Apple announces iPad 2 with new design, faster A5 processor

Comments

• Reply 321 of 417
    n2macsn2macs Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Do we know for sure what the ram size is? Gizmodo is stating an apple employee told them 256 and thats why it isnt stated anyware. That would be the only thing holding me back. I would want atleast 512

Who cares what the ram is? The iPad does what it is designed to do very well. It's not a PC.
  • Reply 322 of 417
    n2macsn2macs Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I'm surprised they didn't use the Gobi chip in the iPad2 - maybe there is not enough room after it's been slimmed down.

The iPad uses cellular wireless. The Providers have different networks. Maybe the networks should all be the same frequency? It's not about the phones!
  • Reply 323 of 417
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennieb View Post

I want to be able to directly connect a USB flash drive to the iPad itself. Our campus is without WiFi and if I need to be able to upload something from one computer to another then this is the easiest way. If you have a useful suggestion, I am all for it, as I was really hoping to get the new version!!

Um, how about plugging it into your computer and transfer that way? Or get an adapter that doesn't come with a long cable. Google is your friend (to search for things like this).
  • Reply 324 of 417
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Actually, it's a toy when you need it to be a toy.

Yah, I was thinking... 2x CPU speed and up to 9x GPU speed will not help much in reading books or emails, but can make a hell of a difference in games!
  • Reply 325 of 417
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennieb View Post

I want to be able to directly connect a USB flash drive to the iPad itself. Our campus is without WiFi and if I need to be able to upload something from one computer to another then this is the easiest way. If you have a useful suggestion, I am all for it, as I was really hoping to get the new version!!

Dropbox, 3G
  • Reply 326 of 417
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

How is it rushed? Flash will be available in a few weeks and the iPad 2 doesn't even offer an LTE option.

You're on the wrong page, my friend. Nobody gives a flying f*** about Flash anymore. Millions of iPad 1 users can't all be wrong.

If you want Flash, by all means sit around and wait for the Xoom's update. Then sit around waiting for the battery to recharge after ten minutes of drainage by Flash ads on some site.

Get over it. The iPad does not and will not have Flash and that's just the way it is and it's the way many of us prefer it. And what's LTE got to do with anything?
  • Reply 327 of 417
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

How is it rushed? Flash will be available in a few weeks and the iPad 2 doesn't even offer an LTE option.

Unless you put the $300 you save by buying the WiFi version towards buying an LTE pocket WiFi and using that.
  • Reply 328 of 417
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

You're on the wrong page, my friend. Nobody gives a flying f*** about Flash anymore. Millions of iPad 1 users can't all be wrong.

Hold your horses, mate. I'm yet to see an iPad among my friends, and major reasons for that are necessity of iTunes and lack of Flash.

I agree that one can live without Flash if one chooses to, but saying that nobody wants it because millions of iPad are sold is a bit of overstatement. Those millions are really nothing compared to potential market.
  • Reply 329 of 417
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

If the only change was to double the resolution of the screen, could it still be considered (using a salesman's flexible semantics) an iPad2? They could sell boatloads of such a model during the gift-giving season, even at a higher price. And, if they have supplier agreements cornering the supply for the better screens, no competing tablet could match it. I haven't given up hope.

I agree. If it happens, I see a premium model priced higher sitting atop the rest of the iPads. The higher price would temper demand while the work to improve display yields. I have not completely lost hope but iPad2 HD doesn't sound right to me either.
  • Reply 330 of 417
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dimitrir View Post

Dual core CPU sounds like a marketing gimmick - since, unlike Android, iOS cannot multitask, second core will just sit there idle all the time.

You really shouldn't use technical terms like "dual core" and "multitask" if you have no idea what they mean. Which obviously you don't.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

in which case, presumably, 5.1 lossy audio will be down sampled to stereo for playback via the iPad 2 speaker(s).

although the HDMI specification (version 1.0 and above) supports 1080p video, i suspect the iPad 2 will still be limited to 720p output.

Actually, I believe iTunes movies have both a 5.1 and stereo tracks, so no need to down sample the 5.1 audio.

Also, Apple's web site says, "HDMI-compatible display in up to 1080p HD (movies play at up to 720p)". So it has 1080p, but it's unclear how it achieves that. Does it scale up the 1024x768 display, or does it re-render it at 1080p? This can make a big difference when viewing still photos.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...co=MTc5OTU4MjA

Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Higher resolution cameras in portable devices are gimmicks. Higher resolution only makes sense for bigger lenses. Read about the megapixel myth to find out. The iPhone 4 and iPad 2 are in exactly the sweet spot. And you can print even A3 sizes with an iPhone 4. Try it. I have.

Actually, Apple doesn't list the resolution of the rear camera. In all likelihood, it's the same camera as in the iPod touch. 0.9 megapixel, which mean it's limited to 720p resolution, even for still photos. That's not even sufficient to print a 4x6. But in general you are correct about the megapixel myth. Give me 3-5 high-quality megapixels over 10 crappy megapixels any day.
  • Reply 331 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n2macs View Post

The iPad uses cellular wireless. The Providers have different networks. Maybe the networks should all be the same frequency? It's not about the phones!

The Gobi chip provides CDMA and GSM/UMTS baseband - it is what they are using in the Verizon iPhone. I'm guessing they could not fit it into the slimmed-down enclosure (since Apple likes to maximize its use of common parts).

Most carriers use the same frequencies with a few odd-balls like T-Mobile US.
  • Reply 332 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Unless you put the $300 you save by buying the WiFi version towards buying an LTE pocket WiFi and using that.

You dont save 300.00. Youe keep comparing a 32GB Tablet with a 16GB Tablet.
  • Reply 333 of 417
    Quote:

If you want Flash, by all means sit around and wait for the Xoom's update. Then sit around waiting for the battery to recharge after ten minutes of drainage by Flash ads on some site.

Get over it. The iPad does not and will not have Flash and that's just the way it is and it's the way many of us prefer it. And what's LTE got to do with anything?

Found this today:

Quote:

A whopping 63 percent of all videos on the Web are now HTML5-compatible, compared to only 10 percent just a year ago, according to video-sharing site Mefeedia. Instead of relying solely on Flash to display their videos, many more Web sites are adopting video formats that can run directly in HTML5-compatible browsers.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20038308-93.html
  • Reply 334 of 417
    Quote:

Well my friend Flash is far from dead. Keep hearing on this forum that Flash is but its still all over the place. Also if you are going to comment on a subject at least follow what we are talking about. My point was others always say Flash is dead are now making it an issue that its not available on the Xoom. So they need to make up their mind either Flash is an issue or not , they can't change their mind based on the device.

What does LTE have to do with anything? Are you serious? You do know that the iPad and iPhone are now with Verison don't you?
  • Reply 335 of 417
    Quote:

Well my friend Flash is far from dead. Keep hearing on this forum that Flash is but its still all over the place. Also if you are going to comment on a subject at least follow what we are talking about. My point was others always say Flash is dead are now making it an issue that its not available on the Xoom. So they need to make up their mind either Flash is an issue or not , they can't change their mind based on the device.

I think the point they are making is that Flash is used by Motorola as a selling point for the Xoom but that it is not actually available. It probably would not be much of an issue except that mobile Flash projects seem to be always delayed.
  • Reply 336 of 417
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

to me it's hard to believe that the biggest complaint is the lack of ports. Good grief, with the current iPad I could plug in my camera, plug in anything else through the dock connector, and be on my way. I don't need or want the side of my tablet to look like a G-D PC with so many specialized ports. this is a tablet, folks, and I want it to be free of clutter, which means keeping the ports to a minimum. I'm surprised you don't want a VGA port so it will be backward-compatible with your last-century CRT display.

If you want ports, the iPad is not for you. Get over it.

I still say another tiny hole or two beats a buncha fugly, tangled, easily-misplaced, overpriced, dingle-dangle dongles all hangin' outta the bottom and switching adapters to switch devices.

If I'm writing docs or editing pics, I wanna print 'em. Upload from my cam. Display on my HDTV or monitor. Listen on my better speakers. Charge. Sync. (Bluetooth will do for the keyboard - which I'm gonna have 'cos I write alot.)

And with all the productivity, photo-editing, music and other apps on the iPad, you're telling me the iPad - which can be used and transported in so many ways - is not for me? Who made you commissar of iPad needs? (Well, Steve and Ives are that, I guess - you're just a proxy for "the Apple Way." I mean you won, I lost. But I shall continue to rant nonetheless. If only for the hell of it. Which means I may be starting to understand Apple Insider forum speak.)

I understand that TBolt's not gonna happen because the iPad isn't a PCI-E device, but I can't believe including a single USB port and maybe an HDMI is either a technical hurdle or that costly. And that USB port would work with every peripheral I have. Including charging (and transferring media from) my cell phone and cam (and, blush, charging my e-cigarette battery) with a minimum of bricks (and adapter cables) in my bag, i.e., one for my iPad.

(PS: After the first 10 minutes I wasn't planning to spend a lot of hours looking at the side to see if it looks "cluttered.")

Anyway, I think that would look less ungainly and cobbled together than what we got. Oh well.
  • Reply 337 of 417
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

This from a guy who bought 3 (or is it 9) Samsung Galaxy Tabs because they are perfect...

I thought it was so he had plenty of backups to ensure he had at least one working one on hand at any time
  • Reply 338 of 417
    jsk173jsk173 Posts: 42member
    The iPad 2 looks awesome, but $130 for the 3G chip still seems excessive. It seems like the 3G buyers are helping Apple subsidize the $499 price for the WiFi-only buyers.
  • Reply 339 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I'm almost surprised you're not complaining that they don't sell a case for the case, so the case doesn't get scratched...

No kidding. This fetish for cases and keeping devices in pristine condition always amazes me.

Hell if you never take it out of the box it will last longer and be worth more to resell later too! It's not a freaking Star Wars doll from the '70s or a comic book, it's a mobile device that is designed to be used and abused!

Talk about being possessed by your possessions...
  • Reply 340 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Personally, I only have ONE disappointment, which is that GPS chips are still exclusive to the 3G models.

The TomTom car kit works with the iPad with an iPod dock extender cable.

But for the cost of dock and cable you could just get the WiFi model. But if you have the TomTom car kit, a $20 extender cable will hook you up!