Gartner lowers PC sales forecast, says Apple's iPad 'redefining' computing

2456

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post


    IMovie demo was absolutely mind blowing. For a regular user there is really not much more in terms of features that one might want. Honestly since I only do home movie type stuff I may transition to iPad and do edits right on the spot or soon after, at least the basic stuff.



    I too am very much looking forward to iMovie on the iPad. One thing that concerns me though is whether it only works with clips recorded with the iPad or if you can copy over clips recorded with some other video camera. Surely they wouldn't constrain such a beautiful piece of software in that way. How does the iPhone 4 version of iMovie work in that regard?
  • Reply 22 of 114
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orange whip View Post


    agreed- perhaps the debate would be less contentious if it were centred around the question of whether or not the average user, who principally consumes media only requires a device like an iPad. The iPad does what 95%(number picked for dramatic affect ) of 'computer' users actually do. Content creators on the other hand obviously need appropriate tools - being the 'PC' (for the moment that is until Apple redefine that space as well)



    The new Garageband and iMovie for iPad have already been mentioned, but even if they didn't exist I think this "consumption" vs. "creation" distinction is no more explanatory than the threadbare "PC or not PC" argument. If I'm reading a book on my iPad, is this a "media consumption" activity? How about posting to this board? Writing or reading e-mail? The meanings of these terms break down almost before they come out of your mouth. They are truly arbitrary, in the same way as the other overworked terms used to describe what the iPad is or isn't.
  • Reply 23 of 114
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,902member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post


    I was super impressed by the new iPad GargeBand - I'll make a final judgement when I see it in person, but it looks great. It's a symbol of the many advantages the iPad has over PCs. Is the iOS GarageBand as purely powerful as the one in iLife? Probably not. But can a notebook turn into a virtual drumset or turntable with touch controls? Nope!



    Maybe I'm being shortsighted, but it would be REALLY cool to use the iPad as a user input device for professional level apps. For example, if my iPad and Mac Pro are on the same network, I can tell the Mac Pro what to do through my iPad. Cutting clips in Final Cut Pro, for example, would be so much more fun and easy with touch controls. Then all of the heavy rendering and moving around of gigabytes of files is done by the Mac Pro. This would also allow you to do these complex tasks on the road, without bringing your computer everywhere.



    What do you guys think



    I'm sure a lot of this is going to happen. I already use my iPad with Photoshop as an extra WiFi monitor. I can even draw on the iPad screen in PS. There are apps that allow you to do work on files such as CAD (from Autodesk) and bring them in and out of the main program. IMovie is a good example of what we'll see in movie editing.



    I was just disappointed that they didn't bring iPhoto to the iPad 2 (yet!). Not that I use it, but it would have been another good example as iMovie and GarageBand are.



    I would have loved it if they brought Aperture over. Maybe someday. It would spur Adobe to get Lightroom there as well, though I do believe they are investigating that now.
  • Reply 24 of 114
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,019member
    People will still buy PCs. Why? Because you still need one to update/backup your iPad
  • Reply 25 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post


    That's one of the things that makes it better than a PC.



    Originally Posted by island hermit

    The iPad can't be a PC... it doesn't have Flash!





    I think he meant to be sarcastic.....
  • Reply 26 of 114
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,902member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stovepiper View Post


    I too am very much looking forward to iMovie on the iPad. One thing that concerns me though is whether it only works with clips recorded with the iPad or if you can copy over clips recorded with some other video camera. Surely they wouldn't constrain such a beautiful piece of software in that way. How does the iPhone 4 version of iMovie work in that regard?



    You can copy Clips over. I've read that you can bring them over with the camera connection kit, and likely you can do so in iTunes the way you can bring things into the iPad now. I imagine you can bring things out that way as well, using iTunes that is. I don't know if Apple is expanding the connection kit to allow transfers out, which would be cool.



    But there are devices on the market now that allow this to be done.
  • Reply 27 of 114
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post


    IMovie demo was absolutely mind blowing. For a regular user there is really not much more in terms of features that one might want. Honestly since I only do home movie type stuff I may transition to iPad and do edits right on the spot or soon after, at least the basic stuff.



    Ditto.



    Seeing what can be done via iMovie and Garageband, there is no doubt that we may be well soon getting iPad apps that virtually replace the need for power programs such as Microsoft Office and the Adobe Suite as they stand now. And that goes for Apples' pro software, e.g., Final Cut, Logic and Aperature.



    As I have said before, connect a Bluetooth keyboard and a large monitor, all we really need then is a touchpad so we don't have to rely on tiring ourselves out reaching across the screen to click a button, resize an image or place the cursor.



    If anything, and unlike some other, we are past just touching the surface.
  • Reply 28 of 114
    The game changer hasn't happened yet. iPad needs to be truly independent of a computer. And that means unshackling it from iTunes. Giving it the power to configure a WiFi router. Enabling it to access the iTunes store and App store directly through WiFi or 3G.



    Apple can make worthwhile changes with the 2012 update, like doubling the flash storage and doubling the screen resolution, but without unshackling it from PC-based iTunes it won't have truly redefined computing. And that's a dangerous step for Apple as well as for everyone else. Until that step is taken, it's basically an iPod touch with a usable screen.
  • Reply 29 of 114
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,902member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    The new Garageband and iMovie for iPad have already been mentioned, but even if they didn't exist I think this "consumption" vs. "creation" distinction is no more explanatory than the threadbare "PC or not PC" argument. If I'm reading a book on my iPad, is this a "media consumption" activity? How about posting to this board? Writing or reading e-mail? The meanings of these terms break down almost before they come out of your mouth. They are truly arbitrary, in the same way as the other overworked terms used to describe what the iPad is or isn't.



    I absolutely wish they would drop the word "media" from the beginning of the description. While it's very possible that other products will be media tablets for some while, until a decent number of good production, business, etc. apps of various types come out, it's not true of the iPad, and hasn't been since shortly after it appeared.
  • Reply 30 of 114
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,902member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post


    People will still buy PCs. Why? Because you still need one to update/backup your iPad



    For how much longer?
  • Reply 31 of 114
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post


    First off, for what it is, the ipad and ipad 2 are very cool, that said, is anyone else alarmed about how fast people seem to be saying that this is the new computing? these "tablet and smartphones will kill PC" talk frighten me, there is no openness on these devices: can you run browser addins like noscript or adblock on android or IOS? can you change the default web browser? the default email client?



    The lock peice also bugs me. if I buyu hardware, I dont want to be told what network it can or cannot connect to arbitrarily, I dont want my vendor or acrrier blocking updates and such...imagine if Comcast could say "we dont want you to have feature x of OSX or Windows 7" and they could force you to not have that piece, that would never stand, yet we take it in phones and tablets? why?



    Let me get this straight ... you are frightened by this? Based on what historical fact is your fear justified?
  • Reply 32 of 114
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,902member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post


    If anything, and unlike some other, we are past just touching the surface.



    Heh! Good one!
  • Reply 33 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post


    Ditto.



    Seeing what can be done via iMovie and Garageband, there is no doubt that we may be well soon getting iPad apps that virtually replace the need for power programs such as Microsoft Office and the Adobe Suite as they stand now. And that goes for Apples' pro software, e.g., Final Cut, Logic and Aperature.



    As I have said before, connect a Bluetooth keyboard and a large monitor, all we really need then is a touchpad so we don't have to rely on tiring ourselves out reaching across the screen to click a button, resize an image or place the cursor.



    If anything, and unlike some other, we are past just touching the surface.



    If the iTunes uncoupling I call for actually happens, this will be another big development with the iPad. Currently, it's truly astonishing how bloated and inefficient the major power applications have become. You've got little desktop gizmos that could have run on a Commodore 64 requiring megabytes of hard drive space. The iPad represents an opportunity to get back to truly efficient programming.
  • Reply 34 of 114
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,270member
    A large iPod Touch killed the Netbook.
  • Reply 35 of 114
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,902member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post


    The game changer hasn't happened yet. iPad needs to be truly independent of a computer. And that means unshackling it from iTunes. Giving it the power to configure a WiFi router. Enabling it to access the iTunes store and App store directly through WiFi or 3G.



    Apple can make worthwhile changes with the 2012 update, like doubling the flash storage and doubling the screen resolution, but without unshackling it from PC-based iTunes it won't have truly redefined computing. And that's a dangerous step for Apple as well as for everyone else. Until that step is taken, it's basically an iPod touch with a usable screen.



    No, it's still a lot more than that. While needing a computer for updates to the OS, and most, but not all, backups, it's annoying, but not fatal. I only sync every few days or so. That's not being tied to my computer. And I don't find iTunes to be a hinderance.



    You're thinking in the old ways when you want to get rid of iTunes here. I think of iTunes as being one of the best features of this. It's what makes things so easy.



    It won't take the place of my Mac Pro for, as Steve says, the heavy lifting, but I'm using it more and more for more things I would be sitting in front of my computer for.
  • Reply 36 of 114
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    The new Garageband and iMovie for iPad have already been mentioned, but even if they didn't exist I think this "consumption" vs. "creation" distinction is no more explanatory than the threadbare "PC or not PC" argument. If I'm reading a book on my iPad, is this a "media consumption" activity? How about posting to this board? Writing or reading e-mail? The meanings of these terms break down almost before they come out of your mouth. They are truly arbitrary, in the same way as the other overworked terms used to describe what the iPad is or isn't.



    Once again, the Dr. is right on...
  • Reply 37 of 114
    jozsoojozsoo Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post


    A tribute to INXS



    Its the end of the World (Microsoft)

    as we know it

    and I Feeeeeeel fine!



    yipeeee



    Actually, R.E.M.
  • Reply 38 of 114
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I absolutely wish they would drop the word "media" from the beginning of the description. While it's very possible that other products will be media tablets for some while, until a decent number of good production, business, etc. apps of various types come out, it's not true of the iPad, and hasn't been since shortly after it appeared.



    I might agree, but I'm not sure. The makers of these products (Apple included) do tend to lapse into buzzword compliance and to drop vague but loaded terms such as "media," but I don't see where this has any impact on what the device actually does. For one, I find Keynote on the iPad to be a first rate business app, if using it to make presentations instead of a laptop is included in this category. I've even done some writing with Pages on the iPad, though if I was to make a frequent practice of it, I'd probably invest in a physical keyboard. Anyhow, from yesterday's presentation I see Apple pointing a big neon sign towards a future they're calling the "post-PC era." I'm not sure what this landscape will look like, but I'm more than ready to move on from the place we've been for too long.
  • Reply 39 of 114
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    With Android updating over the air. I've been asking what happens if you are updating your OS OTA and something goes wrong.



    I have a friend with a Moto Droid where this did happen. He ended up plugging his phone into a computer and reloading the entire OS and all of his apps and information. He didn't have an iTunes so it was a total pain in the ass for him.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post


    The game changer hasn't happened yet. iPad needs to be truly independent of a computer.



  • Reply 40 of 114
    Although I'm sure INXS is flattered by your reference as any publicity is good publicity, that song is actually by REM. Sorry. I was a child of the 80's.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post


    A tribute to INXS



    Its the end of the World (Microsoft)

    as we know it

    and I Feeeeeeel fine!



    yipeeee



Sign In or Register to comment.