NPD: Expanded distribution of iPad 2 could be Apple's key to success

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Now there's a thought. Just think of the demo videos they could load onto the store display models.

The Victoria's Secret iPad app is free. And yes, the videos are awesome.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

They should sell the iPad at Victoria's Secret stores.

+1 awesome idea, why can't analysts think of stuff like is. Seriously it let's guys go pick up an iPad and a little something for the wife, or vice versa.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

"such as Kohl's or Bed Bath and Beyond"

And just how would such a store market and position the iPad in their stores. Last time I checked, BB&B doesn't have an electronics department. Not sure if Kohl's does. I know, maybe the iPad can be put on display with the electronic photo frames!

More distributation channels would be great, but I think the ones this analyst suggests would relegate the iPad to "commodity" status. No way Apple does that.

"or Apple is the first one to shoot off a canon in a tablet price war"

I almost laughed out loud when I read this. First, the iPad is already lower priced than the competition. And second, has Apple ever participated in a price war? Much less actually start one?

ipad in BB&B? Right.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

There is no evidence that there will be an iPad 3 this fall though, yet there is concrete evidence that the original iPad model has been discontinued.

I'm not saying it won't happen, just that this analogy is built around the idea that iPad will be sold like the iPhone where they have two models on sale most of the time, and have "last years model" being sold at a discount. So far we have no evidence that this is going to be the case at all, and the discontinuation of production on the original model suggests the exact opposite.

Food for thought:

iPad2 released at iPad prices and the original version's price is cut.

Apple manufactured a large inventory (and/or maybe still is) of original iPads.

If iPad2 goes crazy like the original and a huge backlog occurs then original iPad goes away as all mfg goes or stays ipad2 to meet demand.

If Apple now has sufficient mfg capacity to make both, the original iPad eats the long awaited iPad killers lunch at the new lower price point.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I've never seen so much stupidity in one post, amazing. Apple has been improving substantially by pretty much every single metric out there, year after year, with such ridiculous success, that it's impossible to even find a comparison with any other company in existence. Sales of their iOS devices are massive, they literally OWN the mobile app market (something like 95% of downloads), one of the most lucrative and important markets right now, they own the mp3 player market, the tablet market, and are making enormous gains with their notebooks and desktops, selling more than they ever have in their history- and this is only bound to go up as OSX/iOS become integrated and the halo effect takes place. Most importantly, they have enormous mindshare, and the best product customer satisfaction in the industry, by far. One doesn't even need to like Apple, to objectively acknowledge the above. Your arguments are specious and hilarious.

Also, I' viewed your 9 pther posts here, not a single one has anything positive to say about Apple, it's either all bitching, sarcasm, or mocking the company/products. Pretty pathetic trolling.

I concur
  • Reply 46 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrooksT View Post

Funny, I haven't seen a single smartphone made by "Android." All I see are Motorola, HTC, Samsung, etc. And yet you say this Android makes more phones than any of them? Because I know Apple outsells those three, at least.

More factually challenged data. See http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/13/...u-s-pc-market/

Other than the PC market, where they've doubled their market share in four years, you mean, right?

And the reason they've "existed" in the tablet market without competition is because they created the market. It's not like there was a market sitting there with no products and Apple lucked out.

You do realize that market share is meaningless, right? Companies and shareholders care about profits. Apple could have a 100% market share in phones if they gave iPhones away for free, or paid users to use them. It wouldn't be smart business, but it would meet your criteria for success, apparently.

Apple makes the lion's share of profits in smartphones ( http://www.asymco.com/2011/01/31/fou...stry-overview/ ). The same will likely be true in tablets, once competitors actually ship. Apple's margins are far higher than industry average in PC's as well, while market share grows.

For corporate performance, revenue has more than doubled in the past two years, from ~$10B/quarter to ~$25B/quarter ( http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...d-sales-2011-1 )

And you wouldn't call that kicking ass?

He/she obviously has no concept of business.

Apple are brilliant, rake in the most profits, yet still selling millions of devices that wipe the other garbage of the planet.

If I was running a company, profit would be my bottom line, not whether I sold a thousand and made 1cent on each.

The fandroids ooze this market share rubbish ad nauseum.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

I was going to ask for a link but then I asked Google and sure enough bam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJO8yaFmNfM

Cool ad.

Wow, amazing ad. Thanks to you both for sharing.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Except for all those cases leaked early on, showing a new port/speaker or something, there really hasn't been many leaks about the event this morning. The Apple secrecy machine has outdone itself.

Actually I don't know why the case makers get so much notice, crappy cases could be designed in a few days. Are they just guessing? Is their friend at the Apple factory down the road in China telling them what to make?
  • Reply 49 of 50
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I've never seen so much stupidity in one post, amazing. Apple has been improving substantially by pretty much every single metric out there, year after year, with such ridiculous success, that it's impossible to even find a comparison with any other company in existence. Sales of their iOS devices are massive, they literally OWN the mobile app market (something like 95% of downloads), one of the most lucrative and important markets right now, they own the mp3 player market, the tablet market, and are making enormous gains with their notebooks and desktops, selling more than they ever have in their history- and this is only bound to go up as OSX/iOS become integrated and the halo effect takes place. Most importantly, they have enormous mindshare, and the best product customer satisfaction in the industry, by far. One doesn't even need to like Apple, to objectively acknowledge the above. Your arguments are specious and hilarious.

Also, I' viewed your 9 pther posts here, not a single one has anything positive to say about Apple, it's either all bitching, sarcasm, or mocking the company/products. Pretty pathetic trolling.

No surprise. Captbilly has made my wall of shame with a single post (blocked.) Perhaps s/he is the sock puppet responsible for many of the other 30 or so UserNames on that list (99% of whom never post again by the time I block them.)
  • Reply 50 of 50
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Except for all those cases leaked early on, showing a new port/speaker or something, there really hasn't been many leaks about the event this morning. The Apple secrecy machine has outdone itself.

Actually I don't know why the case makers get so much notice, crappy cases could be designed in a few days. Are they just guessing? Is their friend at the Apple factory down the road in China telling them what to make?

Nope. The cases and accessories, are designed in the US (or the "west") and the minimum necessary specs are shared with the designers so that quality accessories are ready on release day.

The leaks mostly come out of China at the machining and manufacturing facilities from lower level employees.