Apple's A5 CPU in iPad 2 has 512MB of RAM, same as iPhone 4 - report

Comments

• Reply 201 of 266
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    What development tools are you talking about? The HDMI out simply mirrors whats on the screen. Developers don't need to do anything for that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Third party developers don't need Apple to present them with an actual ipad2 in order for the developers to start coding. What they need is the development TOOLS.

• Reply 202 of 266
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The Playbook is an entirely different story from the Xoom. At least the Xoom has a launch date, when are they actually going to ship the Playbook?

And an interesting take on developing apps for the Playbook.

You win. I concede defeat. I no longer want to attempt developing an app for the Playbook.

They are ALL rushing to get the tablets launched. Apple has the luxury of dropping features from the initial launch to a later date.
  • Reply 203 of 266
    Quote:

What development tools are you talking about? The HDMI out simply mirrors whats on the screen. Developers don't need to do anything for that.

IOS 4.3 beta 1 didn't come out to developers until middle of January.

You are mixing the 2 arguments up. I said that the 9x faster GPU has the power to decode 1080p --- but Apple's own codec team probably didn't have the time to code their decoder to take advantage of the new GPU hardware to give you 1080p decode.
  • Reply 204 of 266
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

They are ALL rushing to get the tablets launched. Apple has the luxury of dropping features from the initial launch to a later date.

What features did Apple drop?

Quote:

You are mixing the 2 arguments up. I said that the 9x faster GPU has the power to decode 1080p --- but Apple's own codec team probably didn't have the time to code their decoder to take advantage of the new GPU hardware to give you 1080p decode.

The hardware has the capability to decode 1080P. But so far Apple has not implemented anything in the software that takes advantage of that capability. So for right now there is nothing specific for developers to do.

Its likely that you are jumping the gun on all of this. And that Apple will introduce some new features with iOS 5.
  • Reply 205 of 266
    Quote:

What features did Apple drop?

The hardware has the capability to decode 1080P. But so far Apple has not implemented anything in the software that takes advantage of that capability. So for right now there is nothing specific for developers to do.

Its likely that you are jumping the gun on all of this. And that Apple will introduce some new features with iOS 5.

I said that Apple has the luxury of dropping software features.

You think that the lack 1080p decoding is because Apple wants to put that feature in iOS 5 --- Apple also has the option of charging wifi ipad users for upgrading to iOS 5.
  • Reply 206 of 266
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

One more thought.

Apparently, Android developers are not [as] concerned with memory management because Android provides Garbage Collection to detect, locate and free memory no longer used by the app. The iOS developer is responsible for memory management.

Many will argue that this is not an issue because modern Garbage Collection schemes are quite efficient -- and can theoretically outperform manual memory management.

I have no links/citations, but, I have read that there are periodic, noticeable performance hits with Android due to pauses/jitters related to Garbage Collection.

If GC is poorly implemented on Android, one way to compensate is to throw hardware at the problem. (In mainframe parlance: "There is no substitute for Cubic Inches").

So, it may be to support equivalent capability/performance an app on the iPad requires less RAM (and other hardware) than on Android.

I also think the PlayBook approach to addressing Flash & UI issues is to throw hardware at the problem.

IMO, this the exact opposite approach than should be used in the power/weight/battery constraints of a mobile device.

'Zactly!

As for GC, if you are careful you can pretty much make it a non-issue. But is painful and not particularly good for programmer productivity to always be worried about GC and designing/implementing it away. Thus we usually see the naive Java application implementations with warts.
  • Reply 207 of 266
    I ain't getting me one.
  • Reply 208 of 266
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

It's what you described first, I had hundreds of thousands of created texts files, created through the years. These do not included those of the applications. I used to "rebuild" then, supposedly as a good practice to avoid fragmentation.

I do not even know how many mmore text, images and all sorts of files I have now, a lot of them are also stored in the internet. I am now in my second external disk drive (more than 1 Terrabyte) on top of the internal drive. I don't even do systematic backup because it could easily increase the size by several fold.

So, I am not sure if the issue of random storage still happens in the OSX.

CGC

Stop right now and back up!!!

Really. Stop. Back up.

Your hard drives will stop working. That's what they do. There's no hard drives never stop working. You need data on at least two drives so that when one stops working the other drive will still have your data. Hard drives stop working somewhere between the time they are first turned on, and sometime after that.

I think you confused rebuilding the desktop database with defragmenting a hard drive. Those are two different things. Rebuilding the desktop database was done in OS 9 and earlier and was a separate issue from disk fragmentation.

Disk fragmentation still happens in OS X, but under normal use, it's not a consideration. OS X automatically defragments on the fly (re-allocating files that are 20MB or less). If there's enough free space on the drive (and it's HFS+), it won't fragment at all.

Did I mention that you should back up your hard drives?

Always buy your hard drives in pairs (at least). TimeMachine is wonderful, but so are tools like Carbon Copy Cloner.
  • Reply 209 of 266
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

You think that the lack 1080p decoding is because Apple wants to put that feature in iOS 5 --- Apple also has the option of charging wifi ipad users for upgrading to iOS 5.

What software features did they drop, that there's actually some evidence that they did, not just your wild conspiracy theories?

As usual, you're talking bullshit, samab.
  • Reply 210 of 266
    Prediction:

iPad2 faster in real world tests than Xoom

iPad2 significantly faster in real world browsing tests once Xoom gets it's Flash enabling update, and web pages have animated advertisements everywhere. That's the only reason the Xoom appears snappy now...
  • Reply 211 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

What software features did they drop, that there's actually some evidence that they did, not just your wild conspiracy theories?

As usual, you're talking bullshit, samab.

I think that it is reasonable to consider the lack of 1080p video playing at launch (for a device with the hardware power to do so) --- a feature slip.

You can disagree with me on the merit of my argument, but don't take personal shots at me for no reason.
  • Reply 212 of 266
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

I think that it is reasonable to consider the lack of 1080p video playing at launch (for a device with the hardware power to do so) --- a feature slip.

You can disagree with me on the merit of my argument, but don't take personal shots at me for no reason.

Utter nonsense. Unless you have some evidence that 1080p video playing, which is a pointless feature, was actually planned, it's not reasonable at all to call it a feature slip. Your arguments not only don't have any merit, they aren't even arguments, just fictional claims.

And, I'm not taking personal shots. I'm just pointing out the truth that you are simply making stuff. Bullshit is the best word there is for that.
  • Reply 213 of 266
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

If you don't think that iOS can get by on less memory, just try running your mac with only 256 megs of ram (or even 512 for that matter).

My first Mac only had 1 meg of RAM - and it still works!

Now get of my lawn!

• Reply 214 of 266
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Stop right now and back up!!!

Really. Stop. Back up.

Your hard drives will stop working. That's what they do. There's no hard drives never stop working. You need data on at least two drives so that when one stops working the other drive will still have your data. Hard drives stop working somewhere between the time they are first turned on, and sometime after that.

I think you confused rebuilding the desktop database with defragmenting a hard drive. Those are two different things. Rebuilding the desktop database was done in OS 9 and earlier and was a separate issue from disk fragmentation.

Disk fragmentation still happens in OS X, but under normal use, it's not a consideration. OS X automatically defragments on the fly (re-allocating files that are 20MB or less). If there's enough free space on the drive (and it's HFS+), it won't fragment at all.

Did I mention that you should back up your hard drives?

Always buy your hard drives in pairs (at least). TimeMachine is wonderful, but so are tools like Carbon Copy Cloner.

No, I have not done any refragmentation or rebuilding with my new computer. I have not backed up yet though, I should do this soon. I did not have a chance to buy the extra disk yet though.

I have to systematize the folders in my two external disks first though.

CGC
  • Reply 215 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Well BS that we need to get this info from a fourth party. Further it is BS in the sense that Apple does publish many specs for the iPads but prefers to screw over the consummer with respect to this one important parameter.

RAM is very important, if Apple has stayed with 256MB the upgrade would be worthless. From the day it debuted iPad one has suffered from the lack of RAM.

Well then how much RAM is sufficient?
  • Reply 216 of 266
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darwiniandude View Post

Prediction:

iPad2 significantly faster in real world browsing tests once Xoom gets it's Flash enabling update, and web pages have animated advertisements everywhere. That's the only reason the Xoom appears snappy now...

I'd wager that they are both pretty fast. I'd also wager that any difference in speed is negligible anyway. I think it all boils down to preference. I'm quite pleased with the marriage between software and hardware that we all love and expect from Apple. I love the emphasis on aesthetics as well as functionality and beautiful software.

People like you and I comprehend the difference between dual core processors and flash storage. But my mom for example, doesn't give a rat's ass about those things. All she considers is what this device can do. Apple is clear about it's capabilities. You can choose from 65,000 apps - You can FaceTime, PhotoBooth, it has 10 hours of battery life, you can make movies with iMovie, record and play music with GarageBand, browse the web etc.

Apple's appeal is to a much broader audience - people just like my mom or my grandmother. Even corporations - When you hear about tablet adoptions rates in Fortune 100 companies, it's always about the iPad. Apple will go on to sell millions of these while many of their competitors will be DOA - and it's their own fault. Instead of highlighting the inherit features of their respective devices, they're too busy boasting about processor speed and HDMI ports - things the average consumer may know nothing about.
  • Reply 217 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Uh, they trumpet the new "dual core 1GHz" A5 chip on the front page of the iPad site, and list basically all of the tech specs under "Tech Specs", except RAM - probably because it's the one area from a hardware standpoint that another device (ie Xoom) clearly outdoes it. Plus the fact that Xoom can both play and output 1080p content while the iPad can digitally output 1080p but can only actually play 720p (cleverly presented by Apple, i must say).

Anyways, Apple is all about the user experience, so until Android makes some serious improvements that get it up to the level of the iTunes ecosystem, hardware is something of a moot point...

"... get it up to the level of the iTunes ecosystem " You're joking, right? iTune is the most complicated, unintuitive application I have ever used. I would buy my parents iPad if it weren't for iTunes. Apple needs to figure a way to do without this dinosaur.
  • Reply 218 of 266
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

"... get it up to the level of the iTunes ecosystem " You're joking, right? iTune is the most complicated, unintuitive application I have ever used. I would buy my parents iPad if it weren't for iTunes. Apple needs to figure a way to do without this dinosaur.

Sounds like you need smarter parents. My grandmother handles iTunes with ease.
  • Reply 219 of 266
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

Where are you coming up with that? It was long ago dispelled that the paid upgrades were tied to carrier contracts.
  • Reply 220 of 266
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darwiniandude View Post

Prediction:

You forgot to mention the reduced battery life once the Xoom gets Flash.