Apple announces iPad 2 with new design, faster A5 processor

Comments

• Reply 301 of 417
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Availability dates of Flash have slipped before. Thus far its performance has not be overly impressive.

LTE isn't any faster than HSPA+. Why should Apple rush?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

How is it rushed? Flash will be available in a few weeks and the iPad 2 doesn't even offer an LTE option.

• Reply 302 of 417
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Let's check back at the end of the year.

I'm thinking we check back in June.
  • Reply 303 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Totally awesome dude. Widgets are much, much cooler than actual applications. You can recite the specs out loud to yourself while staring raptly at your home-screen while I'm editing videos and mixing down music. And designing and showing Keynote presentations. And..... well, never mind, you've got a weather widget to love.

Thanks so much for this. Kinda sums up the real differences although iOS 5 better improve notifications.
  • Reply 304 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Gotta say having separate models for AT&T and Verizon is the one truly negative thing about iPad 2. When you buy a portable "computer" you should be able to use it with any wireless provider.

As an astute friend of mine said this morning, CDMA isn't a technology it's a business model into which customers are locked.

I'm surprised they didn't use the Gobi chip in the iPad2 - maybe there is not enough room after it's been slimmed down.
  • Reply 305 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Cool incremental update. Nice jump in processor speed, looks promising for iPhone 5!

Other than that, nothing really revolutionary (not that that was necessary), but I guess this does leave room for a new iPad 3 before the holiday season... Not saying it will, but it could. If Apple releases iOS5 before the holiday season that could be enough of a sales boost as well.

Then again, I think this iPad 2 is just meant to meet or exceed the coming competitors spec wise. Then, by the end of the year, Apple is going to blow them out of the water again using their sweet little component contracts Tim Cook is arranging as we speak.

I was pretty confident that we will see another update to the iPad this year but am a bit less convinced now. The reason: "2011 - Year of the iPad2"
  • Reply 306 of 417
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

How is it rushed? Flash will be available in a few weeks and the iPad 2 doesn't even offer an LTE option.

Let's go over your statement:

"Flash will be available in a few weeks... LTE option (when: in a few weeks - How: Box it up and send it away - but don't root it before hand)...

You have to wait for the features it purports to offer... but we won't know how any of this stuff works until that future time comes...

Hmmmmm.... sounds rushed to me...
  • Reply 307 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

The hardware is way ahead of the software for the ipad2. If the GPU is really 9x faster than the original ipad --- then it has enough horses to decode 1080p. But the ipad2 can only decode 720p.

Both the ipad and ipad2 sport a 25wh battery and dual core CPU is supposed to bring about better battery life --- but the ipad2 has the same battery life as the original ipad. The ipad2 should have a battery life of 12 hours instead of 10 hours --- if there is no support for flash. Hell, if all the talk about flash chopping Mac Air's battery life by a 1/3 --- then with the benefit of dual core and the benefit of "secret Apple battery technology", then Apple should be giving you a battery life of 8 hours (1/3 less than the 12 hour figure) with flash support on the ipad2.

I'm guessing that their new graphics chip is slurping up a bit more power.
  • Reply 308 of 417
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:

Flash will be available in a few weeks because moto left it out purposely IMO, to get the great reviews on record, to get the great battery life on paper, before Flash is installed and in tanks the system considerably.

Smart move IMO. Easy to push under the rug this way, this way, every review will always say it gets the same battery life as the ipad, or very close.

Every "tale of the tape" will say something to that effect.

I eagerly await the reviews of the XOOM running flash on big red's LTE network.

I'll put the over/under at 6 Hours vs the 9-10 its running at now.

I'll similarly give it its due and proper if it manages the features well.
  • Reply 309 of 417
    benalexebenalexe Posts: 30member
    Okay so which one to get? Verizon or AT&T? Does anyone know what the pricing plans are for the 3g?

Are they the same price? Is one better than the other?
  • Reply 310 of 417
    vesselvessel Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Have you actually used the device? Honeycomb is far superior to any other Android OS currently available. Check. Hardware is impressive. Check. Apps (specifically designed for Honeycomb). Well, lets just say that they're coming. On to the display. Certainly it has the highest resolution (among current tablets), but its not equal in pixel density and thus the colors don't exactly reproduce as well as they do on the iPad. Moreover, though the hardware specs are good, it is not without some drawbacks: it's heavier and thicker than the iPad (1 or 2); the power button and the speakers could have benefited from better placement, and the cameras, despite the higher megapixel count, do not take great shots; video-conferencing is also blurry and jerky. I don't say this from reading a review. I have actually used the device. I also currently own/use a Droid X. That said, the few things that people knock Apple for, such as the lack of widgets, are somewhat over-rated. I have four widgets on my Droid X and, frankly, other than the fact that they display certain info without the need to click on an app, the overall function isn't much different than an app, because most of the critical things I need to do still require me to click on the widget. Scrollable widgets are nice, though I have used few and few are well designed.

Most important, other than a few critical Google apps, such as Google Maps, few apps in the Android market can compete with the quality of those in the App Store, and there are almost zero third-party apps designed specifically for Honeycomb. A tablet without apps is like a performer without an act. Oh, I'm sure the apps will come, but they'll be behind by a year and probably lower in quality. App developers are not entirely happy with the Android Market and few, if any, are making money. This leads to less quality apps and fewer apps overall. Moto also needs a better strategy in regard to pricing and availability (i.e., no Wi-Fi- only or GSM versions available yet and not concrete date/s for when). Having only a VZW version to compete against a WiFi, CDMA, and GSM version, and lower price is poor planning at best and terrible strategy at worse. As to Honeycomb, it is better than the other Android operating systems, but that's about it. It's still not as refined, polished, or as smooth as iOS. It does handle notifications better and multitask more elegantly, but that's about it. It has some stability issue and some quirks. It feels like an OS trying to do too much and, thus, comes off as half-baked or rushed.
  • Reply 311 of 417
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    I just finished watching Steves special event keynot. I have to say, I am really impressed on multiple aspects. First of all, I was really happy to see Steves out and about, and looking as heathy as I saw him at the last key note. I assume what ever he did during his leave had a seizable positive effect. And then of course the new iPad!!! Can't waIt to get hold on it. Finally iMovie and Garageband on the iPad in an ever enhanced version and to a price that makes me think how on earth can they do that and still make profit.

I am so looking forward to try all this for myself.
  • Reply 312 of 417
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Availability dates of Flash have slipped before. Thus far its performance has not be overly impressive.

LTE isn't any faster than HSPA+. Why should Apple rush?

What I find funny is the two things that were mentioned the iPad 2 will not have. People around here act like Flash is not needed not all of a sudden they want to bring it up as an issue with other tablets. Apple should rush when it comes to LTE because they now offer and Verizon version of both their iPhone and iPad.
  • Reply 313 of 417
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I was pretty confident that we will see another update to the iPad this year but am a bit less convinced now. The reason: "2011 - Year of the iPad2"

If the only change was to double the resolution of the screen, could it still be considered (using a salesman's flexible semantics) an iPad2? They could sell boatloads of such a model during the gift-giving season, even at a higher price. And, if they have supplier agreements cornering the supply for the better screens, no competing tablet could match it. I haven't given up hope.
  • Reply 314 of 417
    Do we know for sure what the ram size is? Gizmodo is stating an apple employee told them 256 and thats why it isnt stated anyware. That would be the only thing holding me back. I would want atleast 512
  • Reply 315 of 417
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

What I find funny is the two things that were mentioned the iPad 2 will not have. People around here act like Flash is not needed not all of a sudden they want to bring it up as an issue with other tablets. Apple should rush when it comes to LTE because they now offer and Verizon version of both their iPhone and iPad.

The funnier thing is Motorola making Flash a big deal and include it in their specs sheet and marketing materials but end up selling their tablet without it. You wanna hear a funnier story?! You cannot view the Xoom website using the Xoom browser
  • Reply 316 of 417
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Do we know for sure what the ram size is? Gizmodo is stating an apple employee told them 256 and thats why it isnt stated anyware. That would be the only thing holding me back. I would want atleast 512

The 'word' is that the iPad 2 features:

512 MB RAM and the cameras are essentially the same ones utilized in the iPod Touch e.g. VGA (640x480) front and 0.92 Megapixels (1280x720) rear.
  • Reply 317 of 417
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

It still has no USB, HDMI, or SD ports (hard to believe Apple are [sic] still pushing ridiculous adapter cables).

to me it's hard to believe that the biggest complaint is the lack of ports. Good grief, with the current iPad I could plug in my camera, plug in anything else through the dock connector, and be on my way. I don't need or want the side of my tablet to look like a G-D PC with so many specialized ports. this is a tablet, folks, and I want it to be free of clutter, which means keeping the ports to a minimum. I'm surprised you don't want a VGA port so it will be backward-compatible with your last-century CRT display.

If you want ports, the iPad is not for you. Get over it.
  • Reply 318 of 417
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

Flash will be available in a few weeks because moto left it out purposely IMO, to get the great reviews on record, to get the great battery life on paper, before Flash is installed and in tanks the system considerably.

Smart move IMO. Easy to push under the rug this way, this way, every review will always say it gets the same battery life as the ipad, or very close.

Every "tale of the tape" will say something to that effect.

I eagerly await the reviews of the XOOM running flash on big red's LTE network.

I'll put the over/under at 6 Hours vs the 9-10 its running at now.

I'll similarly give it its due and proper if it manages the features well.

I don't think it has anything to do with Motorola. I think they pushed with Xoom in order to be "first in the row" (well, Honeycomb row obviously). Other big names I had opportunity to check - Samsung, Asus, Toshiba - are all planning their Honeycomb tablet(s) release in April, and I would not be surprised that they are actually waiting for Flash to be implemented in Honeycomb.
  • Reply 319 of 417
    n2macsn2macs Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Yikes. I sure hope iOS 5 has some major improvements to keep people happy until iPad 3 comes out.

Also, HDMI with a special $39 connector? How is that slick, convenient, or a good user experience. I hate carrying bags of connectors cables and dongles, and even more so with an ultra-portable.

It's a little dongle. Give me a break.
  • Reply 320 of 417
    n2macsn2macs Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

to me it's hard to believe that the biggest complaint is the lack of ports. Good grief, with the current iPad I could plug in my camera, plug in anything else through the dock connector, and be on my way. I don't need or want the side of my tablet to look like a G-D PC with so many specialized ports. this is a tablet, folks, and I want it to be free of clutter, which means keeping the ports to a minimum. I'm surprised you don't want a VGA port so it will be backward-compatible with your last-century CRT display.

If you want ports, the iPad is not for you. Get over it.

I agree!