Stream of Apple's iPad 2 keynote now available

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple has posted the live stream of Wednesday's iPad 2 event, which featured a surprise appearance by Chief Executive Steve Jobs.

Apple has made the special event video stream available on both apple.com and iTunes.

Jobs took the stage Wednesday to a standing ovation from attendees. Prior to the event, rumors swirled that Jobs would be in attendance, despite being on indefinite medical leave from day-to-day operations at the company.

"We've been working on this product for a while and I just didn't want to miss today," he said.

Though the focus of the event was clearly the iPad, Jobs had several other announcements to make first. He began by highlighting the addition of publisher Random House to Apple's iBookstore.

Jobs revealed that the App Store had just reached the $2 billion milestone in total payments to developers. He also noted that the company has now sold over 100 million iPhones.

Turning his attention to the iPad, Jobs called it "Apple's third post-PC blockbuster product." Apple earned $9.5 billion in revenue from the iPad in just 9 months during 2010, which Jobs called "the year of the iPad."

Jobs also took the time to poke fun at skeptics who had doubted the iPad last year. "People laughed at us for using the word magical, but you know what? It's turned out to be magical, right? People weren't sure that it was an unbelievable price, but, let me tell you, ask our competitors now," he quipped

"But we haven't been resting on our laurels," Jobs said, declaring 2011 "the year of iPad 2."

Jobs then unveiled the redesigned iPad, which features dual cameras, a dual-core processor and a lighter and thinner form factor. The device will ship in two colors, black and white, from day one and will start at $499 just like the original iPad. The iPad 2 will launch in the U.S. on March 11 and in 26 more countries on March 25.

The iPad 2 also has a new HDMI-out feature and a "Smart Cover" magnetic case that was designed alongside the new iPad.

During the keynote, Apple showed off several new features of the upcoming iOS 4.3, such as faster JavaScript performance and enhancements to iTunes home sharing and AirPlay.

Apple also announced an iPad and iPhone version of its Photo Booth application and an iPad version of iMovie and Garageband.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I saw it a few hours ago when it was released.

They must be getting hit pretty hard though, because the connection was choppy and I have a good connection. I downloaded it instead, and that worked out fine.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I saw it a few hours ago when it was released.

They must be getting hit pretty hard though, because the connection was choppy and I have a good connection. I downloaded it instead, and that worked out fine.

Just watched it here in China and it ran great! Glad to see you Steve! Great presentation as always!

...and can't wait to get my hands on one! This is what I've been waiting for and most likely will get it through Hong Kong!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    It's also available in the Apple Keynotes Podcast on iTunes

I was a bit disappointed there was no mention of an update to iWork but hey-ho.

Good to see Jobs in public. It's two fingers up to the morbid press. He still looks very thin though, let's hope the medical leave can do him some good!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

It's also available in the Apple Keynotes Podcast on iTunes

I was a bit disappointed there was no mention of an update to iWork but hey-ho.

Good to see Jobs in public. It's two fingers up to the morbid press. He still looks very thin though, let's hope the medical leave can do him some good!

Best way to view it. Apple's own video on the web page stinks. Can't adequately drag the slider forward or backward to skip over parts without making the video disappear. For cryin' out loud guys, you want no Flash, but still cannot deliver decent streaming video on your own site. Needs some work!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Best way to view it. Apple's own video on the web page stinks. Can't adequately drag the slider forward or backward to skip over parts without making the video disappear. For cryin' out loud guys, you want no Flash, but still cannot deliver decent streaming video on your own site. Needs some work!

It works really well for me here in the UK. Maybe now the US traffic has thinned it's improved? Though I thought the point of HTTP streaming was to make this less of an issue. Still, it's better than a lot of live streaming you see out there and my MacBook Pro doesn't melt running it lol
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Just watched the whole presentation and I'm very excited. Fantastic stuff.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Awesome...I will be getting 2 of these bad boyz.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Anyone who fails to watch the entire 1 hour and 13 minutes of this Keynote is uninformed. Everyone in the Apple culture should be required to watch it. I learned a lot and that was after monitoring multiple text reports live. If you think you know what happened this morning without watching this, you are delusional, lazy and clueless.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Man do I agree.

Neither of the ipad videos will play for me. Haven't worked all day.

Yet they make a big deal about flash? Seriously what's up?!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    All of the videos -- the keynote and the two short iPad videos -- have played perfectly fine for me all just shortly after they were posted. I don't think I've ever had a problem playing videos on the apple website, so it's a bit weird to hear about anyone having problems about it.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Hot:

- HDMI out

- Video editing with your fingers

- GarageBand: does any other tablet have this?

- Personal hotspot

Not:

- Scott Foreskin spending 10 minutes explaining the slider switch

Looks good on paper, but...

- Magnetic cover

- AirPlay

Subversive:

- You can shoot a video on your iPad, edit it on the spot, and sent it to CNN right from within the app.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undecided View Post

All of the videos -- the keynote and the two short iPad videos -- have played perfectly fine for me all just shortly after they were posted. I don't think I've ever had a problem playing videos on the apple website, so it's a bit weird to hear about anyone having problems about it.

Once the video starts to play, try scrubbing the controller. I've found that the audio continues, but the video disappears.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    edited