Production issues with new thin display could limit Apple's initial iPad 2 supply

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    He's probably waiting for his income tax refund.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Where is that DaHarder guy to claim that Apple leak this info to increase demand they already can't meet while also claiming it won't sell worth shit while talking out the other side of his mouth about he's already pre-ordered an iPad 2 for all the people in his neighborhood?
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

I see your point.

Thanks for that! Now on with the show...
  • Reply 24 of 40
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

I see your point.

Maybe I shouldn't have treated him like a hopeless case. Here's to hoping he brings a bit more in house thinking to his brain pan as opposed to buying lock stock and barrel into anything the internet serves him.

Apparently you don't see anyone's point at all. I can't believe you would criticize and ridicule a poster for bringing up a perfectly valid point - namely, he was concerned that the thinness would lead to breakage. This is a very on-point comment, considering that no one at Apple bothered to tell folks that the iPhone 4 would break quite easily due to the elegant glass facing, which could very well cause folks concern, considering the sizeable investment in the iPad2.

Perhaps he didn't mean "scared" but rather "concerned". You should be "concerned" enough to leave your insensitive comments out of the discussion.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Initial supplies limited, me thinks not. Apple has denied all reports of production issues. In any case I am already busting out my wallet to get one.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    This is a site that features tons of articles centered around rumor and unconfirmed and often near-hypothetical information. It seems silly to criticize someone else just because they haven't reacted to one of those rumors with complete incredulity and skepticism. If everyone simply reacted to these articles with a resounding "horseshit!" then it really wouldn't reflect too well on the fun of all of this rumor and speculation -- and such people probably wouldn't be visiting a site like this too often at all anyway.

I was going somewhere with this. Something about "don't be a mindless bully on the internet," but I'm having some trouble transitioning from the previous paragraph to just that...

...maybe I just did it.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Apparently you don't see anyone's point at all. I can't believe you would criticize and ridicule a poster for bringing up a perfectly valid point - namely, he was concerned that the thinness would lead to breakage. This is a very on-point comment, considering that no one at Apple bothered to tell folks that the iPhone 4 would break quite easily due to the elegant glass facing, which could very well cause foks concern, considering the sizeable investment in the iPad2.

Perhaps he didn't mean "scared" but rather "concerned". You should be "concerned" enough to leave your insensitive comments out of the discussion.

No, you provide an example for the point of the ridicule.

The internet headline reads "iPhone 4 82% more damaged screens than the iPhone 3GS". Wow, that's terrible and you might think that iPhone 4s are breaking right and left.

The reality is that out of a sample size of 20,000 iphone owners 3.9% of iPhone 4s suffered broken glass vs 2.1% of iPhone 3GS owners. Read the actual study and look at the data yourself.

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/iphone4-glass-study

This does not indicate to a potential customer that "the iPhone 4 would break quite easily" unless you believe every internet headline you read. That is being gullible and will subject you to ridicule...

And if you are paranoid, particularly clumsy or like throwing your iPhone against the wall (4 min mark) for kicks then get this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0XJtbYaEbM

Gee...despite doing stuff you'd never do to a phone and even think it should survive they managed to avoid becoming part of that 3.9% of iPhone 4 owners with broken glass.

This one doesn't look as rugged but it is slim and beach proof. It probably does a decent job at keeping you out of that 3.9% bracket for normal type drops.

http://www.mobilemag.com/2011/02/25/...ec-ruggedness/

I have no idea why anyone would be "scared" or "concerned" that Apple is dumb enough to build a product that will "break easily" regardless of how thin they make the glass. Get AppleCare and a case if you are "concerned" over your "investment". Better yet, divorce yourself from the concept that buying any electronics is an "investment".
  • Reply 28 of 40
    It's not true that Apple always has limited supply of new products. Typically, this is true of first generation new products, but not subsequent generations. Otherwise, we would not see sustained sales growth. This is such simple logic that it is strange that an analyst cannot understand it.

Goldman Sachs should go "Shopping" for a new analyst to replace Mr. Shope.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

Apple always has a limited supply with next gen. products.

Not true. There were lots of iPhone 4 last summer but the demand outstripped supply. The year before, there were plenty of iP3GS but again demand outstripped supply. Likewise, there were lots of new iPod nanos last fall.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Apparently......

(removed apologetic gullibility)

......Perhaps he didn't mean "scared" but rather "concerned". You should be "concerned" enough to leave your insensitive comments out of the discussion.

You are like the guy who actually tries to buy the products in all that spam going around....

I wonder when collective human consciousness will finally get over the hump and stop being manipulated as a large and currently 100% reliable gullible population out in the internet audience. Articles based on, not only speculation, but speculation that doesn't even make sense when compared to reality still somehow affect people who seem to buy anything. It's like hearing about people who still fall for sending money to "royals" in foreign countries.

I'm just saying.. it's about as entertaining as charlie sheen is right now
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Not true. There were lots of iPhone 4 last summer but the demand outstripped supply. The year before, there were plenty of iP3GS but again demand outstripped supply. Likewise, there were lots of new iPod nanos last fall.

Apple has repeatedly admitted to limited supply in their quarterly earnings calls with analysts. When demand exceeds supply, that's the definition of "limited," whether it means twenty-two or 8.5 million.

"Lots" of iPhones can still mean limited supply, which is why Apple staggers their rollout to international markets over a period of many months.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    insult removed
  • Reply 33 of 40
    This is to drive the masses in. If they said they have millions of them then the stock wouldn't skyrocket as fast. You have to believe that you are getting something that others cannot have in order for you to get up and get one as fast as possible. It's just good business to report these things.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Initial supplies limited, me thinks not. Apple has denied all reports of production issues. In any case I am already busting out my wallet to get one.

I'm sure you have readily at hand a SINGLE example of Apple responding in ANY way to any of the iPad 2 rumors, since you say they've denied all sorts of reports about it. Let's see it?
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Apple has repeatedly admitted to limited supply in their quarterly earnings calls with analysts. When demand exceeds supply, that's the definition of "limited," whether it means twenty-two or 8.5 million.

"Lots" of iPhones can still mean limited supply, which is why Apple staggers their rollout to international markets over a period of many months.

Ok, I understand the source of your ignorance. No problem - i can help.

There is a difference between ongoing limited supply and limited supply at launch. The former implies, as I mentioned, demand is greater than supply. The latter means that not many are made due to production problems or due to underestimate of demand.

Got it? Glad I could help.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

I guess the normal procedure now is to report a problem or last minute change with an about to be released product. Apple always has a limited supply with next gen. products.

Yeah, there will only be 8 million. not 10.

As for the rest. IF there were issues of any seriousness, Apple would have fixed them before announcing the product. So given that they are comfy with the reveal, whatever issues there might have been are likely cleared up. And either they have more than enough to release now or they will when the big day comes in a couple of weeks/month
  • Reply 37 of 40
    If there was a 'production issue' Apple would not be holding an event on Wed. So it's safe to conclude that the rumor holds no credibility. Also we never see Goldman Sachs mentioned in any of these 'rumors', so someone found a new avenue.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Ok, I understand the source of your ignorance. No problem - i can help.

There is a difference between ongoing limited supply and limited supply at launch. The former implies, as I mentioned, demand is greater than supply. The latter means that not many are made due to production problems or due to underestimate of demand.

Got it? Glad I could help.

You didn't help because you still don't get it.

The iPad has not rolled out to all possible international markets. They don't have enough supply. Apple has been manipulating worldwide iPad distribution because they don't have enough product.

You really need to learn something about consumer electronics manufacturing and distribution. I'm glad I can help.

Apple will proceed with releasing new product, regardless of its supply constraints because they need to address the competition and cannot stop innovating. They can't take two years to fulfill demand with the same old product if they want to stay competitive. There will be ongoing limited supply of the iPad for several years. That is an aftereffect of being an innovative player in a nascent market. That's why Apple can price their products the way they do and walk away with the lion's share of the industry profits.

Apple's cellphone marketshare is something like 4% and yet they are walking away with nearly half of the industry's profits. They can charge a lot of money because they are creating a desirable product whose demand exceeds supply.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I was kind of wondering about that myself as I read the article. But I've not heard of big issues with iPad glass breaking. iPhone glass yes, but not iPad. So they may feel they have some margin to work with to make the glass itself a little thinner. In addition to making the entire display component thinner as they did in the iPhone.

I was talking to a shop assistant (around 22 years old I guess) and brought out my 2 1/2 year old iPod touch to show him something. As I was talking he just interjected "How much was your replacement screen?" I stopped, confused. "What?" "How much was your replacement screen?". I replied that I had not replaced my screen. Flummoxed, he then asked "Do you keep it in a case then?" No, I replied. "Well, how come it's not broken then?" he demanded. "Err, probably because I look after it" I answered.

It really made me wonder. Not only are people replacing things because they are last month's technology, but perhaps because they expect to replace them in a couple of months they treat them like disposable items and so end up with broken screens.

My iPod touch has a very slight scratch on the screen and is otherwise like new (it has landed screen side down twice when accidentally dropped on the ground!). The back is very scratched of course from resting on surfaces. Similarly, my iPad screen which I received on the 26th of May last year is still flawless after being used pretty much every single day.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    scottxescottxe Posts: 1member
    Can you provide detail how I can watch the live coverage of the event. Thanks!