Steve Jobs surprises with return to the stage at Apple's iPad 2 event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs surprised the crowd Wednesday by taking the stage at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, just weeks after he left his daily duties for health reasons.

Jobs was greeted with a standing ovation when he took the stage. He noted to the audience that Apple has been working on the second-generation iPad for awhile, and that he didn't want to miss its unveiling.

For his first announcement, Jobs revealed that Random House has come to the iBookstore for iOS devices. Random House will add more than 17,000 books to the digital storefront, and users have already downloaded more than 100 million books in less than a year from more than 2,500 publishers.

He also announced that Apple recently sold its 100 millionth iPhone, and that more than $2 billion has been paid to developers through the App Store. In addition, Jobs boasted that in 9 months the iPad sold more than every tablet PC ever, with 15 million in the hands of users.

Rumors first surfaced on Wednesday that Jobs was "mulling" a return to the stage, despite his recent health issues. Jobs announced in mid January that those issues had forced him to take a leave of absence from his daily duties at Apple, though he remains the company's CEO.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    Way to go, Steve!
  • Reply 2 of 83
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Go Steve!
  • Reply 3 of 83
    In steve we trust!!!
  • Reply 4 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    His face, at least, looks as full as pre-liver transplant Steve's, so that's good. Might be safe to grow out a beard again.
  • Reply 5 of 83
    Oh no. Looks like it's going to be $$ out the door again......

The man is some salesman.

Great to see him back!
  • Reply 6 of 83
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    is it really that big of a surprise. Not to me or a lot of folks that I know

Now if he had been in the hospital all this time pretty much on his death bed, THEN that would be surprising.

What is more of a surprise to me is that nothing was said about mobileme. Aren't there tons of rumors about new streaming, new prices, better idisk system (more like dropbox) etc. Wouldn't it have been appropriate to mention all that when it was brought up that they aren't increasing the internal storage sizes. to offset concerns about not having enough space for apps, photos, videos etc. or even these new imovie&garageband apps which I"m sure won't be small in size
  • Reply 7 of 83
    anakin1992anakin1992 Posts: 283member
    it is so great to see him.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

His face, at least, looks as full as pre-liver transplant Steve's, so that's good. Might be safe to grow out a beard again.

I felt bad for him, I didn't think he looked well at all. He lookes really thin and his face looks like he is 77 rather then 57. Not trying to be disrespectful to him, I just looked at some pictures from two years ago and he looks like he aged 20 years instead of 2 years.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I felt bad for him, I didn't think he looked well at all. He lookes really thin and his face looks like he is 77 rather then 57. Not trying to be disrespectful to him, I just looked at some pictures from two years ago and he looks like he aged 20 years instead of 2 years.

You lose a liver and see how you fare.

Honestly, his vegan diet probably won't make recovery quick, but he's finally making visible progress, at least.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    I'd say I told you so...but I'm too deep in the liveblog to take the time...
  • Reply 11 of 83
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:

You lose a liver and see how you fare.

Honestly, his vegan diet probably won't make recovery quick, but he's finally making visible progress, at least.

Well that was kind of my point. Cearly he has been through hell with his illness as would anyone in that situation.
  • Reply 12 of 83
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    All hail Steve!
  • Reply 13 of 83
    rarerare Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Just curious: what non-vegan items do you think might help him to recover faster?
  • Reply 14 of 83
    People who were actually there said he looked good. I'm glad -- Steve and the phenomenal team he has built at Apple have inspired billions (yes, even those without Apple products are inspired).

Way to go, Steve, Phil, Scott, Jony, Randy, Xander, Bob and their teams! Live long and prosper, and continue to fill our stockings with the coolest gadgetry this side of the 24th century.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    He looked very poor.
  • Reply 16 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

He looked very poor.

He looked rich to me, and not bad at all for what he's been through. Battle cancer and transplant issues and see if you can maintain an untouched countenance. He looked no different than he has looked for the last year or so - perhaps giving up the National Enquirer will unjaundice your eye.
  • Reply 17 of 83
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

He looked rich to me, and not bad at all for what he's been through. Battle cancer and transplant issues and see if you can maintain an untouched countenance. He looked no different than he has looked for the last year or so - perhaps giving up the National Enquirer will unjaundice your eye.

I don't ready tabloids or even pay attention to the TMZ type sites. I just call it like I see it. He doesn't look good. Worse than the last time he gave a product announcement.
  • Reply 18 of 83
    Hail Steve Jobs King of Magic! Great to see him on stage doing his thing so splendidly and better than anyone else. Been following him since early 1980s and he's the best.
  • Reply 19 of 83
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rare View Post

Just curious: what non-vegan items do you think might help him to recover faster?

The massive amounts of protein and calcium in meat, eggs, milk...

And no, no vegetable contains as much protein or iron as red meat, unless u eat a ton of it...
  • Reply 20 of 83
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rare View Post

I suspect Steve is an A or AB (more likely) blood type. There is a point to this.

An "open" or "part-time" vegetarian way might be the route to go. Steve should probably keep all fats to moderate, and add fish and eggs to his diet. Forget milk of any kind, skimp on starchy grains, beans, legumes and high fructose fruits. Hit low starch veggies hard and choose berries over fruit. Not sure about soya products; there are too many estrogenic probs there. Medium chain fats would help his energy levels and some coconut oil, possibly coconut water would be of help.

The Dalai Lama is a "part-time" vegetarian. As an O blood type he found he did not feel well and lacked energy on a vegetarian diet so he adds meat on alternate days. Steve could try this method but fish and occasional turkey might be worth a try.

He needs to monitor his body's response to food to figure out what he needs to keep and what to nix.

Your welcome. Glad you asked.