Apple expected to ship 6.5M iPads in first quarter, 40 million in 2011

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Shipments of the iPad, including the second-generation model to be announced by Apple today, are expected to be between 6 million and 6.5 million in the first quarter of 2011, on their way to 40 million for the calendar year.

The numbers from DigiTimes on Wednesday show that Apple expects to significantly ramp up production of the iPad as 2011 wears on. For the initial launch of the iPad 2, Apple is expected to have between 300,000 and 400,000 units available.

Apple reportedly ordered between 1.7 million and 2 million iPads in January and February. Order volumes for March, including the to-be-announced iPad 2, are expected to top 2 million.

Citing industry sources, the report said there were between 1 million and 1.5 million units of iPad inventory in the channel in January. It added that Apple is "already set to phase out the first-generation iPad and let iPad 2 take its place."

In a separate report, DigiTimes also reported that gallium arsenide (GaAs) power amplifer suppliers, including TriQuint Semiconductor and Skyworks Solutions, are expected to benefit from the iPad 2 launch. Visual Photonics Epitaxy Company and Advanced Wireless Semiconductor Company of Taiwan are also said to be GaAs foundry suppliers for the iPad 2.

In February, it was said that more than 60 percent of Apple's initial iPad 2 production would be 3G-capable models. The company is expected to produce three versions of the new iPad: a Wi-Fi-only model, a GSM/UMTS version, and a CDMA/EVDO model.

Apple's official unveiling of its second-generation iPad will take place Wednesday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will have full, extensive coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't know how they can make this prediction before seeing it. They must be assuming it won't be very different to the current one.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't know how they can make this prediction before seeing it. They must be assuming it won't be very different to the current one.

I'm assuming that. Why wouldn't you? It pays to be pessimistic with Apple, that way you're surprised by anything they do that's actually radical change.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    bcahill009bcahill009 Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is expected to have between 300,000 and 400,000 units available.

This seems absurdly low. I think there were a lot of people that held out for iPad 2 for whatever reason. I really don't think it matters much what Apple shows today. People already want it.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

I think there were a lot of people that held out for iPad 2 for whatever reason. I really don't think it matters much what Apple shows today. People already want it.

Thats spot on (from my point of view). For various reasons (mainly financial) I held off, then when i was in a position to get one, decided to wait until G2. Hoping for a slightly increased CPU/GPU and memory. I dont expect any real change in screen performance. I *think* (nothing to back up this up) that they may be going with an increase in battery size to keep the battery life up, rather than any real unit size decreases.

All I know for certain is that I want one ASAP. Low Expectations mean i won't be dissapointed
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm assuming that. Why wouldn't you? It pays to be pessimistic with Apple, that way you're surprised by anything they do that's actually radical change.

There have been so few rumors this time around I don't know what to expect.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    Dual boot w/ Android!
  • Reply 7 of 39
    It would be great if it added multiple user support, so that it could be shared for email, facebook, etc when on the coffee table.

It would also be great for Facebook to announce a native verson for the iPad.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

This seems absurdly low. I think there were a lot of people that held out for iPad 2 for whatever reason. I really don't think it matters much what Apple shows today. People already want it.

I think that estimate of 400,000 units is a day one available for purchase today number - with tens of thousands (or more) to be rolling off the assembly line each day going forward.

In these days of just in time manufacturing it pays to have a relatively small stockpile of anything - so that changes in demand can be made at the beginning of the production line and work their way through in a matter of days rather than weeks or months.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabbajon View Post

It would be great if it added multiple user support, so that it could be shared for email, facebook, etc when on the coffee table.

It would also be great for Facebook to announce a native verson for the iPad.

But why? I find a smartphone is best for what I need to do on FB. After all, most people are simply checking out pictures, and writing or reading on walls. That does not require anything larger than a 3.5"-4" screen.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

There have been so few rumors this time around I don't know what to expect.

Was that sarcasm? We've had just about every single rumor possible! 'Course, we always do.

1.2Ghz processor, double RAM, dual cameras, double capacity, new design, Thunderbolt, SD card, USB port (ALREADY HAS IT), CDMA model, LTE model, 7" version (*snort*)...

I think the point anymore is to shoot a Tomahawk missile at the dartboard and see what sticks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Dual boot w/ Android!

Hey, I plan to put Honeycomb on my first-gen once it's out. Already have iOS 4.2 and Android 2.2 on my iPhone 2G.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    6M in the first quarter?

So much for glass production problems limiting supply.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Was that sarcasm? We've had just about every single rumor possible! 'Course, we always do.

1.2Ghz processor, double RAM, dual cameras, double capacity, new design, Thunderbolt, SD card, USB port (ALREADY HAS IT), CDMA model, LTE model, 7" version (*snort*)...

It will apparently will come with a new glass, which is perfect for snorting .... Of course, there's an app for that. Apple gets 30% if you buy the white stuff from inside the app.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Dual boot w/ Android!

I agree. Steve J. saw the light and capitulated to the rising onslaught that is Android. Soon iOS will be no more.

• Reply 14 of 39
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    Apple needs to sell the crap out of the iPad 2 to shut up the pundits with their ridiculous banter about Android tablets taking huge amounts of market share from the iPad. If Apple can sell 6 million iPads to every 1 million Android tablets, that will keep Apple well in the lead in mind-share alone. Apple needs to get some cloud hook that consumers absolutely cannot resist and won't even consider buying an Android tablet. Every time a new Android tablet is introduced, Apple needs to counter with some offer that will knock the legs out from under that particular Android tablet. If Apple can do that for another year maybe rival Android vendors will realize that the tablet business isn't viable for them and most of them will just give up.

Maybe the iPad 2 will merely offer a processor speed-bump, added cameras and hopefully the same battery life as the iPad 1 in a thinner case. If the display quality is kept high, consumers should still take to it. I hope they're already starting to camp out in front of Apple retail stores. I'd like to see these Android tablet dominance rumors squashed as quickly as possible.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I think that estimate of 400,000 units is a day one available for purchase today number - with tens of thousands (or more) to be rolling off the assembly line each day going forward.

In these days of just in time manufacturing it pays to have a relatively small stockpile of anything - so that changes in demand can be made at the beginning of the production line and work their way through in a matter of days rather than weeks or months.

400k is not a small stockpile. Think about it. If you manufacture 4M instead, that would indeed meet the immediate demand. But storage incurs cost. Furthermore, this also means they wait a few months for 4M units to be built before they release the product. Either that, or they overbuild production capacity (which may not be available). Does either make sense?

The way Apple does it is not much too different than what most companies do. The main difference is that Apple works in numbers that are far greater. It's not truly a matter of limiting supply to create a sense of demand. It is a balance between manufacturing capacity, storage, delivery and prediction of demand. A very fine game - and another one Apple has mastered.

Somewhat limited supply is far better than excess inventory or unused manufacturing capacity.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

Dual boot w/ Android!

That would be an awesome step towards tablet OS commoditization.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

That would be an awesome step towards tablet OS commoditization.

Odd. "Commodity" and "awesome" in the same sentence!

C.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

It will apparently will come with a new glass, which is perfect for snorting .... Of course, there's an app for that. Apple gets 30% if you buy the white stuff from inside the app.

LOL, I never knew that was a selling point for tablets!
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Odd. "Commodity" and "awesome" in the same sentence!

C.

I only speak from the point of view of the consumer.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Well the Apple Store is down so there's probably *some* new product this morning.