Apple announces iPad 2 with new design, faster A5 processor

Comments

• Reply 281 of 417
    gotwakegotwake Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennieb View Post

I want to be able to directly connect a USB flash drive to the iPad itself. Our campus is without WiFi and if I need to be able to upload something from one computer to another then this is the easiest way. If you have a useful suggestion, I am all for it, as I was really hoping to get the new version!!

Well, you may want to switch schools. WiFi is on every corner. Get a DropBox account and you can access it from any computer. It really amazes me people are so tore up about not having a Flash drive. Maybe Apple should attach a floppy drive too. You never know when you will need it.
  • Reply 282 of 417
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

[Updating the iOS can't, in my opinion, be seen as a refresh.]

So how do you feel about the Xoom?

Wait for the update for Flash?

Wait for the update for 4G?

So without these (non) refreshes, the Xoom seems even more lame when compared to the iPad 2.
  • Reply 283 of 417
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    I think the second generation iPad's hardware is just fine, it's iOS that needs an overhaul:

As the new iMovie's export options show, a unified, system-wide file handling system is needed - be it local storage or in the cloud. Likewise Airprint's capabilities need to be expanded to non-HP-printers as was originally planned. Also, the notification system needs to be reworked; why am I informed about calls and text messages but not e-mails?

What features would you like to see improved or added in iOS5? What about further titles from the iLife suite? I'd love to see a better more iPhoto-like version of photos...
  • Reply 284 of 417
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

I want to be able to directly connect a USB flash drive to the iPad itself. Our campus is without WiFi and if I need to be able to upload something from one computer to another then this is the easiest way. If you have a useful suggestion, I am all for it, as I was really hoping to get the new version!!

Create an Ad-Hoc wireless network on your PC/Mac. Log on to the wireless network using your iPad. Then get one of the file sharing app such as Air Share.
  • Reply 285 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cybervex View Post

I fail to see how the Xoom is overpriced. I paid $829 for my iPad. The Xoom costs $799 without contract.

I also remember the lack of iPad native apps available when I powered up my iPad on day one.

The bickering back and forth makes me laugh. I love my iPad and wont give it up till Apple makes one with 4G and MORE resolution. Having said that I am considering purchasing a Xoom to play with.

How much will a 32GB memory card cost, to bring the Xoom up to 64GB of memory?

Seeing as you chose to base your comparison on the 64GB iPad.
  • Reply 286 of 417
    Quote:

The camera connection kit which I mentioned earlier would allow you to physically plug a USB flash drive into the iPad.

After that, the issue is whether the iPad has software that can use it that way. Perhaps there is or will be a 3rd party app that can read and write to USB flash drives.

As for the micro USB connector, I'm not sure you would need an adapter. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a cable that terminated with a micro USB connector.
  • Reply 287 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Create an Ad-Hoc wireless network on your PC/Mac. Log on to the wireless network using your iPad. Then get one of the file sharing app such as Air Share.

That's a really good suggestion.

You could also get an AirPort Express which is very portable. It would cost a little extra, but you wouldn't have to recreate the network every time you want to use it.
  • Reply 288 of 417
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So how do you feel about the Xoom?

Wait for the update for Flash?

Wait for the update for 4G?

So without these (non) refreshes, the Xoom seems even more lame when compared to the iPad 2.

Xoom is exactly what I said it would be over a month ago... rushed.
  • Reply 289 of 417
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No one bothers to figure out kotatsu. He pops in every once in a while, trolls, gets bored and then leaves, pops back in again......

...I think it has something to do with a full moon...
  • Reply 290 of 417
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

There is NO GPS in the wi-fi and only cell tower approximation GPS in the cellular versions.

False. The iPad 3G has a Broadcom BCM4750UBG A-GPS chip in it.

Quote:

My only disappointment with the iPad is the lack of dedicated GPS - and for me as a geologist it is a purchase killer.

FYI the FAA just this week granted limited approval of iPad use for aeronautic charts. GPS would be really useful for ANY mapping applications.

Be disappointed no more.
  • Reply 291 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You don't mention which it is but if by "our" you mean American, you have it backwards.

11/3(/11) is British

3/11(/11) is American

Australian, i.e. British
  • Reply 292 of 417
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    That would be an adaptor.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

As for the micro USB connector, I'm not sure you would need an adapter. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a cable that terminated with a micro USB connector.

• Reply 293 of 417
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomsop View Post

I have an Iphone 4 and I have seen an Ipad. I guess I have been spoiled and see room for improvement from the Ipad but I understand technology/price/availability cannot keep up.

I guarantee you that on Ipad 3 the first bullet point will be display quality change. I was hoping to see that today.

I am leaning towards getting an Ipad 2 so I guess my real question is should I wait a little longer since I do not have an Ipad or wait for Ipad 3 - if it is a year from now I will buy the Ipad 2 - if it is this fall I can wait. I am perplexed about what to do.

you can buy the 2, sell it and then get the 3 when its available.
  • Reply 294 of 417
    Quote:

My only complaint is still the fact that apple refuses to include useful ports. All I'm asking for is a USB connection without having to carry around an apple adapter cord. I'm a teacher - I need to be able to toss the iPad in my bag with the ability to add files directly on the go without fumbling with a bag of cords.

Here's an idea.

Place the adapter on the end of the USB cable before putting the USB cable into your bag...

Voila... only 1 cable/adapter in your bag... no fumbling required!

And those who don't need the capability do not have to pay more for a more expensive tablet that includes something they do not use or need.
  • Reply 295 of 417
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dimitrir

Very disappointing - not nearly as good as Motorola Xoom.

It looks like 2011 will be a year of Android tablets after all.

Look: You could have gotten paid for your remarkably astute and concise analysis:

Motorola Xoom versus the iPad 2 --- the Xoom is a clear winner

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Where are all of the Xoom sales, then? Oh, that's right... they're negligible.

Perzactly....

Where will all the Xoomers go after their devices short time's passing?
  • Reply 296 of 417
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Fairly predictable, but great to hear none the less:

The reviews are very clear:

Those that did not touch the iPad 2, are slamming the ipads spec sheet, calling it a 1.5, minor upgrade, and asking how this is going to hold up vs the Androidian Hoard.

Anyone that has a hands on review is talking about how excellent this thing performs and how different it feels.

Still looking now for a hands on that has anywhere near the same tone as the "armchair" analysts.

Even the ones that live blogged during the event quickly seems to take on a whole other tone after getting thier hands on it.

Went from yawn to wow pretty quick IYAM.
  • Reply 297 of 417
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

How much will a 32GB memory card cost, to bring the Xoom up to 64GB of memory?

Seeing as you chose to base your comparison on the 64GB iPad.

The Xoom is a good product and Honeycomb is done well. Anyone on this forum or anywhere else that says the price point isn't seen as a problem with the Xoom is fooling themselves.

Moto actually mess up for a short period of time they had a coupon code the allowed 25% off any product and they forgot to exclude the Xoom. A few people were able to take advantage and the Xoom off contract for 599.00 instead of 799.00 If you compare spec to spec the Xoom is really only 70.00 more expensive then the same model iPad 32GB with 3G.
  • Reply 298 of 417
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Xoom is exactly what I said it would be over a month ago... rushed.

How is it rushed? Flash will be available in a few weeks and the iPad 2 doesn't even offer an LTE option.
  • Reply 299 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Look: You could have gotten paid for your remarkably astute and concise analysis:

Motorola Xoom versus the iPad 2 --- the Xoom is a clear winner

Perzactly....

Where will all the Xoomers go after their devices short time's passing?

I was going to post a pissy comment about Baby Xoomers... but I won't....

Here's an article with a different perspective:

The Only Thing You Need to Know About the iPad 2

• Reply 300 of 417
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

Not quite! iPad 1 should have had 500 GB of storage, 4 GB of RAM, 3 GHz quad-core A10 processor, etc.

Pfffttt!!!!

You forgot it should cost only $19.99 and for a limited time you will get a second iPad free*

*Handling charges apply