NPD: Expanded distribution of iPad 2 could be Apple's key to success

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    I was searching about this as well. Would like see more thoughts about this issue from you guys.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    They should sell the iPad at Victoria's Secret stores.

• Reply 23 of 50
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

"such as Kohl's or Bed Bath and Beyond"

And just how would such a store market and position the iPad in their stores. Last time I checked, BB&B doesn't have an electronics department. Not sure if Kohl's does. I know, maybe the iPad can be put on display with the electronic photo frames!

More distributation channels would be great, but I think the ones this analyst suggests would relegate the iPad to "commodity" status. No way Apple does that.

"or Apple is the first one to shoot off a canon in a tablet price war"

I almost laughed out loud when I read this. First, the iPad is already lower priced than the competition. And second, has Apple ever participated in a price war? Much less actually start one?

Exactly. I think Mr Baker was desperate to fill his blog quota this week. Bed, Bath & Beyond? LOL.

"Let me pick up some sheets, and a trash can, and oh yeah - an iPad!"

Next, Apple can sell iPads at the counter at 7-Eleven. Hanging up next to the breath mints. Pick one up when you stop in for a Slurpee.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Spot on.

Move along, folks..... it's just analysts running rampant.

I 'third' the motion. Analyst's diarrhea of the mouth.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    brookstbrookst Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by captbilly View Post

I am not sure what you mean by "kicking ass". In the past year Apple has gone from the #2 most prolific smartphone in the world to #4.

Funny, I haven't seen a single smartphone made by "Android." All I see are Motorola, HTC, Samsung, etc. And yet you say this Android makes more phones than any of them? Because I know Apple outsells those three, at least.

Quote:

Apple presently has about 3-4% of the PC market,

More factually challenged data. See http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/13/...u-s-pc-market/

Quote:

The only market in which they are still doing well is the, only one year old, tablet market, in which they have existed with essentially zero competition until a few days ago (Xoom).

Other than the PC market, where they've doubled their market share in four years, you mean, right?

And the reason they've "existed" in the tablet market without competition is because they created the market. It's not like there was a market sitting there with no products and Apple lucked out.

Quote:

In the coming months Apple will lose more market share in smartphones, lose most of their market share in tablets, lose more and more Ipod users (since any smartphone today does everything that the Ipod does), and lose a substantial portion of the laptop market. I would hardly call that kicking ass.

You do realize that market share is meaningless, right? Companies and shareholders care about profits. Apple could have a 100% market share in phones if they gave iPhones away for free, or paid users to use them. It wouldn't be smart business, but it would meet your criteria for success, apparently.

Apple makes the lion's share of profits in smartphones ( http://www.asymco.com/2011/01/31/fou...stry-overview/ ). The same will likely be true in tablets, once competitors actually ship. Apple's margins are far higher than industry average in PC's as well, while market share grows.

For corporate performance, revenue has more than doubled in the past two years, from ~$10B/quarter to ~$25B/quarter ( http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...d-sales-2011-1 )

And you wouldn't call that kicking ass?
  • Reply 26 of 50
    jjmfejjmfe Posts: 7member
    I predict (tomorrow will tell) that Apple will follow its traditional formula for holding the line on an already good price point, and will just offer more machine for the price. It may be that they upgrade the gigs of storage on their new bottom end machine, and provide the newer, faster more feature rich machine at the same price points.

Then they can blow out the old 1st generation stock through the Apple store as "refurbs." at their 12-20% discount. It's a good formula. Everybody gets a deal, and they don't pollute the current retail stream with 1st gen stock.

They do this over and over and over. And it works.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

I am not sure what you mean by "kicking ass". In the past year Apple has gone from the #2 most prolific smartphone in the world to #4. In that same year Android phones have gone from almost non-existent to number one. Apple presently has about 3-4% of the PC market, and a large but rapidly dwindling market in media players. The only market in which they are still doing well is the, only one year old, tablet market, in which they have existed with essentially zero competition until a few days ago (Xoom). In the coming months Apple will lose more market share in smartphones, lose most of their market share in tablets, lose more and more Ipod users (since any smartphone today does everything that the Ipod does), and lose a substantial portion of the laptop market. I would hardly call that kicking ass.

I've never seen so much stupidity in one post, amazing. Apple has been improving substantially by pretty much every single metric out there, year after year, with such ridiculous success, that it's impossible to even find a comparison with any other company in existence. Sales of their iOS devices are massive, they literally OWN the mobile app market (something like 95% of downloads), one of the most lucrative and important markets right now, they own the mp3 player market, the tablet market, and are making enormous gains with their notebooks and desktops, selling more than they ever have in their history- and this is only bound to go up as OSX/iOS become integrated and the halo effect takes place. Most importantly, they have enormous mindshare, and the best product customer satisfaction in the industry, by far. One doesn't even need to like Apple, to objectively acknowledge the above. Your arguments are specious and hilarious.

Also, I' viewed your 9 pther posts here, not a single one has anything positive to say about Apple, it's either all bitching, sarcasm, or mocking the company/products. Pretty pathetic trolling.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Although, even in its consumer focus, Apple's distribution clearly needs to expand into more regional CE outlets and test more alternative distribution opportunities like department and home stores, such as Kohl's or Bed Bath and Beyond."

No it doesn't. Only an analyst with no real clue would make a statement like that

Quote:

With tablet competition looming, Baker sees device makers competing for shelf space and an inevitable price war. If the iPad 2 launches with too high a price, Apple could potentially be undercut by a less expensive competitor at some point before the holiday buying season of 2011.

yeah cause the high price of everything else Apple has been an issue.

Fact is, folks will pay more for a name. You could take two of the exact same car, label on Toyota and one Lexus and no one will flinch at the Lexus being 3 times the price.

Quote:

For the moment, the pricing of Apple's iPad remains an advantage over its competition,

Well I think the bigger advantage is that half the rest of the competition can't seem to get anything actually to market. And what is out there sucks or is priced too high or tied to contracts no one wants to get into.

And it is likely to stay that way for a while. Apple could probably raise their prices and still outsell everyone else. Or even just drop the wifi only models (maybe keep the bottom one for the kiddies etc and drop the other two) and outsell the rest. Not only because it is a good tablet but because it is Apple. And Apple is for the cool kids.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

That's what's stunning about this idea. Apple believes they have created a highly sophisticated computer whose operation is so self-evident that it requires no more hand-holding or indoctrination than - a bath towel.

No, Apple does not believe that. They are not the ones that said such things. This is some yahoo analyst that knows nothing making statements about things he shouldn't.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Next, Apple can sell iPads at the counter at 7-Eleven. Hanging up next to the breath mints. Pick one up when you stop in for a Slurpee.

They'd be behind the counter, between the smokes and condoms.

Seriously, short of selling door-to-door, how many more outlets does Apple really need? People who want iPads know where to get them.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

They should sell the iPad at Victoria's Secret stores.

Now there's a thought. Just think of the demo videos they could load onto the store display models.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    brookstbrookst Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Seriously, short of selling door-to-door, how many more outlets does Apple really need? People who want iPads know where to get them.

The implication is that Apple should push to make them more impulse buys and to send the message that these aren't computers so much as lifestyle accessories. Sure, everyone knows where to get one if they want to go get one. The analyst, agree or not, is saying that making people run across them *everywhere* would increase sales.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    Quote:

I am not sure what you mean by "kicking ass". In the past year Apple has gone from the #2 most prolific smartphone in the world to #4. In that same year Android phones have gone from almost non-existent to number one.

I didn't realize Android sold phones, or Google. Or that they made any money off Android. You truly have some secret info.

Or...

I think you will find that Motorola, Samsung, LG, Htc and Sony sell phones and none of them sold more units than Apple in the smartphone market.

Posting your personal fantasy universe for all to see doesn't make it more real dude.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Now there's a thought. Just think of the demo videos they could load onto the store display models.

Almost enough to make a guy want to go shopping with his lady.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 513member
    quote: Expanded distribution *could be* key to success. Sure is a safe statement. Then again, maybe something else could be. Definitely probably could be.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kube View Post

Yesterday I saw the best iPad advertisement. Most of it was an iPad running an app showing features of a car (Kia, I think)..

I was going to ask for a link but then I asked Google and sure enough bam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJO8yaFmNfM

Cool ad.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kube View Post

Yesterday I saw the best iPad advertisement. Most of it was an iPad running an app showing features of a car (Kia, I think). then the narration said,

"It's not an app, it's our user guide" and showed a hand putting the iPad in the glove compartment.

(at least that's my memory).

It was Hyundai: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/02...rs-commercial/

For the snotty types, there Mercedes-Benz too: http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/05/merce...ands-globally/

That's just for starters...
  • Reply 37 of 50
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

quote: Expanded distribution *could be* key to success. Sure is a safe statement. Then again, maybe something else could be. Definitely probably could be.

• Reply 38 of 50
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Hell NO!

Apple is not that desperate. iPad does not belong in such a place. Office Depot & Office Max, may be. Not Khols or Bed & Bath.

Hello? This is a computer product. With an Apple Logo. This guy must be out of his mind. It sounds like what that shit-head did to Apple when Steve was away.

HELL NO!

I had a slight visceral reaction to this but quite frankly if I can buy an iPod Touch in a vending machine at the airport, I can buy an iPad at a homegoods store or a department store.

Let's get over the Apple snob factor - we only play into the stereotypes that all the fandroids and wintards constantly replay.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Curious how much AI got from Motorola and Verizon to have the two big, red ads for the Verizon/Motorola Xoom at the top of the main page with no rotation?
  • Reply 40 of 50
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I am not sure what you mean by "kicking ass". In the past year Apple has gone from the #2 most prolific smartphone in the world to #4. In that same year Android phones have gone from almost non-existent to number one. Apple presently has about 3-4% of the PC market, and a large but rapidly dwindling market in media players. The only market in which they are still doing well is the, only one year old, tablet market, in which they have existed with essentially zero competition until a few days ago (Xoom). In the coming months Apple will lose more market share in smartphones, lose most of their market share in tablets, lose more and more Ipod users (since any smartphone today does everything that the Ipod does), and lose a substantial portion of the laptop market. I would hardly call that kicking ass.

Oh, he probably meant kicking ass like this:

Apple is making as much profit in the smartphone market as every other vendor combined. A few Android OS licensees, notably HTC, have managed to eke out a bit of a profit on their commodity handsets, but even that is soon to be swamped out by even cheaper Chinese carrier branded phones. Android will be the OS that comes on the phone you didn't want to have to pay for.

And don't expect tablets to follow the same path-- carrier subsidies and aggressive push have moved Android handsets, but tablets have to compete on their own merits, as consumer electronics. Not that many people are going to be interested in another monthly data charge for a subsidized tablet, and we've seen that Motorola, Samsung et al are having trouble competing with Apple on a straight up retail basis.

And most everyone I know with an Android phone was just getting another phone because it was time and that's what was available. They're happy to have a browser and email. A tablet actually has to function as a computer, at which point Apple's ecosystem and deep app catalogue start to be much more attractive.