Apple kills fall iPad 3 rumors by calling 2011 "Year of iPad 2"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 131
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike11 View Post

I second that. There's no reason why Apple couldn't introduce an iPad 2 S/HD/Pro/4G/etc. in September or Q4 2011.

Agreed - FAIL substantive journalism.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 22 of 131
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple kills fall iPad 3 rumors by calling 2011 "Year of iPad 2"

But if/when an iPad 3 is introduced in 2011, everyone's expectations will be exceeded and it will be a market moving event.
  • Reply 23 of 131
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bevelmon View Post

If there is any surprise hardware in the fall other than iPods Including a new 5-6" iPod it will be an Apple TV, a real TV not a set top box. If you're thinking anything else you're not paying attention!

Paying attention? A 6" iPod makes no sense. Too big to be "easily-pocketable" and too small to have tablet-class apps. As for the Television - yes, I want one too - but I think the thing holding Apple back really is a true iTunes TV Show subscription deal. Until Apple can iron out a deal like that I don't see them ever releasing a full-blown TV product. The "Apple TV" is an easy sell, relatively, because of its small asking price. The same would not be able to be said for an Apple Television. An iTunes TV Show subscription deal would give it that "oomph-factor" Apple needs to want to take this product on.

We know Apple would build one heck of a TV, but their hands are tied at the moment.
  • Reply 24 of 131
    kamarokamaro Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Holy shit Charlie Sheen joined the forum.

I spit-out my burger while reading that!
  • Reply 25 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I was fairly certain before today that there would be a fall upgrade. After seeing the "2011 - Year of the iPad 2", I am much less certain.

The one thing that still might make sense is introducing a premium product with Retina Display atop the current line-up if they can acquire displays in adequate quantities. These would probably also require additional RAM so I guess they would be $100 to $200 more expensive.

I am actually with you on this. It makes it seem unlikely.

It is still pretty silly to declare it "killed" so definitively with a phrase that could easily be spin doctored
  • Reply 26 of 131
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    The ridiculous thing is that before the "Retina Display" rumour came along - and we still have absolutely no evidence that there's a single grain of truth to it - everybody wanted an iPad 2 much like the one that Apple delivered today. Thinner, lighter, front and back cameras, more powerful CPU (it remains to be seen how much RAM it has). We got all that in addition to two great new apps from Apple. But now there are people who are disappointed because Apple didn't deliver on a promise it never made. We really have no idea when Apple will deliver an Retina Display, whether it's even remotely cost effective to do so, or even if they actually have one planned at all. It should be obvious by now that many (most?) of these rumours are complete fabrications.
  • Reply 27 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

This is relevant to today's topic and very funny

What it's like to own an Apple product

Not the first to make the joke, but among the many to make it tired.
  • Reply 28 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Bullshit.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - look at what Apple does, don't listen to what they say.

"In March we told you 2011 would be the year of iPad 2, and it is, but we're starting 2012 early." - September 2011

I can so see Steve saying that.

I had to sig that xD
  • Reply 29 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike11 View Post

I second that. There's no reason why Apple couldn't introduce an iPad 2 S/HD/Pro/4G/etc. in September or Q4 2011.

Agree with this and the similar thoughts being expressed. What's Steve gonna say, anyway? It's "the six-or-so-months-of-iPad 2-until-we-pop-out-a-new-model'? Geez. They just released a new, redesigned, updated product. Naturally, the focus is on that product right now! Why not? Now's now, and the fall is the fall. Meantime, they'll sell a zillion of these things. Even if an iPad 3, or 2 and a half, or whatever, is released this fall, the majority of this year's sales will be of iPad 2 devices. So no matter how you overanalyze this, it's the year of the iPad 2.
  • Reply 30 of 131
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

But now there are people who are disappointed because Apple didn't deliver on a promise it never made.

Anybody who ever believed in that idiotic troll rumor is extremely naive and they deserve to be disappointed. They will also be disappointed many more times in their lives.
  • Reply 31 of 131
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

The ridiculous thing is that before the "Retina Display" rumour came along - and we still have absolutely no evidence that there's a single grain of truth to it - everybody wanted an iPad 2 much like the one that Apple delivered today.

Gruber tends to not just simply say things like this. Even if he says he's just saying them, there's usually more to it than that. Yes, he says it's a guess, but his guesses are practically always informed ones.
  • Reply 32 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Holy shit Charlie Sheen joined the forum.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kamaro View Post

I spit-out my burger while reading that!

Holy topical humor batman!

Man. I'm really cynical today. I blame it on being home sick all week.

I can say, there's nothing better than being home all day following liveblogs of an apple event.

Or maybe there is but I need to get out more. ::shrugs::
  • Reply 33 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Bullshit.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - look at what Apple does, don't listen to what they say.

"In March we told you 2011 would be the year of iPad 2, and it is, but we're starting 2012 early." - September 2011

I can so see Steve saying that.

Naw, it'll be called the iPad 2e. Still the year of the iPad 2...
  • Reply 34 of 131
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    You don't say! Thats gotta be the most absurd rumour for years. So transparent in it's intent and point of origination. I cant believe people suckered for it.
  • Reply 35 of 131
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Jobs appearance signified this was a major event. Indeed it was. His appearance and statements indicate this product will last till next year. iPad has the momentum. iPad2 will solidify the lead. 2012 may be the year of iPad3.
  • Reply 36 of 131
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    What short memories we have.

In 2005, Steve Jobs declared it "The Year of HD".

And we all know what happened with that.
  • Reply 37 of 131
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bevelmon View Post

If there is any surprise hardware in the fall other than iPods Including a new 5-6" iPod it will be an Apple TV, a real TV not a set top box. If you're thinking anything else you're not paying attention!

you got that right.
  • Reply 38 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

What short memories we have.

In 2005, Steve Jobs declared it "The Year of HD".

And we all know what happened with that.

I think you're reaching.

First, Steve jobs wasn't quoted there.

Second. Don't you need hd production tools before you can start producing consumer hd products.

Maybe 2009 was the year of hd for the consumers. But ask people on the production side if you want to see the effect final cut hd had.
  • Reply 39 of 131
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    just watched the event video. the two things that impressed the most were: (1) simply seeing Jobs look so vigorous and apparently in decent health, and (2) Garage Band.

Garage Band really is a true Wow!! app. for the ridiculously insignificant price of $5 (on top of the iPad purchase price, which you would buy anyway for dozens of other good reasons) you get an entire easiest-to-use-ever orchestra of sophisticated musical instrument synthesizers combined with an easiest-to-use-ever 8 track recording studio. i mean, just five years ago if this software existed - which it didn't and couldn't - you would have had to pay $10,000 for it. or much more. the kids and teenagers of the world (of all ages) are going to go bonkers when they get their hands on it.

Jobs btw has to realize he may not have much time left - tho you never know, he might live to 100 with today's medical technology (i'm sure he gets the latest and most advanced there is). so one thing you can be sure of: he is not going to leave anything new and outstanding he can envision and that Apple can execute undone. and it's absolutely undeniable that today Apple can execute better than any consumer technology company in the world, period - it's not even close. and you know that initial development for 2012 hardware and software is already underway, even while they finish the 2011 models, like an A6 chip and so on ... and conceptual development work for 2013 products has already begun too.
  • Reply 40 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Let me be the first to say that my prediction on a previous thread was wrong. I was sure this would be iPad 1.5, a minimal bump in speed and a few other enhancements, with the real iPad 2 coming in the fall. Hey, if you put stuff out on this this forum that proves to be off the mark, you should own it.

No body ever does on AI Robin. I think it's an unspoken rule. We all get to make insane speculations and when we are proven wrong we ignore it and focus on the great new thing Apple actually did release. We are safe to be crazy here on AI. No one ever apologizes for losing a hand of poker; except maybe only to themselves.

Given Apple's decisions in the past new ipad in the fall is unlikely and I'm not waiting. Ipad 2 looks like a great improvement. If there's a new iPad in the fall that is compelling as iPad 2 is then I'll just buy one of those too.