too!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

The hardware is fine.

The softeware (eyeTV) is fine.

The processing lag was annoying for me, but bearable.

It's just not the same experience as a dedicated TV and cable/DirecTV DVR setup though.

I agree that the Elgato seems kind of a compromise when compared to a full fledged cable-box + DVR setup, but at this point, I am looking for one! I guess the best way to do it is to just buy one of the Elgatos & give it a spin for a week or so - amazon has a decent return policy for malfunctioning / buggy products so I'm covered!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

As for processing lag. I think the poster was referring to using the tuner as an auxilary input for a game consol or perhaps a seperate cable box. If using the tuner as a tuner, there is no lag. The experience of EyeTV exceeds that of most cable boxes. The interface is responsive, well designed and good looking. It includes all the functionality found on the most advanced cables boxes. (except for the ability to decode encrypted QAM).

I don't have a cable box so the Elgato would be doing the tuning - so, as per your reasoning, I don't think there'd be too much lag.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajay View Post

I agree that the Elgato seems kind of a compromise when compared to a full fledged cable-box + DVR setup, but at this point, I am looking for one! I guess the best way to do it is to just buy one of the Elgatos & give it a spin for a week or so - amazon has a decent return policy for malfunctioning / buggy products so I'm covered!

I don't have a cable box so the Elgato would be doing the tuning - so, as per your reasoning, I don't think there'd be too much lag.

More precisely, it isn't that Elgato is a compromise. Instead, ALL tuners are simply incapable of decoding encrypted QAM channels. That requires more than just a tuner. Currently, Windows media center is the best way to handle encrypted channels. With some additional hardware and a CableCARD rented from the cable company, it is possible to get those encrypted channels directly onto the computer. I don't think this is possible on a Mac right now.

It seems that you read some bad reports on Elgato products and have it stuck in your head that Elgato is somehow less reliable than other options. This is simply not the case. As with any electronics company, there will be good and bad experiences.

On top of that, Elgato doesn't even manufacture their own hardware. So those other brands that are being compared to... are likely the exact same hardware. There really aren't that many options that have ever been manufactured. For instance the EyeTV Hybrid is the exact same product as one of the Hauppauge tuners. I forget the model number though. All Elgato does is put a different plastic case around it. Or perhaps the same OEM that does the hauppauge plastic also does the elgato plastic.

As for lag. There is no TV tuning lag on elgato products. None. No really. The HDhomerun I use is the most instantaneous tuning I've seen anywhere. No normal TV or cable box comes close. The same was true of the Hybrid that I used to use. I switched to the HDHomerun so that the same tuner could be used by any computer in the house.

Edit:

To clarify the lag issue. The EyeTV Hybrid comes with an auxiliary composite input. Some people would like to use that input for gaming. However there is lag on that auxilary input because it is doing analog to digital conversion. This makes it unusable for most gaming purposes. When using it just as a tuner, there is no lag.