Last-minute iPad 2 mockup surfaces in China with flat back, larger speaker

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Just hours before Apple is set to announce its second-generation iPad, new images representing the anticipated design of the device, complete with a flatter back and larger speaker grille, have surfaced online.

The high-quality mockup from DGtle.com could offer users an idea of what the new iPad will look like only hours before the official unveiling at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif. The device, also listed on eBay as a "dummy," is shown with a new thinner design, as well as an anticipated larger speaker on the second-generation device.

The mockup also includes the anticipated addition of two cameras to the iPad for FaceTime video chat and augmented reality applications. And the new iPad is also shown with a flatter back, allowing the device to sit flat on a table, unlike with the slightly curved design of the first-generation device.

Though the mockup uses a white space for the integrated 3G antenna, the report notes that, like with the current iPad, the strip along the top will be black for the final shipping product. The headphone jack and power button are also shown as part of an "inclined plane" across the top of the device.

On the left side of the device when facing forward is a SIM card slot. AppleInsider first reported in January that the space on the new iPad design would be used for a SIM card on the left side.

Interestingly, the mockup does not include a space on top for a Mini DisplayPort-size connector. Some third-party cases suggested that another port could be added to the top of the new iPad, and last week's release of new MacBook Pros with a high-speed Thunderbolt port in the shape of Mini DisplayPort fueled rumors that the new iPad will feature support for the new connector.

From the front, both the first-generation iPad and the mockup of the anticipated model show the same screen size and look largely the same, with the exception of a new FaceTime camera located above the 9.7-inch display. Apple is set to officially unveil the real iPad 2 at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, and AppleInsider will have full live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

LOL, I had been waiting all morning for "last minute" leaks/reveals

The side-by-side is quite the shot!!

I saw these last night.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    That's one very convincing "mockup".
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Really, I reckon its a little over an hour and a half now...
  • Reply 4 of 44
    kisinkisin Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by martimus3060 View Post

Really, I reckon its a little over an hour and a half now...

anybody know if there will be a live video stream?
  • Reply 5 of 44
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    I say this is wrong. The speaker bit, whilst marginally less ugly than the George Forman Grill one in previous pics, is tooo ugly, and having only 1 for mono sound is not going to happen. Not long to find out tho.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Nice hardware. Gonna sell well... but not to me, unless they've gone all in w/ a higher res screen and added much needed functionalities to the OS like real notifications.

LoL at the Moto Xoom ads on the front page. Nice touch, AI
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Last minute guess : Sandy Bridge 2.2ghz i7 4gb ram, 30 hours battery life, 10 inch retina display. Uses a piece of Steve Jobs liver in it's battery chemistry.

(prepping for ipad 2 is what has sent his health on a downturn).
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Though the mockup uses a white space for the integrated 3G antenna, the report notes that, like with the current iPad, the strip along the top will be black for the final shipping product. ...

Unless it's not made out of aluminium, then it won't need the strip at all. This should really have been phrased as an assumption on their part.

I'm still betting on carbon fibre, and at least three colours (black white and grey). Carbon fibre would solve the problem of the original iPad's weight without cutting back on battery (in fact it would allow them to use a bigger battery), and fix the problem of being unable to use it in cold environments as well.

If it's *possible* to make it our of carbon fibre and still make it stiff and durable, it's a no brainer that they would do so IMO. The only question is whether those patents they have on new carbon fibre processes actually work.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    n42n42 Posts: 34member
    ugh, that speaker grill is hideous.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    t0mat0t0mat0 Posts: 58member
    See as Thunderbolt is currently non-optical - could there be a 30 pin upgrade to make a 30 pin to Thunderbolt cable?
  • Reply 11 of 44
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t0mat0 View Post

See as Thunderbolt is currently non-optical - could there be a 30 pin upgrade to make a 30 pin to Thunderbolt cable?

I think yes.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Looks nice, though if this new version doesn't include a bump to 128gb, and a built-in SDHC/XD card reader (for easy photo transfers), I'll be skipping this generation.

Also , this whole 'thinness' thing has truly reached the point of diminishing returns, and the sloped dock-port doesn't allow the actual connector to sit flush with the device, which I find a bit disconcerting (as I do on my iPod Touch/64gb).
  • Reply 13 of 44
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    This event isn't just about the iPad 2, as far as I understand. Maybe there's a massive upgrade to MobileMe to be unleashed today as well.

For me, the iPad is 10 x more useful with Dropbox. Many people who have iPads that I've seen rave about the way they use DB in conjunction with their iPad. Apple can't be too stoked about this. They really should have a killer cloud service that works magically with their own iPad.

New iPad services and maybe a price reduction would put serious pressure on the wannabes until Apple can coast into the iPad 3 upgrade later this year (if rumor holds).

I hope it has 2 cameras. I don't think the SD slot will be there, but then again, I didn't think they'd put them on their iMacs and Laptops either.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Was it really so necessary to publish these pictures so close to the official unveiling? Seems kind of desperate to me. The launch is just a few hundred minutes away FFS.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    Quote:

Last minute guess : Sandy Bridge 2.2ghz i7 4gb ram, 30 hours battery life, 10 inch retina display. Uses a piece of Steve Jobs liver in it's battery chemistry.

(prepping for ipad 2 is what has sent his health on a downturn).

Bad taste. \
  • Reply 16 of 44
    I don't know - that's a pretty convincing mockup. Looks like the real thing to me. Whatever the thing looks like we're gonna be giving one away soon on bigsho.com. I hope the iPad2 is as good as it sounds like it'll be.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

this whole 'thinness' thing has truly reached the point of diminishing returns, and the sloped dock-port doesn't allow the actual connector to sit flush with the device, which I find a bit disconcerting (as I do on my iPod Touch/64gb).

That's the first thing I noticed when seeing the mock pictures. You're right about the sloping 30-pin connector. It made it quite a hassle to hook my iPod Touch to my Zeppelin speakers. Sometimes I just use the headphone jack so I don't have to bend down, analyze the location and angle and make several attempts to get the angle just right before it slides in.

PITA...let's hope someone at Apple made sure this isn't the case with the thinner iPad.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    I am at the airport flying from Chicago to Detroit and just saw a iPad 2 prototype .. Being used by a couple who owns and trades apple stock (I know coz we talked puts and calls and I know what I am trading next...) for all the fellow apple geeks ... The feeling of being able to see a apple gadget prior to it's world launch is ecstatic !!!*

The iPad two is the same size as before feels and looks about the same size and has a front camera only ( no rare camera, no USB inlet ... No SD card slot ) ...*

Can't tell if the processor is faster but I can tell you that I am getting it !!!*
  • Reply 19 of 44
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    The Apple Store has been down for a while, so it seems like a pretty good chance that they will be announcing immediate (or a few days, at most) availability of a new iPad.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Didn't they live stream the ipod event?

Has anyone heard anything about this one? I'd like to see it.