Apple's iPad 2 unveiling viewed as 'crucial' to stay ahead of competition

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
With over a hundred tablets expected to come to market this year looking to take on the iPad, Apple's unveiling of its second-generation tablet on Wednesday will be a critical moment for the company, one analyst believes.

Brian White with Ticonderoga Securities said in a note to investors on Tuesday that he believe's Apple's iPad 2 event, to be held on Wednesday, is a "crucial product launch." In particular, he said, analysts will look to see how well Apple handles the debut of its second-generation iPad with Chief Executive Steve Jobs on a medical leave of absence.

"We estimate there are well over one hundred tablets coming to market around the world this year," White said. "Assuming a new iPad is unveiled at this event, we believe Apple must make a convincing case for why the iPad 2 is better than the plethora of competitors coming to market, while at the same time persuading iPad 1 buyers to upgrade to iPad 2."

With 15 million iPads sold in calendar year 2010, the new device has become a very important product for Apple. White noted that the iPad and related products and services generated $4.61 billion in sales in the first quarter of Apple's fiscal 2011, amounting to 17.2 percent of the company's revenue.

The analyst has given a "conservative" estimate of 27.36 million iPad sales in fiscal 2011, generating $16.92 billion.

"In fact, we estimate that iPad sales will contribute nearly one-third of Apple's $36.8 billion in incremental revenue that we are modeling in (fiscal year 2011)," he wrote. "If we exclude iPad revenue from Apple's (fiscal year 2010) results and our FY11 model, our revenue growth rate projection for Apple would be 41% in FY11 versus our current projection of 56%."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 143
    hatunikehatunike Posts: 34member
    in other 'news'....it's important that I breathe....
  • Reply 2 of 143
    As long as the obvious/rumored hardware updates make it to the new device, Apple should be fine.

But we know very little of iOS5 for iPad, which in my opinion, is where the biggest update is needed. Something to really differentiate it from that "big iPod touch" stigma that still plagues many people's minds.
  • Reply 3 of 143
    You can't be serious! I thought keeping a product stagnant was a better strategy.
  • Reply 4 of 143
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    99 others for non-Apple types to fight over? 'Nuff said.

Yes, the iPad's growth will slow, but this is 'omg, the sky is falling' hyperventilation.
  • Reply 5 of 143
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    I have felt like we have had a shortage of iPad news, thanks for filling the gap..
  • Reply 6 of 143
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

99 others for non-Apple types to fight over? 'Nuff said.

Yes, the iPad's growth will slow, but this is 'omg, the sky is falling' hyperventilation.

To be fair, he's right in what he says. It's just that it's stating the obvious but it's his job to analyse, even when the analysis is easy. He didn't ask to be quoted in our bear pit lol
  • Reply 7 of 143
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    I'd be curious to see a list of all these competitors. Then another list 6 or 12 months from now, which I presume will be much shorter. Realistically, fewer than a dozen tablets have any shot at shipping more than 50,000 units.
  • Reply 8 of 143
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Incredible, how do you get such a negative and threatening tone to describe such a positive event.

Wait. I know, you must be an 'analyst'.

Brilliant analysis by the way, he should work for Apple.

J.
  • Reply 9 of 143
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    Surely the burden of proof is on the iPad competitors to demonstrate that THEY are better, not the other way around.
  • Reply 10 of 143
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    Unless Apple takes the restrictions off developers, there's going to be a lot of love for Android tablets, just like there is for Android phones. Apple will probably own more than half the market for quite a while, but the market is no longer cornered. Which is a good thing for all customers.

Regarding tomorrow's announcement, I have a funny feeling they may pull a Mac Mini on us, and up the floor price by $100. Expecially now that they realize their competition can't match their price/performance ratio. But really, what's $100? I spent more than that on dinner with the family last Saturday without batting an eye. Spending that much more on a device I'd use daily for over a year? No big deal.
  • Reply 11 of 143
    If the product better meets the consumers' needs, they'll keep buying it until someone else significantly improves the end-user experience (and that ain't gonna happen any time soon while the competitors are still playing catch-up and catering to the tech community's niche need for specs over functionality).

Have the hundreds of new "smartphones" released since 2007 kill the iPhone? Or have they simply served to confuse the public at large when it comes to identifying a viable competitor?
  • Reply 12 of 143
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    this is a crucial moment but they will do fine without steve because...

they will do a live facetime chat with steve!
  • Reply 13 of 143
    hatunikehatunike Posts: 34member
    According to another, different "analyst" Steve Tuberworm, the ipad 2 isn't very important to Apple, and they probably don't care much if they release even a half-assed product. Also, it's not that important for their consumers, stockholders, etc. "At least thats how I see it" said Steve.

Steve currently isn't a breathing life form, nor is he employed as an analyist, nor do any of his readers believe his analysis is worth reading. But we thought we'd share this report anyways.
  • Reply 14 of 143
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Considering that the iPad 1 is better than most of the "plethora" of products coming out this year, I think they could put a sticker on that one that said 2 and be fine. Apple has nothing to worry about here.
  • Reply 15 of 143
    rcoleman1rcoleman1 Posts: 153member
    Apple isn't worried...and for good reason. They've built a vast application library and devices that sync to it flawlessly. It's not the hardware, it's the apps man!
  • Reply 16 of 143
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hatunike View Post

in other 'news'....it's important that I breathe....

Thank's for reminding me! Uhhh!!:
  • Reply 17 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post

Surely the burden of proof is on the iPad competitors to demonstrate that THEY are better, not the other way around.

Given peoples' fickle attitudes, I can easily imagine the word "disappointing" being readied for the iPad 2's debut: "The screen resolution is the same, and that's disappointing unlike the XOOM." Or, "It only has double the RAM of the first iPad, while other tablet offerings are 1GB. That's disappointing."
  • Reply 18 of 143
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Unless Apple takes the restrictions off developers, there's going to be a lot of love for Android tablets, just like there is for Android phones. Apple will probably own more than half the market for quite a while, but the market is no longer cornered. Which is a good thing for all customers.

Regarding tomorrow's announcement, I have a funny feeling they may pull a Mac Mini on us, and up the floor price by $100. Expecially now that they realize their competition can't match their price/performance ratio. But really, what's $100? I spent more than that on dinner with the family last Saturday without batting an eye. Spending that much more on a device I'd use daily for over a year? No big deal.

I am actually rooting for some android tablet success. Not because I want to switch to android or anything, and I don't have ill-will toward Apple shareholders... I just don't want Apple to be the only game in town. I miss the days when Apple had a niche following. Back then seeing a PowerBook in a coffee shop was rare. Not everyone was jumping on the bandwagon. Now, everyone I know has an iPhone or MacBook Pro. I like the success in some ways because it vindicates us long-time users as knowing what we are talking about. But I don't want Apple to get lazy or spread themselves too thin. I need them to continue innovating as if they still have something to prove.
  • Reply 19 of 143
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    And the competition is?
  • Reply 20 of 143
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    The real story is when will those plethora of tablets start sell for $50.00 at 7-1?. Cause that's what is going to happen. Can someone say black Friday door buster!

Anyway most of the tablets getting ready to drop are owned by investors with nary a technical skill. They just have money. They hook up with folks that do all the sh** like design and marketing and engineering. They get their crap tossed onto the market and wait for the fish to bite.

And look at the Xoom for instance. There are two mutually exclusive cultures in that tabilet. One is Moto's ready to ride the gravy train a** and then there is Google. They didn't set off to make a great tablet experience for the public. So if you want to talk about fragmentation then look no further than all these effing Android tablets ready/ already for the market.