New iPad 2 dock revealed; Apple offers $100 refund to recent iPad buyers

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Customers who bought a first-generation iPad in the last two weeks can opt to return their device to Apple, or request a $100 refund, now that the iPad 2 has been announced. Also, the company will release a new dock designed to fit the smaller form factor of the iPad 2, though no new keyboard dock has been shown.

As first reported by Electricpig.co.uk, Apple will refund the price difference to anyone who has their original purchase receipt and makes the request in the company's standard 14-day return window. With the iPad 2 announced on Wednesday, that would mean buyers as far back as Wednesday, Feb. 16 would be eligible.

Of course, with the purchase also within the 14-day return window, customers could also opt to return the first-generation iPad entirely. For the same original purchase price, those buyers could wait for the iPad 2 to go on sale on March 11, as the second-generation device has the same six price points as the first iPad.

Though the iPad 2 starts at $499 for the 16GB Wi-Fi-only model, like its predecessor, Apple on Wednesday began to clear its inventory of last year's model. With the old iPad now on clearance from Apple, the starting price has dropped by $100, meaning customers can buy the 16GB Wi-Fi-only model for just $399.

Following yesterday's iPad 2 announcement, Apple also updated its official accessories page for the iPad to feature new products designed specifically for the second-generation device. Among them is a new dock made to fit the new, thinner profile of the iPad 2.

"This sleek dock stand is your personal hub for all things iPad," the product description reads. It is not yet available for order. "Get easy access to a port for syncing or charging, and an audio line out port for connecting to powered speakers via an optional audio cable. The iPad 2 Dock also supports other accessories, such as the Apple Digital AV Adapter and the iPad Camera Connection Kit."

Both the iPad 2 dock and the Smart Cover are new products designed for the second-generation device. The company on Wednesday also announced a new HDMI adapter that will allow 1080p output from the iPad 2, but the $39 "Digital AV Adapter" will also support 720p video output on the iPhone 4, fourth-generation iPod touch, and first-generation iPad.

Unchanged accessories from the first iPad include the Camera Connector, SD Card Reader, Apple Wireless Keyboard, Apple VGA Adapter, iPad 10W USB Power Adapter and more. Unlisted on the official accessories page is a keyboard dock designed to fit the iPad 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    The refund is actually quite generous. Apple's learned from past experience that, even though they are by no means obliged to offer such a refund, it's simply more trouble than it's worth NOT to appease people.

Everyone knows that today's tech wonder is tomorrow's doorstop, yet people still complain when their Great New Thing becomes Old News. Of course, now the people who bought their iPads FIFTEEN days ago will complain mightily. And so it goes.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I thought you could return it within 14 days.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    pennywsepennywse Posts: 155member
    Not many other companies [in the world] would allow for this type of 'return' or 'refund' for products that work as intended, but nonetheless people will rail against Apple calling foul. HOW DARE THEY RELEASE a new iPad 2 after I just bought an iPad 1.

... and the world keeps turning!
  • Reply 4 of 43
    3goldens3goldens Posts: 34member
    the first dock sucked so badly I dont know why in the world anyone would ever get this one!

and $100 refund are they kidding?
  • Reply 5 of 43
    To be fair, not all people follow techmedia that closely. The first widespread firm report i heard was on the BBC last week, when apple sent out the press invites. Good move on Apple thougth.

Anyway. The dock seems to be a lot nicer IMO (althougth i dont spend ages looking at iPAD docks - honest )
  • Reply 6 of 43
    11thindian11thindian Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

the first dock sucked so badly I dont know why in the world anyone would ever get this one!

Kidding about what? You can either return your iPad1 entirely and wait for iPad2 in a week, OR if you want to keep the one you've got, you can retroactively get the $100 discount they just started offering yesterday.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I thought you could return it within 14 days.

Within the first paragraph of the article it states:

Quote:

Customers who bought a first-generation iPad in the last two weeks can opt to return their device to Apple, or request a $100 refund, now that the iPad 2 has been announced.

• Reply 8 of 43
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Within the first paragraph of the article it states:

i think his point is that the option to return within 14 days is already standard, they're not doing anyone any extra favors. The $100 rebate isn't really much of a favor either, since I'm already entitled to return my $499 ipad then I can just buy another one for the new $399 price. The point of this whole thing is to simply clarify the options already available to customers.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

Have any reason to say that beyond trolling or...?

Quote:

No. Kidding would be taking anything you say seriously.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    The biggest reason I will be getting iPad 2 is for the magnetic cover. Is an amazing idea.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    From a purely objective standpoint, I have never seen better customer service than through Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    yodieyodie Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

i think his point is that the option to return within 14 days is already standard, they're not doing anyone any extra favors. The $100 rebate isn't really much of a favor either, since I'm already entitled to return my $499 ipad then I can just buy another one for the new $399 price. The point of this whole thing is to simply clarify the options already available to customers.

Minus a restocking fee if you opened your iPad and plus the hassle. Also, engraved iPads can't be returned at all.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yodie View Post

Minus a restocking fee if you opened your iPad and plus the hassle. Also, engraved iPads can't be returned at all.

No restocking fee on the return, that's kind of the point, you could always return anything within 14 days, this is no restocking fee return, or 100 back, personally I'd just wait return it for the new one.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    I realize it wouldn't be part of the money making machine, but why not put the HDMI output, SD card reader (and why not CF, too), audio ports, etc., all on the docking connector. I guess there is an opportunity for a third-party supplier here.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I realize it wouldn't be part of the money making machine, but why not put the HDMI output, SD card reader (and why not CF, too), audio ports, etc., all on the docking connector. I guess there is an opportunity for a third-party supplier here.

It would be huge?
  • Reply 16 of 43
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yodie View Post

This is very true. It's basically a retroactive cost reduction to move inventory. If you got it engraved, it's basically weird for anyone else. I think Apple is being pretty darn awesome about this.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Does anyone know whether or not the "mirror display" on a TV screen is only for iPad 2, or whether it will work on the current iPad.

With this functionality, there is absolutely no need to have both Apple TV and an iPad.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

The biggest reason I will be getting iPad 2 is for the magnetic cover. Is an amazing idea.

Seriously?
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Anybody want to buy an iPad 1 keyboard doc? It's frustrating enough to replace your iPad, but to have to replace your peripherals as well, that's just getting on my nerves.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Asked myself the same question. Maybe it's because the dock connector can only support one function at a time. The fact that you can only charge and not sync the iPad via the HDMI adapter's dock connector is a further indication.

So it can either act USB host, SD Card reader or video-out at any one time.

Is the new iPad dock compatible with the old one and vice versa?