Apple brings HDMI output to iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Alongside iPad 2, Apple has released a new $39 "Digital AV Adapter" that supports HDMI audio and video output for 720p photo slideshows and movies on iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPad, while also supporting video mirroring on the upcoming iPad 2.

The new adapter plugs into the Dock connector, providing both an HDMI port and a Dock passthrough so attached iOS devices can charge while playing or sync while connected to an external display.

"Watch slideshows and movies on the big screen in up to 720p by connecting your iPad, iPhone 4, or iPod touch (4th generation) to an HDTV or HDMI-compatible display," Apple notes on its store page.

"Use the Apple Digital AV Adapter to mirror whatever?s on your iPad 2 screen ? apps, presentations, websites, and more ? on your HDTV or HDMI-compatible display in up to 1080p HD (movies play at up to 720p)."

Previously, the iOS devices introduced in 2010 only supported VGA output, which provides analog component video with no support for audio out. It was not known that iPhone 4 and its iPod touch sibling also had latent support for HDMI, a digital connection that pairs DVI video signals with audio. Most modern HDTVs support HDMI input.

Apple also supports AirPlay wireless audio and video streaming from iPhone 4, iPod touch and iPad, which uses WiFi to deliver music photos and video to the new iOS-based Apple TV, or audio to AirPort Express base stations and some third party devices that support AirPlay.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    its amazing.. way to go stevee :x
  • Reply 2 of 55
    So I have the basketball ticket app so will I be able to watch live games thru my T.V with this cable now ?
  • Reply 3 of 55
    unferthunferth Posts: 18member
    So does this give the iTouch the functionality of an AppleTV that actually works with Hulu+? That's pretty effin sweet. Just wished it worked with the 3GS I actually have right now.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Updated the spreadsheet of iOS hardware capabilities with the iPad 2 models. HDMI output and video mirroring is associated with the 30-pin connector.

Please let me know if anything is recorded incorrectly.

Also, does anyone know if the iPad 2 has a vibration motor in it for game play?
  • Reply 5 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StillOwn128kMac View Post

As long as "vibration motor" means "gyroscope".
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The vibration motor is in the iPhone models and used to vibrate the phone when a call comes in (for silent mode). The motor can be used in many ways, such as to give real feel to the "rolling" of dice:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motio...287509231?mt=8

I have not heard of that motor being in the iPod Touches or iPads.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Everyone always clamors on over this myth about other companies just copying Apple, but this is one feature I hope to GOD everyone else copies (video mirroring that is.) I like the idea of outputting what I see on my screen to a TV.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Updated the spreadsheet of iOS hardware capabilities with the iPad 2 models. HDMI output and video mirroring is associated with the 30-pin connector.

What kind of games do you play, where you would need a vibrator?

Sorry I know it's late here and I had my glass of good ole red wine. I just could't prevent myself from asking.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaKid2301 View Post

So I have the basketball ticket app so will I be able to watch live games thru my T.V with this cable now ?

No you use AirPlay troll.

HDMI output features are pretty clearly defined in the article.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    I suppose this could be useful for presentations, but otherwise I don't see the point given the limited space.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Is that a bit harsh?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

• Reply 12 of 55
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Actually, one point I'd like to get clarified. Two quotes from the article:

Quote:

"HDMI audio and video output for 720p photo slideshows and movies"

Quote:

"HDMI-compatible display in up to 1080p HD (movies play at up to 720p)"

So exactly what is the resolution for slide shows? Is it 720p? Is the verticle resolution the same as the iPad, 768, but then scaled up to 1080p (jaggies)? Or is it a full 1080p view of the photos (ie, higher resolution than you can see on the iPad display itself)?

I find 720p video adequate for movies considering the motion of the video images, but a nice crisp 1080p view of still photos would be sweet!

Similar question for the general UI. Obviously, any bitmap images used in the UI will get scaled. But what about vector graphics and text? Is that rendered at 1024x768 and then scaled to 1080p (ie, jaggies)? Or is it rendered at 1080p?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by strobe View Post

I suppose this could be useful for presentations, but otherwise I don't see the point given the limited space.

Since you can now use AirPlay between a computer running iTunes and an iOS device, the space constraint almost becomes a moot point. I think you could use any iOS device as a stand-in for an AppleTV. So you could stream the movies from iTunes on your computer and it's large hard drive. Not sure if you can stream slide shows though, since slideshows don't exist in iTunes. But sweet if you could!
  • Reply 13 of 55
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    I didn't think i could sync 720p content to my iphone....

I presume it would play widescreen. The iPad demo shows mirrored screens - so it looks like it's a pillarboxed picture (black bars on the side)
  • Reply 14 of 55
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Is that a bit harsh?

IMO yes. 10 posts in and the thread is alreadty degrading.

I like the ability to view on the TV, but don't want to go down the road of needing this cable for this, that cable for another thing, etc
  • Reply 15 of 55
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaKid2301 View Post

I'm expecting that too but I'm hoping MLB Extra Innings app supports Airplay streaming to the Apple TV.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:

How does the question posed make the poster a troll. And Airplay has to be written into the App. Who says every content provider will want that or do it in time for the season?
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Next time I visit a classroom to give a presentation on something, I want to do it from my iPhone4. Kids think it's cool when I show them stuff off my MBP13, but straight from the phone would really get their attention.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

Yours is the first I've read that the iPad can output 720p movies without just mirroring. I assume this is correct (it makes sense!) and that it means it'll be full screen not pillarboxed.

The point of this article is that the iPhone 4 can also output 720p HDMI - this isn't recorded in your table.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    macshackmacshack Posts: 103member
    Does the iPhone 4 also support mirror view or only the iPad 2?
  • Reply 20 of 55
    ipedroipedro Posts: 63member
    The unspoken benefit of this: iPad + HDTV = console

You dock your iPad and use an iPhone or iPod as a controller and you have a full fledged console. With the power of the A5 chip, the kind of games that can now be developed is on par with Xbox and Playstation.