First Look: Apple's early 2011 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pros with Thunderbolt

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    I want to get the 17 but it gets to be a bit big to lug. Pus the 15 has the SD slot and that means one less cable to forget when I am on the road. On the other hand I can SEE what I am working on with the 17 and its only a $200 diff.

Quad core = killer for Apperture. I am not a fan of the integrated graphics on the the 13", but they sure made a great choice bringing 4 cores to the MBP

Is the SD slot transfer rate the same as USB? I went through 3 16 GB cards on one shoot the other day. Took forever to get those files off the camera.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    I'm considering a 13-inch MBA instead of the new MBP for school. Mainly for the size, weight, and portability. Don't really need all that power of the new MBP.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I think there needs to be a laptop design revolution. I was looking at those pictures and was thinking how old and square laptops are. The Utilitarian look may be cost effective, but it's getting boring.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

I'm considering a 13-inch MBA instead of the new MBP for school. Mainly for the size, weight, and portability. Don't really need all that power of the new MBP.

I just bought one... Best purchase I ever made..
  • Reply 25 of 64
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I'm disappointed by the displays. The 13" should have the same 1440x900 screen as the air and the 1680x1050 should be standard on the 15"
  • Reply 26 of 64
    I saw this article about the possible build quality issues. I hope they are not true!

http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/...in-2011-build/
  • Reply 27 of 64
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waytogobuddy View Post

now we just read advertisements here?

what value did this post have (other than to MacMall?)

I agree, apart from the pictures there was nothing in the article you can't find on the Apple website. And they didn't even mention the lit keyboard on the Pro, which was the reason I didn't buy the Air.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I think there needs to be a laptop design revolution. I was looking at those pictures and was thinking how old and square laptops are. The Utilitarian look may be cost effective, but it's getting boring.

Oh, yes. We need more like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Macintosh-...#ht_940wt_1141

• Reply 29 of 64
    k.c.k.c. Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I'm disappointed by the displays. The 13" should have the same 1440x900 screen as the air and the 1680x1050 should be standard on the 15"

Oh good, you're the one. There's always someone who is.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by K.C. View Post

Nah, I'm right there too. The 15" MBP resolution hasn't changed since the days of the 15" PowerBook (in fact, it actually lost some real estate to make room for the camera). It's crazy that, for the price of these laptops, Apple isn't throwing us a bone and giving us a decent screen resolution comparable with that of similarly-priced (non-Apple) laptops.

That said, Apple must know what they're doing, because I'm about to pay the extra $100 for the hi-res screen
  • Reply 31 of 64
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by K.C. View Post

He does have a point. Why does the 13 inch Pro have a lower resolution screen than the 13 inch Air? Is the reason technical or is it marketeering?
  • Reply 32 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Nah, I'm right there too. The 15" MBP resolution hasn't changed since the days of the 15" PowerBook (in fact, it actually lost some real estate to make room for the camera).

No it didn?t. It lost a little display areas when the changed the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:10, but this had nothing to do with the addition of a camera, but with changes to technology and consumer trends towards widescreen displays.

Quote:

It's crazy that, for the price of these laptops, Apple isn't throwing us a bone and giving us a decent screen resolution comparable with that of similarly-priced (non-Apple) laptops.

Resolution is only one metric for determining the price or value of a display. There are plenty of aspects and Apple is always topping the charts for the best displays. There is no reason to want a higher-resoolution display at the expense of getting some shitty panel for your money.

You can alway go with the HP EliteBook?s $500 option for an high-grade panel, but I don?t think you get some super-high resolution and I recall the tests show that they weren?t even close to the value you get from other vendors with good panels, like on Apple?s notebook save for the 11? MBA (which is a good panel but only in comparison to other notebooks with 11? displays.

Quote:

That said, Apple must know what they're doing, because I'm about to pay the extra $100 for the hi-res screen

I want a higher resolution display, too, but not until they allow for better options for the elements on the screen because the items on the display are just too small for my tastes. Lion will finally have something for that.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

No it didn?t. It lost a little display areas when the changed the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:10, but this had nothing to do with the addition of a camera, but with changes to technology and consumer trends towards widescreen displays.

My bad - I'm remembering a review of the early MBP (the machine I'm still using!) suggesting that the bezel needed to come down a few mm to make room for the camera, and that Apple was therefor eliminating a corresponding number of pixels to compensate. Perhaps this was simply speculation at the time.

Quote:

Resolution is only one metric for determining the price or value of a display. There are plenty of aspects and Apple is always topping the charts for the best displays. There is no reason to want a higher-resoolution display at the expense of getting some shitty panel for your money.

Oh I agree. This machine's display is gorgeous and blows away most other laptops I've seen. When traveling with the girlfriend, we always choose this machine for movies over her HP because this screen is so much better (and has a *much* wider viewing angle).

Quote:

You can alway go with the HP EliteBook?s $500 option for an high-grade panel, but I don?t think you get some super-high resolution and I recall the tests show that they weren?t even close to the value you get from other vendors with good panels, like on Apple?s notebook save for the 11? MBA (which is a good panel but only in comparison to other notebooks with 11? displays.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that I would jump ship because I think Apple should be including higher-resolution displays. I do everything with this machine, and I'd never change my workflow. If for some reason I found myself unable to replace this laptop with a comparable machine, I'd drop a grand on the 11" Air or 13" MacBook and live with the smaller screen.

Quote:

I want a higher resolution display, too, but not until they allow for better options for the elements on the screen because the items on the display are just too small for my tastes. Lion will finally have something for that.

I suppose that's my only concern. I'm judging my desire for a higher-resolution screen on the fact that I want more real-estate when working with Aperture, InDesign, and Final Cut Express (three apps I spend most of my time living in). I wish the Apple Store had the 15" hi-res machine on display for comparison.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Pro vs Air

The 13, 15 and 17 inch MacBook Pro models serve pretty clearly differentiated groups of users, but on the small end, potential buyers of the 13 inch model may have a tough time deciding between it and the thin, light MacBook Air of the same size or its even smaller 11 inch sibling. Both Airs deliver fast SSD drives and extended batter life, but use a slower CPU and system bus, smaller disk options and less powerful graphics, but roughly the same screen resolution.

How long do they want to extend the life of a batter?

File:Batter for pancakes.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...r_pancakes.jpg

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File File history File links Metadata Global file usage
  • Reply 35 of 64
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Oh, yes. We need more like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Macintosh-...#ht_940wt_1141

This made me LOLz.

Sure, they seem totally ghey now, but I highly coveted one at the time. I'm fairly certain they were the first laptops (Mac or PC) with a wireless option?if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone here will correct me . And they were so pretty with their gum-drop colours!
  • Reply 36 of 64
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Um. Do the new MBPs have glossy skin, or am I just seeing a protective plastic film in the photos?
  • Reply 37 of 64
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
  • Reply 38 of 64
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

The graphics card in the Macbook Airs is arguably MORE powerful than the Intel GPU built into the 13" Macbook Pro. The CPU speed is so much faster however, that the 13" Macbook Pro ends up about the same on graphics benchmarks than the 11" Macbook Air.

Why is speed so essential to all you computer users constantly? Is is gaming or video editing? Most of what we do we can do with the core 2 duo processor.What really is important is the ISP that is what counts I think.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    debusohdebusoh Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Well, the keyboard is rectangular and so is the screen. I don't know how you would make a case that isn't "square" given the shape of the things the case holds...
  • Reply 40 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Do these use SATA III?